first curve at home

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sally the Calico, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

Good morning!
    Just a quick note to share that I did Sally's first curve at home yesterday and have sent the results to the vet. I am guessing her dose needs to increase, but will wait to see what the vet says, as well as any advice you may have.

The vet had called me yesterday and was pleased to hear that I'm home testing and said she felt I knew what i was doing and handling things well. That is ONLY with a huge thanks to this site and everyone here! She did suggest that at some point she may want me to come in with my glucometer and compare readings to their Alphatrack (?) just to make sure we are in the same ballpark on numbers.

2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Mostly I'm just here to tell you that you and Sally are totally awesome! Way to rock that first curve!
    I'm not an expert, but looking at your sheet, I suspect you are correct about the dose increase. Your vet will let you know for sure. Do keep in mind that folks here that know what they are doing suggest increases slowly, .25 of a dose at a time, then wait 3 12-hour cycles for it to settle in. Slow and steady is the key to changes. It's wonderful that your vet is working with you on this. All of you rock!

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Your vet is a keeper.

It's the Alphatrak 2 if it's the newer model.

Finally! A vet that understands that BG readings between a pet specific meter and a human meter only need to 'be in the ballpark' on numbers.

Congratulations on doing the curve yourself at home. Less stress for your Sally, lower cost for you.

Sally the Calico likes this.
  4. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

@Deb & Wink .... I emailed Sally's curve to the vet and she just called me back.

She recommends moving her dose from 2u to 3u. I asked if 2.5 might be better, but she said she felt that we would eventually end up at 3u anyway, and since I'm home to keep checking her, she thought 3u is best, if we hope to get Sally in remission.

Seems like a big jump to me, what do you think? I hate to go against what my vet says, but I only want to do what's best for Sally. The vet has asked that I do another curve in two weeks.

5. Deb & Wink

As your vet said, you may end up at 3U eventually. But if you increase by whole units at a time, it's possible to bypass the appropriate dose.

1. Option 1 We tend to be a bit more conservative in the dose increases. You could always increase to 2.5U for now. Keep on testing. Try to get some spot tests in during the night. The before bed test is a good one to do regularly. Even some spot checks at other times in the PM cycle could be good. (Cats often go lower at night because they are more active then.) Do another curve in 1 week. Increase again if not seeing much movement in the BG numbers.

2. Option 2 Re-evalute the dose with the spot checks in 3 days or so. And bump up the dose if needed.

3. Option 3 Increase the dose to 3U as your vet suggested.

What do you think?

I don't want you to go against your vet. Working with your vet (a good one I might add) is important.

6. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

Thanks Deb!
    I do feel that's a big jump. And she is a good vet... I feel if we had found her sooner we wouldn't have lost our tabby Sam.

I was thinking along the lines of your first option. :) .
    I could go to 2.5u for 3 or 4 cycles and keep tabs on how she responds to it. I could then up to 3u if we aren't seeing better numbers. At least it would be a slower transition instead of one big jump.... wouldn't that be easier on her system?

7. Deb & Wink

Not so much easier on her system, but because you don't want to bypass the correct dose and might help with the bouncing Sally has been experiencing.

Which could be easier on her system now that I think about it (less bouncing that is). High numbers don't make cats feel well either.

While remission is nice, making your cat feel better first is more important.