Fortune AMPS 349 +3 353 +6 307 +8 272 - vet visit plan

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RachelG, Jan 12, 2021.

1. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yesterday

So we got through our second day of consistent testing! W00t! And I got a PMPS +2 reading last night.

This morning, Fortune was high again. Hoping to get that Lantus depot soon. We are at 10:15am today, tonight will be shooting at 10pm, and I cannot wait to not have to stay up so late to get more readings!

We let our vet know our plan for home BG testing instead of bringing Fortune overnight, and he was so supportive! He said he thought (mistakenly) that we weren't interested in testing, but testing at home is much better than at the hospital, and much better data than the urine dips he had us do. Um, and it's a lot easier! Separating the boys for hours waiting for Fortune to pee was awful.

I plan to talk to him about switching from prednisolone to budesonide as suggested by @Wendy&Neko

Tomorrow we have a vet visit at 9am, so we won't be able to do our regular schedule. Fortune will be getting an ultrasound to follow up from July and see what's going on with his SCL.

Should we shoot early tomorrow morning to make sure he gets his insulin? I'm not sure I trust the vet techs to do it with all the hullabaloo happening at the hospital.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

How many hours before your normal time would that be? How long will he be at the vet? Will they feed him if you bring food and it’s more than 2 hours? It also depends how low he is in the morning.

3. RachelG

RachelG Member

We will be dropping him off an hours before when we would be giving his shot (9am drop off, 10am shot), and he will be fasted. I'll give them a call to see if they will feed him if I bring a can, just worried he will be too stressed to eat. He will definitely be there more than two hours, earliest I can pick him up is 2pm.

He hasn't really dropped before 200 on his current dose, but will keep checking. Of course if he is low that would be convenient, right? lol

Thanks @tiffmaxee!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I would call the vet and ask what they suggest. Many here give a half dose in these situations. Some cats go lower at the vet. Max would be high. You could shoot a half hourly early without any problems for sure. See what happens tonight. You might even consider shooting early tonight.

RachelG likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Fortune is still bouncing from that run of blues a couple days ago. Bounces can take up to six cycles to resolve, which would possibly put him on target for going lower at the vet visit. Cats and their timing. :rolleyes: That just mean being cautions in case.

I never had to fast Neko before her ultrasounds. You might want to call and double check with the vet's office, and remind them he's diabetic.

RachelG likes this.
  6. RachelG

RachelG Member

I did call - first because they didn't remind me to fast him, and I wanted to clarify since the U/S reports I reviewed from July indicated that he should have been. :rolleyes:

And second, probably MOST importantly, I wasn't sure how to handle the insulin if I had to shoot early with no food. The vet who was in today (not our doctor) said to skip the insulin...I will definitely be checking his numbers in the morning and bringing some food. I will also remind the doctor. They plan on testing his BG 4x over the course of the visit tomorrow (I drop him off at 9:30, pick up around 2:30) so I expect them to administer insulin as needed.

My biggest concern is that he will stay high, since he has been high for so long :(

I'm very annoyed with the new front desk staff person regarding all of this back and forth and plan to tell the doctor. But I do trust the vet and the techs.

The good news is that he seems to be coming down and not bouncing today!! Hopefully the trend continues and we see some blues again. Poor bunny is walking more on his hocks and it's very scary to see him not doing well.

Thanks for all of the support!! :bighug::bighug: