FDA New Treatment for Osteoarthritis for Cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tiffmaxee, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannah3405

Hannah3405 New Member

I tried this for my 20yr old kitty and one dose made her OA significantly worse within a week or two so I won't be continuing to use it.

2. MaryB

MaryB Member

It made a huge difference for my Chloe. She is running and jumping like never before after shot 2. She still gets adequen maybe once/twice a month the vet said that’s fine since they don’t work the same. In addition to her acupuncture I would say the solensia easily took off a few years for her! I’m happy with it. i understand your concerns on cost, if I had to choose between the 2 I would take solensia

3. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

Lamborghini began walking around more within just a few days of his first shot. The day after his second shot, I hear this thunderous noise coming down the stairs--It was Lamborghini at a RUN being chased by the two younger cats he had somehow pissed off. He's a big boy, 14-1/2 pounds, and he's still slow and clunky, but the old dude was actually running (or maybe a really really fast trot?). He's up and about now much more than before we started Solensia, he used to just eat and poop and sleep. Now he's walking about, stalking us any time we enter the kitchen (No, Lambors, lunch time isn't for 2 hours yet, go away) and interacting with the younger cats in the house.

Howiesmom, Teetee (UK) and Kahluasmom like this.
  4. Kahluasmom

Kahluasmom Well-Known Member

Is Solensia only available from the vet? I had thought I'd seen it online with a prescription, but now I'm not finding it. My civvie, Mouse, is so sore. I'd bet many of her recent problems are due to arthritis.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I could only find it from UK: https://www.viovet.co.uk/Solensia-7-mgml-solution-for-injection-for-cats/c88595/
    and New South Wales: https://discountpetmeds.com.au/solensia-7mg-vial-2s/ Thjs side gives prices in USD

HOwever, it requires refrigeration and thus shipping from overseas is not practical.
    STORAGE CONDITIONS SOLENSIA should be stored upright in a refrigerator, between 35°– 46°F (2°– 8°C). Do not freeze. Protect from light. See in-use instructions provided in the DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION section

Kahluasmom likes this.
  6. Kahluasmom

Mouse just had her first dose!!!

ETA: The shot burns a bit. Mouse jumped and bit me and we had to do 2 shots.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Wishing Mouse all the best :cat:

Kahluasmom likes this.
  8. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie has had 5 Solensia injections so far. While I see improvement, i can tell he is in more pain as he is much more growly and hissy when I try to pick him up and when he can't get comfortable on my lap or even just trying to sit. The cold Minnesota winter doesn't help either! I want to ask my vet for a supplemental pain med. He gave me Gabepentin before that I could put in his ear and it didn't do anything and was an utter mess. What are other options that work and not a cream to rub in his ears?

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I see a lot of members give
    buprenorphine for pain.
    You may want to post a new thread about this and copy and post want you wrote above

Howiesmom likes this.
  10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Maria, was the Solensia straight out of the fridge when you gave the shot? Just wondering if that's why it may have stung..? With Bonbon I fill the syringe and then leave it on the worktop for a few minutes to come to room temperature, she doesn't like it when it's really cold, bless her....

11. Kahluasmom

She said she warmed it first so it wouldn't sting. Mouse jumped a mile whenever she started injecting. It's not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  12. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

Old Lamborghini has just had his fifth shot, so we started 4 months ago (just before Christmas).
    This has taken years off his age. He moves so much better, and much more often. Before, he just slept, drank, ate, pooped, slept.
    Now he's out and about (mostly complaining that we don't feed him often enough) and climbs in our laps for cuddles and occasionally harasses the younger cats, even engaging in a thunderous trot or even run trying to "get" them! He sometimes plays with toys, too, for a little bit.
    Before he was simply existing. Now he is living again.
    It's good to have our ol' boy back again!

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

How is Howie doing now?

Howiesmom likes this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

That is great to hear. Thanks for sharing this experience. It could really help some other cats. I'm so happy for you and Lamborghini!

Gracie85 likes this.
  15. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Howie just had his 7th shot last week. I think it’s helping him as he squirms less and isn’t as cranky. But he does do anything like run/trot or play (unless Jungle Gym Mommy at 545am is what he considers playing!). I added Adequan to his regimen. Again, I’m not sure how much it all helps, but he seems in less pain.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

So you are using both Solensia and Adequan?

17. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Yep, he’s been on Adequan (with Solensia) since February.

18. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

This thread is super helpful! I just saw an advertisement for this on Instagram the other day, and took a screenshot to ask my vet. Took my cat Bella in for another suspected UTI, and I brought up her limping and difficulty walking, and the vet mentioned it. I had to come here to see what you all have to say. We aren’t sure whether the source of Bella’s lumping and pain is neuropathic or orthopedic. But it’s bad enough that my husband and I have discussed how her quality of life is starting to really decline. We tried gabapentin for a month and it didn’t improve the limping, but made her SOOO sleepy that she just stayed upstairs and slept the entire time and never walked around or interacted with us at all. So we stopped it once we ran out.I think once we are done treating her UTI, I’m going to make an appointment to try this. I might wait to discuss it with her IM vet at her next visit, but either way I think it’s worth trying, since we don’t really have other good options.

19. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm still on the fence about trying Solensia with my 16yo civvie Wicket. He has asthma and chronic pancreatitis, and his appetite is very fragile as it is, I'm worried about the possible GI effects.
    He's one of the very rare (to my knowledge) cats to have an adverse reaction to Adequan (lethargy and loss of appetite for a couple of weeks after each shot), so we had to stop after 3 shots, which makes me even more nervous about Solensia.
    Has anyone observed appetite/GI issues with their cats when they started taking it?

20. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

My cat can’t have that supplement either because it has chicken flavor and she has IBD. I hear what you’re saying. For me, I might take the chance because if she continues to go down this path, I don’t think we will be able to keep her around very long without feeling like she’s suffering. So I’m strongly considering jt, but also understand why someone else would be hesitant,

21. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Ginger, my long haired calico, just turned 19 last Friday, and has some kidney disease. She gets bloodwork every 3 months and her next appointment is June 3rd.
    She has always had wonderful soft hair (not much undercoat) and kept it herself (never needed brushing), but just recently since February has started getting mats in her back end, and I am battling those. Maybe it's from not being able to reach back there. I don't want to shave her, but will ask the vet for help.
    I mentioned Solensia to my vet last July and we agreed to start Adequan. She gets 0.1ml every two weeks. But, I ordered the Equine Adequan as someone a long long time ago said that's what she used because it does not have the preservative that the Canine Adequan does. Now, after reading that the Solensia does not have a preservative and thus must be used and anything left in the vial discarded, I'm wondering if I should switch to the Canine version of Adequan.
    For her age, she gets around pretty good, but I hate it when she jumps down from surfaces like my desk, so I put piles of blankets on the ground for her to land on. I was going to get pet stairs for her Birthday but instead bought her a pet stroller which she enjoys to go on walks outside.

I think I'll mention Solensia again to my vet next Saturday, and ask about the Adequan.

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Ana & Frosty (GA) --
    Gabapentin is only effective for neuropathic (nerve) pain. If it didn't work, it may mean the source is more orthopedic. If so, has the vet suggested Xrays?

23. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Based on my experience w/my civi Mia, gabapentin also helps w/joint related pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.