First time BG testing advice pls

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Natasha2001, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Natasha2001

Natasha2001 Member

Hello, I only just got a glucose l meter for my cat.

I fed him then took his BG, which was 24mmol which I believe is 434mg/dl (my device shows 24. He has eaten previous to this feeding.

I then gave him his insulin twenty minutes after.

My question is when do I test the BG again? He is only on his 4th day of insulin, and only been checked once at the very. Should I be attempting a curve right away?

I've been searching the forum trying to find a definitive testing guide but I'm not seeing it!

Thank you everyone

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Natasha2001 likes this.
  3. Natasha2001

Natasha2001 Member

Ummlee and Vengeance likes this.
  4. Ummlee and Vengeance

Ummlee and Vengeance Member

try not to get overwhelmed.. just take it slowly and you will get it figured out and the people on here are awesome help I am new ( a few weeks) and they have been so helpful..

just a quick info you test before you give insulin that way you know if dosages will need to be adjusted etc. also fill out your spreadsheet fully so people can know what meter you have and etc.. for the AMPS and PMPS you want to not give any food for 2 hrs before .. test then if #'s call for it give dose.. but read the whole thread that JanetNJ posted shes a rockstar with helping us newbies :)

Natasha2001 likes this.
  5. Natasha2001

Natasha2001 Member

Such a learning curve, but every new but of information is such a relief. Everyone has been so helpful and I know for sure I would have been lost without the guidance here. Seems like the vet withholds a lot of detail just because they don't expect owners to take that much initiative.

Ohhhhh, thank you, I had filled out my AMPS, but I had taken that at 30 minutes after feeding just before giving the insulin, so I should be taking the number prior to his meal and then waiting the 30 to give his insulin if I am reading what you have said correctly? Also I had a bit of trouble when I tried to fill out the cells for the meter etc it wasn't showing up like the numbers do? I will have another look and figure it out. And will reread that thread. Thank you for the support!

Thanks again!

6. Ummlee and Vengeance

Ummlee and Vengeance Member

Yeah you want to check his Blood BEFORE the shot then feed then Insulin.. I use Vetsulin but its the US brand I am guessing youre in Canada? the cats numbers will change with food so that would change the insulin amounts which you want to do those based on a at least 2 hr fast ( no food for 2 hrs prior ) to the AMPS or PMPS testing and Shot times.. Oh my vet handed me syringes and bottle of insulin showed me how to stick the cat using some saline and said we will see you in a month to do a Cycle...I had already read up on it being he was hospitalized for 5 days while they tried to level him out.. he was in bad bad shape when I took him in and didnt know it.. I asked my vet about me testing at home.. NO .. you dont need to to do ... IF I had not ignored her and came on here and discussed with the members told them the dosage and #'s I was getting.. I dont think he would be here right now.. and ( knock on wood) hes in starting remission after only 2 weeks .. by changing his diet and etc I was able to level him out and he has not had to have insulin for 6 day as of tonight.. I am the one in a million case if things keep going as they are.. ( anti-jinx) I am doing a 16 hr Cycle on him today..My big thing will be when I go back to my vet and have to deal with telling them I did everything they said NOT to... thou in the long run it saved my cat.... I will say it over and over if not for the people on here I have no idea what I would have done and I am so thankful for the help they have given..

7. Natasha2001

Natasha2001 Member

Ok great thanking for that, I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise, I am going to do again two hourly tomorrow and things should be more accurate then, thanks! I am in australia, and they have put him on Caninsulin, I think it is from the same manufacturer as vetsulin?

I am sorry you had to go through all that, your cat is VERY lucky you are its owner and made sure to get him the best possible treatment outcome, unbelievable that vets can be so flippant like that. I had taken my cat to the vet 4 times 4 months ago, frequent urination, lethargy, weak back leg, and was sent away with anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics each time. I switched his diet at the time thinking weight loss might help his back leg, put him on pretty much 100% raw food, and he was himself again for a few months. Then I started adding dry food back in and he declined rapidly and I finally switched vet and got a diagnosis. Lucky my new vet is very pro me testing him myself, and said that numbers are far more accurate at home where they are relaxed

I am hopeful that his response to a diet change before means he might respond again now and go into remission too (it must be such a relief to see your numbers down to the point of remission, that is awesome!). I understand your enthusiasm to thank the people on here!, it really restores faith to have people so eager to help and show that level of car for the animal. Scary to think of the decline that could take place under vet care, I still find it hard to understand how they can be so off the mark with treatment plans/monitoring.

My cats lowest number so far has been 340 with 2iu of caninsulin, and he just sleeps and sleeps, so praying it balances out soon.

Thank you for sharing your story, it has given me a lot of hope, and correcting my mistake I wouldn't have known otherwise!

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

Are you feeding low carb food?

9. Natasha2001

Natasha2001 Member

I was feeding the Hills glucose support dry food. Right now as of today I am feeding raw meat and the low carb fancyfeast pate. Prior it was raw meat and some dry food. If you see my spread sheet it only has the first days numbers, but still really high despite low carb

10. JanetNJ

Ok it may take a day or two for the high carb to leave his system. I'm glad you switched. I'd give it a couple days on this dose with the new food, then we can see if it's time for an increase. We will get there. :)

Ummlee and Vengeance likes this.
  11. Natasha2001

Natasha2001 Member

Thank you for being so reassuring, when I got the black number last night I had a little cry he was just so unwell (I never cry). I am glad a switched too, I am guessing numbers like his warrant a quick switch rather than gradual. I wasn't able to get any blood to test him before his shot an hour ago, I will try again before I expect the insulin to drop to its low just the get an idea. His little ears are a bit bruised from yesterday (struggling with 30g lancet, but I order in some 28), vet had mention it might happen at first but more capilaries would grow and he would have an easier time bleeding. He was a little bit perky and hungry this morning which was nice to see. He is in desperate need of gaining weight too, so fingers crossed it gets better quickly./vent

Thank you again for being reassuring, exactly what I needed to hear!

JanetNJ likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

It's not a death sentence and they can live long healthy lives with it. My cat was diagnosed with it 4.5 years ago.

The thicker lancet will help. Make sure you aren't aimimg for the vein and do be afraid of poking through. You could do two quick pokes in the same spot of you need a sample. A little neosporin ointment with pain relief will help those ears. Once you poke give the ears a gentle squeeze with the cotton pad to prevent bruising.

Natasha2001 likes this.
  13. Natasha2001

Natasha2001 Member

Managed to get the blood issue sorted with a little rice sack for heat. Thanks for the advice re squeezing, no more bruising since then!

JanetNJ likes this.