Forrest OTJ trial day 16

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jessicaandforrest, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Jessicaandforrest

Jessicaandforrest Member

Hello all! Forrest is on OTJ day 16 and things have been going well except the last 3 times I tested his PMBG it has been 100-125. I found out today that he has been getting into my other cats dry food (obviously a big no no) so I had to hide the dry food bag. When his number was 125 I feed him per usual and checked his sugar again 2-3 hours later and it was lower (88) which means his pancreas is in fact working. Should I be worried about the last two numbers of 102-100? I’m really trying to not have a rebound because he’s doing so well and basically back to his normal self.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Jessica. It's not going to hurt to keep the OTJ trial going for longer. Or to continue testing until his BG levels do come back to normal.

3. Jessicaandforrest

Jessicaandforrest Member

How strict is the below 100 for 14 days rule? Are we allowed to have some higher numbers as long as they are lower 2-3 hours after a feed? Should I be starting the trial all over again?

4. Deb & Wink

You do kind of need to start the trial all over again. I'd recommend you simply continue the testing.

There are so few BG readings at those "pre-shot" test times, it's hard to tell if the BG levels were much higher, and have fallen at +3 due to the pancreas producing it's own insulin, or how much of a drop in BG levels you are getting.

What you have been doing so far, is more of a random test, than a true OTJ trial.
    What is normally done on an OTJ trial, is getting a "pre-shot" test,every 12 hour cycle , without food for at least 2 hours before that test, and then take your +3 to +4 tests if that initial test is in the blue range. If green, no need to test until the start of the next 12 hour cycle.

On an OTJ trial, you want at least that initial test for the cycle, and then if that initial test is blue, you test again at +3 to +4. It's the numbers in relationship to each other, that tells you how your cat is doing without insulin.

Besides testing, reporting on the 5 P's (purring, preening, playing, pooping, peeing) and the appetite are helpful to see on the SS in the Remarks column over there on the right hand side of the SS.

So how is Forrest doing with the 5 P's and the appetite?

5. Jessicaandforrest

Jessicaandforrest Member

Even if I restart the trial it’s still going to be more of randomized testing because I can’t test him everyday I can only test him 4 out of the 7 days a week but I guess it’s better to do it 4 out of the 7 days versus not at all. In regards to the 5 ps everything is great. He’s got a big appetite, pees and poops normally, preening and playing like he did before his diagnosis.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

4 out of 7 is fine! You do what you are able to do, with all the responsibilities and daily activities of a very busy life.

A note on those days where you can't test, over in the Remarks column would be good to see. That way, we won't be bugging you again and again to ask why you didn't test on a particular day. A simple note like "14 hour work days" or something similar will "smack" us in the face, and get us to stop asking you to test more.

I raised my arms in a cheer, when I read your response that Forrest's 5 P's and appetite are all good.
    We focus on the numbers here, because that data gives us some good clues as to what is going on.
    But how Forrest is feeling and acting are just as important.
    From your report, he is feeling GOOD!

Isn't it wonderful, to see our cats regaining their old personalities and behavior?:)

Pookie (GA) likes this.