First week

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rosen, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Rosen

Rosen New Member

Hello everyone,
    Our cat, Rosen, was recently diagnosed with diabetes and we started him on Prozinc on Wednesday (3 days ago). He's getting 1 unit twice a day with very low carbohydrate diet (barf). At the moment we don't have any support from our vet (made official complaint, waiting for response). Vet advised to increase his dose to 2 units after his very first shot wasn't effective enough, which we refused to do.
    My concern is, with each day his glucose level seems to be higher. Before we started insulin, his morning fasting reading were usually 320-340, yesterday it was 400, today 461. I've never seen such high result, even after meal. Is this expected? Is this some body's way to adjust? Should we increase his dose earlier than week in?
    Thanks for all your thoughts and advice

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hello there, I'm a bit tied up today but want to make sure somebody gets back to you. We usually recommend people start on the Main Forum but this is ok too

@Diane Tyler's Mom if you're around today, would you mind giving all the spreadsheet, signature and stuff info and links? If not no worries I'll be back around tonight.

In the meantime Rosen, please do stick with 1U

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome if you can please fill out the information here about Rosen
    Tap in the blue writing. You will see the information about our cats at the end of everyone's posts
    See mine it's in gray writing

Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is the link on how to create our spreadsheet and it also explains how it works
    If you have trouble with it just post here and ask for help.
    We track our cats BG on the spreadsheet to see how the insulin is working for them and how low they are dropping . You can look at any members spreadsheet it's attached to our signature. Mine says/Tyler's spreadsheet, look at others only because Tyler is in remission now

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to- nowcreate-a-spreadsheet.241706/

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Diane! Just getting back online now

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem at all Melissa :cat:
    I love the pics you have of Mr Kitty on your SS :cat:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  8. Rosen

Rosen New Member

Sorry, all the hell broke loose here with kids sick and our other cat completely blocked and i totally forgot about my questions. I'll try to add details and spreadsheet as soon as I can.

9. Rosen

Rosen New Member

Thanks for your help. We gave 1U for a week, today increased it too 1.25 because his glucose was to high. Thanks to this forum info I know what I'm doing and what to do next

FrostD likes this.
  10. Rosen

Rosen New Member

I'll do that, thanks

11. Rosen

Rosen New Member

Can someone confirm if the link works? Don't know why it's shown like this

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes I can see your spreadsheet and signature, one favor go back to your signature , go up too to your name , tap on it and a drop down will appear , you will see the word signature tap on it and please add the meter you are using and what food you are feeding , all low carb what kind , or are you feeding both wet and dry , or just dry.
    Sorry that your kids/are sick and your other kitty is blocked, have you tried miralax?
    @Rosen

13. Rosen

Rosen New Member

Done, well I hope it's done
    Haven't try miralax. We're in UK and as far as I know it's not available here. Luckily he went after second glicerin suppository. Now we just need separate diet for both of the cats as healthy one clearly needs more fibre/carbs

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.