Hubby and I decided to get a good night of sleep and start Sid tonight instead of waking up at the crack of dawn and trying to do the first shot half asleep. Sid's ketones are totally negative, I tested that. Vet's AlphaTrak2 read 18. something while my Freestyle read 10.7 once, and then in the 12 range, while his stayed between 17 and 18. Sid is getting 1u of Lantus every 12 hours. We are going to do our very best to test him beforehand. **At what number do I not shoot?** I don't really anticipate that, but I still want to be safe, and I don't want to be running to the forum to check my answers before doing the shot. One thing that's frustrating is that I have been giving low carb food for days, but Sidney is on a pill for the UTI infection that has to be crushed for him to take (I checked, it's okay). HOWEVER, it takes me four-five pill pockets to get the pill into him. I cannot use cheese or dairy as it's not allowed with the pill. I cannot pill Sid, not even with a pill gun. it's not an option. We have ten more days of this. *Sigh* He won't take the pill with food, and he spits pills out. So that's a sucky carb barrier I'm dealing with at the moment. However ALL his food is low carb. I also have a lot of worries that if I can't get a test in, how do I give him a shot? What if it takes me 40 minutes to do the test and I end up late with the shot? It's fairly anxiety inducing because I simply don't *know* if I am going to be able to get a test every time. We are new at this, and I don't want to miss the 7 schedule. It's imperative to not go beyond that really because I will need help with the shots and tests and hubby leaves for work at 730 every day. Anyway, I'm doing the best I can at the moment, and it's going to have to be enough, because that's all I have.