First time sub-q Ringers with Diabetic cat; when to do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lois and Java, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Per Java's vet, his labs that came in today show a well supported kitty with some kidney issues that would be helped a lot by sub-q fluids. Java had been getting them for awhile, but we stopped because his values were low and not changing. So I am ready to infuse him tonight, and will be picking up the Ringers shortly. I know not to use same injection sites - I would infuse Ringers in scruff, and shoot insulin on his sides anyway.

If I give him a infusion tonight, when do I do it relative to his insulin? We are now around +8.5 from AM shot. Thanks for any help. I'd love to get him fluids tonight if possible.

Edit - after posting, I realized I had just enough time to reach vet before they closed. He said the insulin is picked up and used immediately by the body, while ringers takes hours, so it shouldn't matter re timing between them.
    I'll do my usual p.m.pt, shot, then ringers an hour later. Or ringers before insulin if I get home in enough time

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the only issue would be that if you did the ringers before the insulin, the pre-shot BG test might not be accurate. I think you want at least an hour between them if you do it in that order.

Kris & Teasel and Lois and Java like this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just do not shoot in the area when you dripped in the LRS

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Some kitties' BGs may drop some after receiving fluids (not all), but even if they do, the preshot BG test is "accurate". The BG is what it is.

Depending on my schedule, Alex would often often get fluids and then I would immediately test, feed, and shoot. It worked out well for her because she was one of those kitties whose appetites would pick up after fluids. This was an added perk when dealing with a sick and often inappetant cat.

Lois and Java likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.