Food: Stella & Chewy's Freeze dried-carb content

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cab, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cab

cab Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know whether stella & chewy's freeze dried chicken formula is appropriate to give? I am in process of trying to switch my cat from her high carb. She was open to fancy feast, but now is turning away from it. I cant seem to find stella & chewy''s chicken recipes carb content and/or phosphorous content.
    Thanks so much,

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It looks like it's 20% carb but these are not the "as fed" values. I'd suggest contacting Stella & Chewy's and asking for the as fed carb values.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. cab

cab Member

Thank you for the reply! On chewy.com, this question was posed, and in the answer said it's 2% carb when as fed dry and 1% when re-hydrated. I'll call them but does that sound plausible?

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You need to ask them for:

- % carbs on a dry matter basis.

- % of kilocalories (metabolisable energy) from carbs.

Mogs

5. cab

cab Member

ok. Thanks. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

6. cab

cab Member

Hi, Just a quick follow-up. I think I understand the % of kcal (ME) from carbs, but how is that different from % of carbs on a dry matter basis?
    Thanks,

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

DMB % of carbohydrates is the % weight of carbohydrates when all moisture has been removed from the food. The dry weight is comprised of protein, fat, carbs, fibre and ash.

Metabolisable energy (kcal) % from carbs looks at the total ME contained in the food and gives the proportion of that energy derived from carbs cf. protein or fat. (Ash and fibre do not provide any energy.) This is the value that should be under 10% in order for the food to be considered OK for a feline diabetic.

Not sure whether you've seen this thread from the forum FAQs section, but it shows all the workings for calculation of DMB carb % and ME carb %:

Calculating % Calories from Carbs

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  8. cab

cab Member

Thank you for the thread!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.