Food advice for diabetes/IBS cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Terri Caiazzo, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve been here because my cat, Xena, (now 13) went into remission three years ago after using Lantus insulin. She did well on Fancy Feast pate diet up until last year when she started vomit daily (a lot). She had lost a couple of pounds which was attributed to the vomiting. The vet suspected IBS and we changed her food to Ultamino (dry), and the vomiting stopped. She has been on that for a year, but last month I noticed her licking her lips and being very clingy. I took her to the vet, and she has lost 4 pounds since last year (now only 10.4). Her eating habits changed on Ultamino (eating less) which may explain the weight loss (or nutrients not being absorbed or GI lymphoma). Blood work showed her glucose running higher (385 mg/dL) and frucosamine at 476 umol/L (previously in the 300’s). Her thyroid was normal, and her calcium slightly elevated (11.2) which the vet thinks is idiopathic. She has slight amount of bacteria in the urine (giving her Clavamox).

Nine days ago, we changed her food to Hill’s Gastrointestinal Biome Digestive/Fiber Care wet (she doesn’t like the dry). She loves it and eats every drop. She stopped licking her lips and was acting more like herself up until today. Unfortunately, I found that she had thrown up all her breakfast so it must not be agreeing with her digestive issue. We have a follow up appointment on Oct. 1st to retest her sugar levels, but I want to take some action before then.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the food or alternative diagnosis (we have not done an ultrasound to test for GI lymphoma)? I do have Fortiflora probiotics which I added to her dry food at the beginning (not eating much of it though) so I added it to her food just now. Thanks so very much. Terri

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

First step is a GI ultrasound. That won't diagnose small cell (GI) lymphoma, but will tell you what the next best step is to determine whether it's IBD (not IBS, cats don't get that) or lymphoma. It could be either a biopsy or endoscopy to take a sample to test for those conditions. You might also get some value from getting a GI panel done, which tests for B12 and folate. Many kitties with GI issues need B12 supplementation. As for foods, if it is IBD, novel protein wet or raw, with a good probiotic, such as Visbiome or Proviable, are good options. There are lots of commercially availale options for novel proteins, such as lamb, rabbit, venison, or whatever protein meat she has not eaten before. Good to hear your smart kitty doesn't like dry food. The vet ones are horribly high in carbs.

3. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There is also a very good website, Raw Feeding for IBD Cats that has tons of information on supplements, managing vomiting or other GI issues, etc. Their Facebook page is very good about providing answers to questions. Many of u s who feed our cats a raw diet use FoodFurLife as a pre-mix that is added to the raw meat if you're making the raw diet at home.

5. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

Because I’m also in the same spot right now, if you end up needing a novel protein that has low enough carbs here’s some brands that I’ve found so far; hound and gatos, koha, rawz, ziwi peak, feline natural.

6. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Thank you very much for the great information!

7. Terri Caiazzo

Terri Caiazzo Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.