Extremely worried and not eating please help

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by mary hornbeck, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

hi everyone:
    I know that I haven’t been here in a little while but I am very worried about my boy marmalade.
    Up until this week he was alert, eating and his BG levels stayed no higher than 250.

Currently this week, 12/6, he has been having diarrhea for about 2 days and this morning he wasn’t interested in any food. He has been drinking water though. I don’t know what his BG was so I gave him 2.5 units, 1/2 cup of food ( this was 6 am). He also had diarrhea around 6 and 8 am as well. When I got home from work around 1 o’clock he hadn’t touched any food but did eat some dehydrated chick then started eating some of his food ( royal canine gycobalance and his BG was 69. Retook BG at 1:45 and his BG was 115. At 5:20 tonight his BG was 380.

His next feed would be now at 6p, BG 388.My question is “if he is still not interested in eating what should I do in terms of giving or not giving insulin?”

Please help

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

I’m not experienced enough to help with dosing, but my gut would say if he is not eating to not give the insulin. Kitty obviously has an upset tummy.

Have you tried any canned food? Tuna? Cooked chicken? Anything to entice Marmalade to eat?

Have you thought about switching to a low/no carb wet food?
    Best thing I ever did for my cat was go to the low/no carb wet diet. I do feed Young Again Zero dry food to supplement the wet food.

@JanetNJ do you have any ideas?

Also, you can post to the main health forum and put 911 in the heading to get attention.

3. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I have been switching him to low carb but just can’t commit to the testing with my work hours. He ate a quarter of his food tonight and so far no diarrhea. I am hoping that tomorrow his appetite will be somewhat better. Once I enticed him with dehydrated chicken he ate some of his food for 5-10 minutes or so but then walked away and drank some water. I’ll post to main forum, thank u fir the assistance

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

His numbers are high so I'd give him something, but 2.5 is probably too much without food. Id cut it back to 1-1.5. If he's still not eating normally tomorrow consider taking him for a checkup.

Have you looked into young again zero carb dry food rather than that high carb dry? Or wet fancy feast?

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Have you tested him for ketones? The symptoms could be a sign of pancreatitis. Do your work hours change daily?

6. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Hi I haven’t tested him for ketones yet. My work hours change periodically. I am wondering if this is irritable bowl as I gave marmalade a piece of raw chicken that I had in the fridge and he ate it with no problem but then again he refused dehydrated chicken around noon time today. I have so much running threw my head right now. He is staying at the vet tomorrow

7. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Hi. I just got back from the vet and his bloodwork was normal, no keytones or signs of irritable bowl. He is healthy and is maintaining his weight. The vet said that it was more of a food issue which I am leaning towards since he is Hungary and will keep pieces of cooked chicken down

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,
    good to hear it.Esp the absence of ketones! Very big, huge deal.

It would be wise to ask your vet to give you a copy of his bloodwork - tell him you simply like to keep it at home. Someone on here I know is extremely good at interpreting the results and she also has an extensive knowledge of diabetes. I personally never ask my vet's opinion - I discuss Ducia'a blood tests with her here. One day you might want to have her to take a look at Mamalade's.

Finding the good quality, diabetic friendly foods which also won't break your bank is a challenge for many of us here...unfortunately... but a lot of knowledge has been collected for over the years and if needed you 'll get many tip on foods.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  9. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Some times my work hours change when I need the extra hours I usually can find them. But not daily. Since he’s been home no diahrea or vomiting and he has been eating all of his food but his numbers are climbing I.e. lowest 305 highest 396

Blood work was all within normal ranges, no keytones

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You're planning on setting up a spreadsheet, correct? It's so helpful for us to see all the data on it.

11. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I am setting up spread sheet with another person on this site, I sent her the info late today so it’s probably not done yet

12. Kris & Teasel

I answered your dosing question on your other thread.

13. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

My newly diagnosed cat Ciara would not eat today so i rang my vet about tonights injection she said not to give it I just hope Ciara eats tomorrow or i will be very worried
    We had a hot day in the UK today but i dont think that affects cats appetite
    Any ideas what to do if she will not eat tomorrow
    Got an appt with my vet for 6pm if she does not

14. Kris & Teasel

Please start your own thread here so your posts don't get lost in someone else's.

15. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Thank you i cant seem to find where to start a new thread

16. Kris & Teasel

17. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.