7/24 - Bandit - Experience with Clavamox (Augmentin)? Side effects?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bandit's Mom, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Just wanted to get inputs from folks who have used Clavamox (Augmentin) for their kitties. Bandit has been prescribed a course of 125mg BID for 15 days and she isn't liking it at all. Threw up and has lost her appetite.

I have given her half a 4mg tablet of Ondem, an antacid and started her on S. Boulardii. She is utterly miserable.

Oh and we don't know where the infection is! Vet takes a look at her labs and says they indicate an infection (they do) and it could be anywhere. She says it's a mild antibotic and doesn't want to recommend an alternative! :rolleyes:

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Update: I pointed out to the vet that an internet search says that vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite are common side effects of Clavamox/Augmentin in cats, she says she has never encountered it in practice!

Asks me to give Bandit 25mg of Enrofloxacin (Baytril) once a day for 10 days instead.

I don't suppose anyone has experience with that?

3. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Dolly has taken Clavamox, don’t remember if there were issues. She is now on Orbax, yesterday day 4 and she vomited and has been lethargic for days. I thought Dolly had taken them all but I’ve never heard of Baytril. They all have pretty much the same potential side affects. I just looked it up and the same side affects as other antibiotics. Good luck with her. Keep me posted, maybe Dolly should try that one. Dolly has to get all meds in liquid form. I hope she does well.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Ruby weighs about the same as Bandit and whenever she had bouts of nausea I gave her 4 mgs of ondansetron every 6 hours. That seemed to help a lot.

5. Bandit's Mom

I couldn't remember what my vet recommended the last time Budge had nausea and vomitting - whether it was half or full of the 4mg tab twice a day. Played it safe and gave half. Need to dig up the script and check.

6. Bandit's Mom

Thanks, Adrienne. I will keep you posted. I guess all antibitoics cause some kind of GI issues or the other.

7. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hope all goes well Bhooma. Poor kitty :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

My vet prescribed 2mg 2-3x a day, but I know Wendy has said many vets underdose. It's 0.5-1mg/kg up to 3 times a day, but Ive seen here 3-4mg 3-4 times a day.

Mr Kitty did not have an issue when he was on Clavamox. I want to say @Margaret (and Pearl) mentioned Baytril in a post not too long ago for someone else's cat's UTI?

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Clavamox is a harsh antibiotic. If you've been on Augmentin before, you know. Nausea and GI upset the name of the game for lots of kities. When my cats have an infection and they don't know where its at, they get Veraflox (or Baytril or Zeniquin). It's a pretty comprehensive antibiotic family and fewer side effects than the Clavamox. Also more likely to target an infection(s) wherever it's at in the body. I've had great success with Veraflox. For SOME kitties, Baytril can cause stomach upset and it tastes AWFUL, but if you can give a pill it's a ton easier than the liquid. I like the Veraflox liquid because it's marshmallow flavor but don't know how readily available it is where you are at, Bhooma. But I do have confidence in the Baytril/Veraflox drug class in terms of it getting at the infection, unless it's URI - that would be Azithromycin, but that one is also easy to diagnose so I doubt it is that for you. Get better, Bandit!!

Bandit's Mom and FrostD like this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I used Baytril "chewable" tablets when China had a nasty URI and she tolerated them well. Of course she wouldn't eat them willingly but I got pretty good with using a pill gun.

Suzanne & Darcy and Bandit's Mom like this.
  11. Bandit's Mom

Thank you, @FrostD @Margaret (and Pearl) and @Chris & China (GA)! Bandit has pretty much refused to eat all night. She's quite the one for food strikes. I could not even tempt her with her favourite HC kibble. Skipped the Clavamox last night.

She ate a little this morning with her shot and threw up two hours later. She has a tendency to vomit when her stomach has been empty for too long. She looks okay though. I'm the one worried sick.

I hope she will be okay by the end of the day. Except for the diabetes she has been a healthy baby all her life and I think this is the first time she's had to have an antibiotic!

Will try the Baytril tonight and hope she fares better on it.

Thanks again!

FrostD likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I've seen many a kitty here have GI discomfort with Clavamox. Adding a probiotic, at least two hours apart from the AB, can help restore the tummy flora. Having said all that, giving a antibiotic when you don't know what you are treating is an issue. Different antibiotics treat different types of bugs.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

Poor Bandit. Poor Bhooma. So sorry you are both having to go through this!
    I gave Tiger's brother Leo(GA) clavamox and it did clear up the infection/s he had going on. I don't think it made him sick.
    I think it is hard on the kidneys though. Maybe all antibiotics are--but when we need them we have to do it.
    Hugs to you and kisses yo the top of Bandit's head:bighug::kiss:

14. Bandit's Mom

:bighug: I was just looking at Tiger's SS too see how how the rest of the cycle went.

I'm going to try Baytril on Bandit. Hopefully she will tolerate that better! Fingers crossed!

15. Kathy and tiger

And paws crossed as well:)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Have used Clavamox on my cats many a time. It is a super effective antibiotic, BUT some of my cats just can’t handle it. Some take it with absolutely NO problems, but others just won’t eat or they vomit or they have massive diarrhea! Fun times for all. Since I have so many cats, I keep a chart of who can tolerate Clavamox and who cannot! Those who cannot are always prescribed an alternative antibiotic. Even though it’s a good drug, sometimes you have to get a different one. As for me, I have taken Augmentin for certain infections and most recently for an accidental cat bite infection, and …. Oh man!!! I have never had such intense acid reflux and heartburn in my life. That is how it manifested side effects in me — even with food and antacids, etc. I hope that I never have to take it again… although it was effective.

A Fae and Kathy and tiger like this.
  17. Bandit's Mom

Thanks Suzanne! Bandit seems to be one of those who can absolutely not tolerate it. Would you be able to remember which is the alternative antibiotic you use for your cats that can't tolerate Clavamox?

I'm hoping Bandit will fare better on Baytril!

Kathy and tiger likes this.
  18. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

So sorry you have to go thru this Bhooma and Bandit:bighug: we have no experience with these antibiotics but i hope you manage to find one that will sit better with Bandit :bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  19. Bandit's Mom

Thanks, Marina! I hope so too. :arghh:
    Chico is looking good! :cool:

Marina & Chico likes this.
  20. A Fae

A Fae Member

Ben sends good vibes. He has been very active and healthy his entire 13 years until the teeth then diabetes May, June. I'm so glad he tolerated Clavamox just hated getting syringed, it really helped him heal. I do much better pilling as it's over in a flash with a bite of turkey. I did get it from the compounding pharmacy I'm not sure what they do to it other than flavoring.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m sorry poor Bandit has an upset tummy with the a/ b. I gave Sheba Clavomax several times over the years and it never affected her

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  22. Bandit's Mom

Just realized yesterday that Bandit has never had to take any a/b all her life. Till her diabetes DX, she didn't even have to go to the vet except for her annual shots!

A Fae likes this.
  23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Same with Sheba. None of other my cats ever had antibiotics but Sheba used to be given it for UTIs and sometimes pancreatitis. I see to remember her being given Baytril once for a stubborn ear infection and she vomited some pink vomit so we stopped it.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

Since the infection is unknown, Baytril is a great option. If it were a UTI then I would say Zeniquin (once a day dosing! Yeah!). Baytril can be prescribed for once a day or twice, which did your vet prescribe? I hope Bandit feels better soon. How did you know she was ill? How was she acting?

25. Suzanne & Darcy

I NEVER let the vets give me liquid Clavamox. It comes in pill form in different strengths. I just pop it in with a pill popper and follow it up with treats/food. Or, for some difficult cats, I put it in a pill pocket. The cats hate this way less than liquid! Liquid tends to end up more on the person, the walls, the cat’s fur, etc. and not in the mouth.

26. Bandit's Mom

My vet prescribed 125mg Clavamox twice a day which is the higher end of the dosing spectrum for Clavamox. Bandit is 5 kgs so that's 25mg/kg twice a day.
    For Baytril, she has prescribed 25mg once a day.

Bandit has been peeing like crazy for the last week/10 days. And guzzling water to compensate for the loss by urination. No other symptoms. The routine urine test shows nothing but the Complete Blood Count indicates an infection - high WBC and high ESR.

Like blood splatter after a gory murder. LOL!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  27. Bandit's Mom

Margaret, I wanted to confirm the dosage of Baytril with you - if you know it? My vet has prescribed 25mg once a day for Bandit. She weighs approx 5 kilos (11lbs).

Just realized that my vet seems to have prescribed twice the normal dosage for Clavamox! 125mg BID instead of 62.5mg BID! No wonder Bandit was so sick yesterday! (Thanks @A Fae for pointing that out!)

28. Bandit's Mom

Hi Wendy, I don't know how I missed this earlier! Bandit had a pretty violent reaction to the very first dose of Clavamox (it now looks like she may have been prescribed the dog strength!). I did start her on S. Boulardii in anticipation of diarrhea but I wasn't expecting a total food strike!

My great vet didn't even bother to explore where the infection could be. She just said it could be anywhere and prescribed Clavamox saying it will take care of all infections except GI ones. I am going to try Baytril from tonight and hope it works out!

29. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Susie has had the Convenia injections in the past and tolerated them well but we also did not know where the infection was. Shots are supposed to last two weeks but I have read that they actually stay in the system longer. We had a high WBC count back in April and May. Just had labs done two days ago and the WBC is back to normal. Hope your kitty gets well soon and starts to feeling better, Bhooma.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  30. Margaret (and Pearl)

Hi Bhooma! Let me try to find some old medication bottles to confirm dosage of 25mg. It am not sure if it’s too little, it’s been awesome since we’ve done Baytril. It is given once daily, yes. Will post again soon.

31. Bandit's Mom

Thanks Margaret! I googled it and it said the maximum dose was 5.0 mg/kg (2.27 mg/lb) but thought I'd check with you in any case.

32. Margaret (and Pearl)

Bhooma in that case, 25mg is good dose and i don't need to check. It is a strong antibiotic and I do believe is not dosed as high the penicillin family, I usually use a liquid version (but liquid Baytril is horrendous; Veraflox is tasty).
    Do you want me to check or are you at peace with the dosing now?

33. Bandit's Mom

Thanks, Margaret! I will give her his dose and hope she tolerate it! :)

34. Margaret (and Pearl)

It’s more rare but some cats do get gi problems with the Baytril. Do you have a backup medicine if that happens? Can your vet order Veraflox from somewhere if needed?, I’m not sure if you could get it in your country or not.

35. Bandit's Mom

I have to look. I don't think it's available in India. :(

I'm hoping that her reaction was particularly severe since the dose was too high. Fingers crossed.

36. Margaret (and Pearl)

Zeniquin is also in the same drug family and I believe more available than the Veraflox. I have never used it but have heard good things - not positive if it is on a par with the Baytril for GI upset or not. But let’s just hope Bandit is not a rare cat, most cats do really well on Baytril! I just have weirdos ;)

37. Kathy and tiger

Too many Quentin Tarantino movies Bhooma!!
    Wish they could not make human errors!!! Makes it so hard to trust 'em! Human docs are human too:(:nailbiting:

Hope you and Bandit are on the mend:)

38. Bandit's Mom

An idea why one would cause less GI upset that the other considering that they are part of the same family of antibiotics (fluoroquinolones)?
    Oh Bandit is as weird as they come! I am sure she's not a cat - just trapped in a cat's body!

Hahaha! And too many crime shows! :cool:

I normally double and triple-check everything a vet says. Don't know how this got missed.

39. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hi Bhooma, just checking in on Bandit and if she is feeling better. What antibiotic is she on now, the Baytril? Does she have symptoms of anything you can put your finger on o_O? Sending healing prayers for whatever is ailing her. Will check back. :bighug::bighug:

I wanted to add that Dolly’s cat only vet that she has been going to since adoption, well the most current doctor she has there will give me anything I ask for including antibiotics. Does not give me a lot of trust in her decisions, it’s as if I supposedly know more than she does regarding plan of care and medications. I have not been back since she demanded I take Dolly off insulin immediately. Said I was playing with fire with her life.

Oh, and Dolly is also just disguised as a cat but I haven’t figured out exactly her true identity. I’m researching it :p.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  40. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

This may not relate to cats, but I'm actually allergic to augmentin. It's not a mild antibiotic at all for humans, but I'm not a vet so idk. I got red spots under my skin from my blood vessels rupturing and a fever after one dose. Had to quit immediately and go to urgent care. Apparently alot of humans react to it, but I have a true allergy. I hope I don't scare you off it, it just happened to me a little over a week ago and I'm still shocked about it lol! It's very strong, very common for GI upset in humans, and fights MRSA if I remember correctly. I have to use oil of oregano now because the Dr said I may be allergic to that whole subtype of antibiotics.

41. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Clavamox is the reason I now know the symptoms of nausea in cats, let’s just put it that way. Oh, and how about straight liquid poo 6 times a day for 10 days straight?
    We are not fans.
    Poor Bandit I’m sorry to hear she’s miserable.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  42. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

“anywhere” so helpful. Yeah, that’s way too high of a dose. Just looked up Temp’s dose at 4.9K and he was given 62.5. Rats, but now you won’t know how Bandit would tolerate a correct dose of Clavamox.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  43. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I’ve used Clavamox for years in cats with minimal adverse affects, however there’s the occasional cat with whom it doesn’t agree, and it sounds like Bandit might be one of them.

I’ve also used Baytril with no problems. I didn’t see it mentioned in this thread, but Baytril is on record as having caused blindness (retinal degeneration) in cats, though last I knew the risk was supposedly at higher doses. I believe the recommended dose is maximum 5mg/kg per day. I had a vet tell me years ago that it was only injectable Baytril that caused blindness, but I’ve not seen that confirmed elsewhere. Baytril is a good broad spectrum antibiotic, so don’t let the above deter you; I mention it only so you know to be careful with the dose and be fully informed.

I hope Bandit feels better soon.

edited to add: 62.5 mg BID is standard dosing for Clavamox, so I’m surprised the vet started at 125mg. I have actually had a cat on 125mg BID, but he was a very large cat and we knew what we were battling, so it was a somewhat aggressive dosing decision.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  44. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes, for years, I refused to allow my cats to take Baytril at all because of reading about the blindness issue... but it is apparently only at very high doses. You can read up on it.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  45. Suzanne & Darcy

Whoa! The 125 mg dose is done sometimes, but it is the MAX dose. Way too high for this unknown infection. If we suspect a UTI, I wish you could get Zenequin. But since she's on Baytril and doing okay... that's a good start. Did they do a urinalysis, culture and sensitivity test? Sorry if you already mentioned this. I hope this is making her feel better!! Can you get Bene-Bac in India. It is a really good probiotic and can be mixed with food. My animals seem to like it. She's going to need something after all this antibiotic.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  46. Suzanne & Darcy

And kidney values are okay?

47. Suzanne & Darcy

Just looked at the labs. Some of those are influenced by dehydration, as I am sure you know... such as the BUN. Her creatinine has had a slight uptick and that is a kidney value less influenced by dehydration and therefore more reliable. The urine specific gravity has fallen a bit since last time, but it can vary throughout the day so one test is not enough to tell. I hope the adorable
    masked Bandit will be back to normal soon!! Let us know! And she's dropped low on you today, too!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  48. Kathy and tiger

So glad you have all these knowledgeable people to help! Just looked at Bandit's SS...oh my. Wish I could find my ****ing magic wand!

49. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Hi Bhooma, just checking on Bandit:cat: I hope she is feeling better. I hope Budge is being a kind sister o_O. Well, at least I hope she is trying to be one, I know it’s a lot to ask :rolleyes: When you have a moment, update please, for your favorite DQ:p, I do worry :nailbiting: Does Bandit understand her mom has other responsibilities, especially to the diabetic cat world? Talk soon. Big hugs to all of you. Healing prayers for Bandit. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

50. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. How's Bandit. We all want to know! :) What is a DQ @Our Dolly Girl ?

51. Bandit's Mom

Thanks for checking-in Suzanne! :bighug:

We've given 2 doses of 10 of the Baytril. Giving her Ondem and S. Boulardii twice a day just as a precaution. She is not vomiting any more (thank to the Ondem, I guess!) but she does have bouts of inappetance. And she's not at all happy with all the pills being forced into her. We can't wait to finish the course!

52. Suzanne & Darcy

8 days to go!.... unless you are doing BID dosing? I'm trying to remember if you said it was prescribed for once a day or twice. I've done both before in different situations.

53. Bandit's Mom

Once a day, thank God! But she has to suffer the Ondem twice a day.

54. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

That would be the description for the ever anxious, worried, "Drama Queen:p" me :D

55. Scdal

Scdal Member

Hello Bhooma,
    I am so sorry, I didn't realize your cat was sick. Phoenix can not take Clavamox either. It gives him neurological side effects. He holds his head sideways. I had only given him a few doses when this happened.

I think you will be okay with the Baytril. Phoenix has taken it several times with no problems. I really hope your kitty gets to feeling better. I think we will both be glad when our cats finish their antibiotics. Let me know how your kitty is doing. It can be very worrying when they are sick. Hang in there, everything will be okay!!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  56. Margaret (and Pearl)

How is Bandit doing on the Baytril, Bhooma?

57. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh... of course Drama Queen!

58. Bandit's Mom

Much better, Margaret! I don't know if it's the Ondem and S. Boulardii that's helping or whether she reacted so badly to Calavamox because I dosed her at 2X the dose!
    3 doses done and 7 more to go.

59. Marina & Chico

Marina & Chico Well-Known Member

Thank God she is feeling better, that is some adventures you had to go thru o_O when i read your experience with the vet, it's just horrible not to be able to trust them at all :( i know for sure that is how we felt when Chico was diagnosed with diabetes... Until now, after 3 veterinarians in half a year i know i cannot trust any of their opinions on his GI issues... this just reminds me how lucky are people like @PerfumedCatMom to have a vet which they can trust

Bandit's Mom likes this.