Fine tuning BS control

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna M, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna M

Donna M New Member

Bagheera’s blood sugar has been remarkably stable. I have him using Lantus insulin. For the past 3 weeks his blood sugars are in the 100’s with a rare 200 to 220. I have not had to give him insulin for 2 1/2 weeks. My question is this: I know a normal BS for cats is between 80 and 120. Do I give him insulin to maintain a blood sugar in that range...Such as 1/2 unit dose? Most of his blood sugars are between 145 and 190. He no longer is symptomatic; no excessive thirst or urination, his strength coming back in hindquarters, more energetic, ( and for some crazy reason he’s waaay more affectionate now!). Any thoughts?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Are the numbers given from using a human meter or pet meter?

3. Donna M

Donna M New Member

Human meter

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

This is from a sticky at the top of the Lantus forum "...you want to see mostly green numbers (under 100) with only a few random blue numbers between 100 - 120 to help ensure a strong remission. Most kitties will be in the range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL) overall."

You can give even less than 1/2 unit. This is also from that sticky "We've found many kitties benefit from reducing the dose from 0.25u to 0.1u before stopping insulin completely."

I suggest you post on the Lantus forum. It is where you will get the most 'traffic' from experienced Lantus users. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.