Fin won't eat AMPS 145

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Finster, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Finster

Finster Member

Fin had diarrhea three times yesterday afternoon but ate well and only one more bout of diarrhea during the nigh. BUT at +10 it started again. AMPS 145 but he will not eat. Should I wait to give shot? Or is BG high enough without food. I will call vet when they open in few hours and have him seen today but I'm not sure what to do about am shot.

2. Finster

Finster Member

I convinced him to eat a small amount with the magic chicken dust and I gave regular .5 units. I will keep tempting with food and call vet in a few hours.

3. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Hope Fin feels better soon :bighug:

4. Finster

Finster Member

Thank you! He ate some more and is resting. +1 is 138. I hope that means he ate enough food to keep him from going too low.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Wow. Just seeing this. I hope Fin will be okay. Did he go to the vet this week? I remember you were talking about getting some bloodwork done. I hope they can give him some metronidazole for the diarrhea. It’s usually quite effective in a very short period of time. I hope he’s not dehydrated from the diarrhea. Will he eat food with water added?

6. Finster

Finster Member

Since about 8:00 he has actually been drinking a ton of water and very hungry. I spoke with mobile vet last week but she could not do the urine specimen without ultrasound..so I waited and now here we are. I was able to get him in at regular ver this morning. They drew blood and urine-should have results by Tuesday. They tested glucose and came back at 99 and told me to keep an eye on him as that's low according to them. Sent me home with carina and probiotics. No diarrhea for about 6 hours. I hope it is over.

Lisa and little and Lee Renfro like this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

What’s carina?

8. Finster

Finster Member

Should say Cerenia. Said it would help with nausea.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh. Got it. Well I wonder why they think he’s nauseated? I guess if he doesn’t eat - or only licks the top of food and walks away- or licks his lips a lot - or grinds his teeth over the food bowl - then those are classic signs of nausea. It can’t hurt and can also have a little anti inflammatory effect in the guy - so it may help that way too. Metronidazole is more anti-inflammatory - but if the diarrhea stops then hopefully that’s the end of it.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope he is running around soon and enjoying his walks in the garden.

11. Finster

Finster Member

they were going to give him a shot of something but I was afraid it would mess him up so I said I'd rather take the pills home and try a wait and see approach- unless they felt it was completely necessary. They said the pills would work too. He did lick his lips but also ate so it's hard to say.
    He has kept food down-only vomited once and that was yesterday. Sometimes I think they have a policy that states "patient may not leave office empty handed"
    It's not like him to have diarrhea. Hopefully it was just the result of too much grass or maybe he licked a lizard when we weren't looking:) I don't think it's associated with his food as both episodes were hours after last meal/treat. Either way he needed blood and urine tests and now those are done. No fever and lungs are clear....and I need ulcer meds;)

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh boy, I understand about the ulcer meds! Been needing those a lot here lately - as such, I haven’t been on the Board much either. Maybe they just wanted to give a shot pf Cerenia, who knows, but it’s only good for 24 hours anyway so it’s probably better to have the pills. Injectable is good if they can’t keep anything down. Hope Fin is all better soon.

Finster likes this.
  13. Finster

Finster Member

Fin had a good day. Ate well and kept everything down. Hope your weekend has been restful or at least uneventful.

FrostD and Shelley & Jess like this.
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

Good to hear about Fin! Yes. My weekend was uneventful and I am happy with that. Later this week I will have to take my cat Ginger on a two hour trip to see a cardiologist. We will leave here at about 6:30 a.m. … long day… especially for Ginger. Fortunately, she’s a good traveler and settles down in the car. I’ve ordered one of these larger cat playpens for travel that can hold a small litterbox since the whole trip will be long.

how were Fin’s numbers today? I didn’t see anything after AMPS on the spreadsheet.

Finster likes this.
  15. Finster

Finster Member

I haven't heard of the playpens for travel. Can you share a link? My sister is traveling,1200 miles, with her senior cat and the playpen sounds awesome. I hope Ginger has a good doctor visit. I have been lazy with my spreadsheet and testing in general :( I always do pre-shot check but that's been about it during this weekend. I will do better this week. His anal glands are bothering him this morning. I should have had them checked while at vet on Saturday but slipped my mind. He has had a great appetite and energy this weekend. Even gained a few ounces back. I'm anxious to see the blood/urine results. I will share as soon as I get them.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

Finster likes this.
  17. Finster

Finster Member

Thank you for the link...she bought one and is trying to get kitty used to it. I hope Ginger's visit to the cardiologist went well.

18. Suzanne & Darcy

Thank you. It’s tomorrow! Car broke down and I had to rent one for us to go up there tomorrow! I’m very determined.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

I have been thinking about you and Finster. How are you both doing?