Feeding Raw to a Feline Diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobinCot, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I am fostering a feline diabetic who came with a boatload of low carb canned food but since I am transitioning my own cats to a Raw Food diet, I offered him some Rabbit (I use Dr. Pierson's recipes and have read catinfo.org and catnutrition.org a zillion times). He cleaned the plate in one sitting. I own one kitty that will tolerate the raw and two who don't even like to see it mixed into their canned food, so imagine how good this makes me feel - but it is not about me feeling good.

So my question is: Is it okay to feed a Feline Diabetic a Raw Food diet?

I have read Dr. Pierson's page on FD and am home-testing so I know about her cautions, but I wanted to know what you all think.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you are following good food handling procedures, yes, you may feed raw. Note that Dr P also lightly cooks the outsides of meat before using, just in case.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes raw is fine for a diabetic cat. Nice low carb there. :D Purchased raw usually has the supplements already added but if you are making your own, you know to add the supplements to give your cats a balanced diet.

You have certainly read about how to make raw on those two websites.

Like any cat, your diabetic cat may eat the raw one day and turn his nose up at it the next. A variety of flavors is nice. That is one reason I could never get my diabetic Wink to eat the Purina DM - pork liver was not a favorite. He is being a cat after all and so is your cat. :lol: :lol:

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

My diabetic cat loves raw food! I used minced whole wild rabbit and add supplements to it, along with extra fat and muscle meat (because the rabbit is low fat and bone dense).

Currently that only forms part of his diet but if I had the time - and the freezer space - I'd definitely consider feeding him and my other cats entirely on raw. It's great to know what has actually gone into the food, and it's a brilliant way to reduce the carb content of the cat's diet.

Eliz

5. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I was trying to change Baloo to a higher protein diet than the Evo 95 chick/turkey which is very high fat. Hes 24 pounds and needs to lose weight. I tried Primal Turkey and he Gobbled ( :roll: ) it up. I was also trying Weruva, and I think it upset his tummy so he was off his food..now hes snarfing Stella and Chewys rehydrated freeze dried.. of course the most expensive of the lot. But hes liking it. NOw I just have to make sure it doesn't make his megacolon worse.

I would rather not feed S& C because they refused to give Dr. Lisa the nutrition analysis but..hes eating it. Maybe I can transition to primal later.

Congrats and thanks on being Snoballs foster mommy!

6. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I made a whole batch of Raw Rabbit and my cats won't touch it so I am delighted to give it to my sugarcat. I am going to mix up a small batch of duck this weekend to see who takes to that. I also have ground goat, and pheasant in the freezer from Hare Today. In between I grind my own chicken thighs. My three cats have not had a single urp or hairball since starting the transition although they have gone hungry for a day when the turned up their noses to the tiny amount I am mixing into their food to get them used to it. My sugarcat though... he doesn't need any mixing or FortiFlora or parmesan. He just likes it watery and that plate of raw meat is a goner.

I didn't know that about Stella and Chewys. The rescue group gave me several bags of treats and I assumed they were low carb. I will have to check it out. My own cats like dehydrated chicken liver treats - but only the Oliver and Iris brand. I may switch to these kinds of treats for my sugarcat as well. I have not tried to buy Raw food already prepared like Primal because I was intent on making my own but I may look into that as well - if they like it then that would ease the transitioning battle somewhat.

And, yes -- I am using Dr. Lisa's recipe and advice in my Raw venture. I am also reading Michelle Bernard's book, "Raising Cats Naturally"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.