Frankie and Liz update and advice needed

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Oct 23, 2019.

1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I have been MIA and really, really busy with work. I miss y’all so much! Decided it was time for an update. I do scan over the condos in the mornings but haven’t been posting much because I can’t respond.

I have finally finished my rollout of the computers for North America. There were lots of start, stops and stutters but extremely happy it is finally finished. Over 800 computer! I am not sure if that means work will quiet down but will definitely be less stress, at least till the end of the year.
    The weather has been wonderful the past couple of weeks. Cool mornings and warming in the afternoons with low humidity.

Frankie is doing good. He went for his neutering 10/09/19. Bloodwork was done the Saturday before which was the 2nd attempt. After the first (failed) attempt due to him becoming the demon cat (tech term – lol) they have me Gaba to give him to attempt to sedate him prior to bringing him back on Saturday morning. They were able to finally get the blood drawn but he had to be muzzled and restrained (Gizmo would be so proud). They asked that I give him another dose of the gaba prior to bringing him in the day of surgery also. After surgery they called and asked me to pick him up early because he awoke on a terror. He was climbing the cage, biting at it and yowling the entire time. They thought he might do better at home and be calmer – HAHA! NOT.

He loves to play fetch. He will play for 30-45 min straight. Throwing his mouse and he will bring it back drop it in our lap or at our feet and sit and wait for us to throw again. And again and again. All my cats have played fetch, but he is the master at bringing the toys all the way back and the length of time he will continue it.

The biting and chewing continues as does the attacking us. I am at my wits end with this issue. He has destroyed so many cords, toys, shoelaces, headphones – the latest being a pair of crocs I wear around the house.

I guess I need some advice on what to do. I feel so bad for the lil guy. He seems to want/need love but can’t handle it. He will lay and look at us like he wants to come and lay with us or sleep beside us on the couches but can’t handle the stimulation. He can’t seem to relax. He will attack, out of no where and has no concept of hurting us. He will jump at my face, mouth open and clamp down on any part that he reaches. My arms are a bloody mess all the time. He has ripped or snagged pants and shirts jumping at us and then hangs from our cloths (or skin). I have a 5” gash across my stomach where he jumped at me when I didn’t see it coming. He will run at us from behind and jump on our backs and hit us. Chomps and bites at our heels and calves. He chews on everything but seems to be primarily rubber. He will sleep with us, even cuddling and purring. He is always happy to see us when we get home and is usually loving and purry for about the first 20-30 min – then we are back to being bit and attacked. This has moved way beyond being cute and “love” bites. To me it does not seem like he is being vicious or mean – he is just being. I have had cats my entire life, I have never, ever had this behavior in any of them.

I have thought about trying canna but don’t have any. The gaba didn’t do anything to calm him down and had the opposite affect on him. The pain med (bupe) after surgery made him wild and hallucinate. I hate to give him anything – especially with him so young (just six months), but this behavior is not normal. Hubby has asked if I want to get rid of him because of his behavior – I won’t even consider it, but I do feel that something needs to be done!

I hope to get back into posting more in everyone’s condos – brief as it may be. :bighug::bighug:

Frankie's favorite toy

The destruction of the crocs...
    crocs.jpg

Hide n' seek
    hns.jpg

Won't walk on the rug when it's down on the floor, but wash it and put it on the futon...
    futon.jpg

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It does take some time for the hormones to abate but I don’t recall how long that is. A couple months maybe?

Several things.....first, I’d try some of the flower essences from Green Hope Farms. I really like them and the ones I’ve used for grief, new beginnings, and breathe for Tobey and Liv have helped.

second....yes....you guessed it...I’d talk to an AC and see if they can figure it out.

third....Jackson Galaxy??? Have you ever seen “My Cat from Hell”. He’s had great suggestions which have really helped cats.

fourth...really, and I mean really, cat proof your house. Put cord protectors on cords (I had to do that because Gracie, as gentle as she was, loved to chew on cords). Put away shoestrings, keep closets with shoes inside closed, deny him access to those things you don’t want him to get hold of. Cat proofing takes a lot of work but if you remove the things he shouldn’t have, it’s worth it.

Have you ever tried to burrito him in a towel to hold him? This often can calm them. Wrap him really snugly but not too tight. Br sure his paws are inside the burrito. Talk soothingly to him and tell him how good he is and how much you love him. How about those soft paws nail caps? Of course, getting them on him might be hazardous.

I know you play with him a lot but wear him out with wand toys where he has to jump and race to get what’s on the end. Distract distract distract.

Get a Scottish Fold to teach him good manners:p Just kidding. And I know this is a serious matter for him and you so I don’t mean to make light of it. I just wanted to make you smile for a moment.

I hope some of these work. But if you can find from the AC why he does these things, maybe you can figure out how to address it.

Paws crossed. Lots of love and hugs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I thought of "what would Jackson Galaxy do"?! It sounds like you have a little bobcat on your hands.
    Jackson would agree with lots of stimulation and games to wear the little guy down.
    Tina used to play fetch with a little rubber soccer ball!
    We have missed you, but congratulations on your huge accomplishment!
    I give Tina CBD, but I don't know about using it to calm.
    I really like the suggestions Marje gave.
    And I completely love your dedication Lizzie. Frankie is so beautiful. He loves you:cat:

4. LizzieInTexas

Which one do you suggest for these issues? I looked at them previously but wasn't sure which one (or ones) to get.

Can you PM the contact info? I am going to try everything.

Yes. Considered it.

We have tried - it is almost impossible to get it all. The crocs were left under the coffee table when I changed into my work shoes yesterday morning.

I think burritoing him would make it worse. He reacts badly to "confinement" I have held him very snuggley and it will calm him down for just a bit but once I let go he "retaliates" He doesn't use his claws - not during attacks. He is actually very gentle with his paws. We have put him in timeout in the 1/2 bath with the lights out (and toilet seet down). Usually 3-4 minutes and then let him out without fan-fare. Repeat if the bad behavior continues (this is done when he is being completely relentless with his attacks and nothing will distract him). Never had to do it more than 3x in a row.

The only toys he really likes to play with are his mice. He doesn't like the wands. He self entertains a lot too.

We have actually talked about getting him a buddy. We are very hesitant because we are afraid he will be vicious to it. Not sure if same age or older would be better. I just don't want to make the situation worse.

It makes me sad at times because I just feel that he is miserable. Then, like this morning, I wake up and he is snuggled up against me sleeping and wakes up all loving and purry - until I get out of the shower and the attack on the feet and legs begin :rolleyes:

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am glad Marje mentioned the flower essences, something like Rescue Remedy was my first thought. The shelter I worked at we had a cat called Sasha, or affectionately, the Slasher. :rolleyes: Sounds very similar. Wanting love, for about 10-15 minutes only. Made for an interesting office cat.

Have you tried a laser toy with him? Getting him exhausted may help settle him down a bit. It's cute that he does fetch. Maybe a Thundershirt?

Best of luck.:bighug:

6. Marje and Gracie

Yes, I will PM you Linda’s info.

Insofar as Green Hope Farms....maybe Outburst? You can also email hem and they will help you decide. I found them to be very responsive. They might recommend a combination.

I was actually only joking about another cat. I agree that he might terrorize a friend so I’d hold off on that.

I really like @Wendy&Neko suggestion of a Thundershirt.

7. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hey Lizzie ❤️ Sorry Frankie hasn't straightened up yet . You and DH are such good, loving kitty parents . Sounds like Marje and Wendy have given you awesome ideas to check out ...I hope something works . My daughter has a second kitty that has trouble with their other kitty. They have gone thru a lot with him . I'll check with her as to any ideas and I'm going to share Marje's with her as well. Sending hugs and prayers ....been thinking about your sweet aunt ❤️

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you can find something that will calm him down. I don't have any suggestions. Sending :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. LizzieInTexas

I have Rescue Remedy. Got it on the recommendation from Marje after the BW catastrophe. :joyful:

I haven't given any to him because I didn't receive it until after his neutering. I might try it until I can get the flower essence.

Thanks Beth. She is doing ok, but has slowed way down and does a lot of sleeping now and doesn't leave the house unless it is for doctor appointment. Please let me know if your daughter has any suggestions. :bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  10. LizzieInTexas

Thanks Carla. :bighug: It is just sad to me because he seems so anxious and tense all the time. Even trying to pet him and he turns around, rolls onto his back and grabs our hands and bites. Hard. So he gets very little love-uns :oops: and yet he will sit and stare at us. talk to us and even rub on our legs to get attention.

Beth 73 likes this.
  11. Beth 73

Breaks my heart, Lizzie ❤️:(

12. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Frankie is being so aggressive. Have you tried Feliway? Ravan hates to go in the car but since I started using Feliway sprayed on a towel ,he's so much better. It's supposed to calm them down. Whenever any of my cats did get aggressive I'd yell NO & ouch & then walk away & ignore them. It seemed to work.

"Anxiety and Aggression
    When cats are anxious, they tend to act out—sometimes with aggression. CBD can calm your cat's anxiety. ... If your cat tends to be anxious all the time, a daily dose of CBD may be the better approach. CBD activates the 5-HT1A serotonin receptors in the brain.Apr 8, 2019"
    https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-oil-for-cats/

My Vet start using CBD Oil for his dog's anxiety attacks. He was so impressed at how well it works he now has it in his Clinic. He uses "ElleVet". Not many products have been tested on cats ,but this CBD Oil has been. He called Cornell University & they said they checked many CBD oils & they only recommend 2 brands.
    Paws, by Charlotte's Web & ElleVet Feline. (The Paws by Charlotte's web has not been tested on cats ) I've used the Paws for over 5 yrs & I feel it helps with inflammation /pain & it gets them to eat when they're off their food. My cats aren't aggressive but it's supposed to be calming also.

I only give 2 drops a day. It's expensive but lasts a long time.

https://www.ellevetsciences.com/product/feline-oil/ https://www.charlottesweb.com/dog-cbd-oil

Best of luck with Frankie. Maybe he'll calm down now that's he's neutered?

[​IMG]

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Lizzie! Good to hear from you and glad work is going to be less stressful for a bit!

Wow on Frankie! The first thing that popped into my head was that he needed exercise. Dogs that chew and act aggressive are helped with daily walking. Could you harness him and take him for a walk?

Also, I was going to mention rescue remedy for him daily and some Feliaway spray. Spray a little where he sleeps and likes to lay. Put the rescue remedy in his water each day.

And I thought of Jackson Galaxy too.

Keep us posted!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  14. LizzieInTexas

I have not. I don't think he would wear a collar (and am not comfortable leaving one on him when we are not there (Mon-Fri for 10 hrs) and the diffusers probably wouldn't be effective because he has the run of the entire house all day.

I hesitated using the work aggression because, although the behavior is aggressive "like" it seems more like a brain short or loop. Like he can't help himself. Say like an autistic child that has a repetitive behavior that is explainable (like a coping mechanism).

I may still try the CBD. I am going to try the flower essence before I do so though. Again, he is so young, I am just unsure what to try at this age.

:bighug:

15. LizzieInTexas

:bighug:

He doesn't sleep or lay in one place for very long at all. He is all over the place.

Can I put it in his food? I add water to his food so he doesn't drink that much water out of his water bowls.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  16. JoyBee&Ravan

Not sure why you mentioned wearing a Collar? With Feliway, you just spray a little around the house.Where he lays during the day.

17. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Sounds like he is exhibiting what is known as redirected aggression. He has no other cat friend to wrestle with and release this “aggressive” behavior with therefore he redirects it to you and your husband. Sometimes getting another cat is the trick in helping with this behavior. However, I would not get an adult cat as there maybe fighting. A kitten that is the same age or slightly younger may work. Have you tried a kitty condo for him to perch from? Sometimes they feel safer when they are higher and able to view their surroundings. Was he hand raised by any chance??? Sometimes these kittens or those removed from their mother too early have no social skills as would be taught by their mother and this is where another cat would be helpful. I have heard that the CBD oil does calm some of the anxious and unpredictable pets so worth a try after the other things mentioned. Time and patience for now. Testosterone should be out of his system in approximately 30 days so that might be key in this behavior as well.

18. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Hi Frankie is soooo handsome:) JoJo does everything Frankie is doing He eats and chews on everything He has been thru 5 Cell Phone Chargers and One Computer Charger He started on the Cable TV cords and I put Hot Sauce on them and he has stayed away His Guardian Angel is always with him he is lucky he has not been electrocuted!! He is also a bitter and clawer:( I noticed he does it when he is looking to be hugged and held so that is what I have been doing for 6 years and will continue because he and Amethyst are my world:):bighug::bighug::bighug: Good Luck Frankie is Blessed to have you:bighug::bighug:

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Feliway is also available as diffusers as well as the spray or wipes. You plug one in to cover a certain amount of space, so there is always some going where he is.

I usually put a couple drops Rescue Remedy on food or treats before the v.e.t. trip. You can also put a couple drops on your fingers and rub his ears or forehead.

Another thought, know anyone who does clicker training for cats? Might be a way to help learn good behaviour.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  20. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Lizzie!
    A few months ago Boomer was startled by a noise on the tv and reacted by hiding under the bed for 3 solid days. It happened a second time the following week. We decided to try a Feliway diffuser and there's been no problem since. Maybe it would help Frankie?

21. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Oh Lizzie! It's good to hear from you...glad the work effort is done, but so sorry to hear about Frankie's behavior. I've never had a kitty that behaved like that - so I can't help you with any sage advice. It sound like you've already gotten plenty.

All I can go is send you support and hugs! I sure hope something works - and soon, to calm that little feller down. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Beth 73

Lizzie, also since he just got neutered I can't help but think that will help once the hormones stop raging. Not that it will be the total answer but it has to help ❤️:bighug:

23. LizzieInTexas

Feliway has collars.

This is more along the lines of my thinking and while he was not hand raised he was barely a month old when he was found (beside a road with traffic and a flooded ditch during a severe storm and flooding). He has not been socialized with any other cats since. But then neither was my Gizmo who was similar age when he showed up, but Gizmo was very humanly socialized when young.

He has a 7' massive condo! He absolutely loves it. He also has the stair case that he perches on and observes.

Have thought of that also. I hesitate because I don't want to make him more aggitated. But not off the table. Lol

I will get some difusers.

I put the drops in some tiki mousse. That is his special treat. He loves that stuff. So, I will give him 4 drops AM & PM and 4 drops at bed time.

Might be worth a try but he isn't as smart as Gizmo was :rolleyes:, he is, however just as stubborn :D.

I remember that. I didn't know you used the Feliway. I will defiantly get a few of the diffusers.

Thanks Sue. I have never had this issue before either. I am positive we will figure it out, with everyone here helping, how can we not! :bighug::smuggrin:.

Beth 73 and Wendy&Neko like this.
  24. LizzieInTexas

I am really hoping that too. I am worried that bad behavior may continue dispite the lack of harmones and want to try and nip it at the same time.

Beth 73 likes this.
  25. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hi Lizzie, I can't think of anything else to suggest.
    Well you made me giggle Marje.

I want to share my experience with our Fred, we got him very young probably no more than 4 weeks old, I had to bottle feed for a couple of weeks as he wasn't fully weaned, he had me and my DH's hands cut to shreds, and we weren't getting anywhere trying to teach him not to bite and scratch, he was just rambunctious.
    We had his sisters (my neighbours girls) stay over for a few days while my neighbour was on vacation, and noticed that he was better with them around.
    So when I saw Iris, I decided we would foster her and see how they got along, it was love at first sight and he hasn't drawn blood since. :)
    He was maybe 3 to 4 months old when Iris came to stay, we lucked out with her she is the most gentle sweet little cat I have ever come across.
    Fred can still be a twit, and attention seeks by knocking stuff of bookshelves or the counter. But his destructive behaviour only resurfaces when he's hungry and he want's his lunch early.

Sending calming vines for Frankie.

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, you can put it in his food.

27. JoyBee&Ravan

My son brought a cat home from california. She was a barn cat & already had a litter of kittens so he thought she'd get along with his girlfriends "new" kitten. (he had her neutered a few months ago) The first few days were not Good!
    His cat was hissing & chasing the kitten (the kitten is about 12 weeks old) We thought she'd hurt the smaller cat. This went on for 4 days On the 5 th day it changed! They started chasing each other & playing together.

I've always felt that most animals enjoy having a companion.A "younger" cat would give Frankie a friend to interact with. Maybe you could try it for a while with a foster kitty?

28. LizzieInTexas

I am not sure I could "return" a kitty if i brought on home. :oops: Another big problem.

Frankie behaved with the vet office kitty, though the vet office kitty didn't like Frankie much (he hissed at him). I have no idea how he would react to another cat. Though it is tempting. My local shelter has over 150 kittens right now :(.

29. Bobbie And Bubba

a foster kitty, good idea Joybee!

30. LizzieInTexas

See my reply to Gill ^^ above. :oops:

31. LizzieInTexas

:oops:

Stop it guys. Lol :D:joyful:

32. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

It is a big problem I'm not sure what I would have done if they hadn't got on. The shelter would have taken her back, but I'm not sure I could have given her back.
    Since then we have aquired another kitty, we rescued him from the street with a GSW, after convalesing with us for 3 months, in isolation in a spare room, he decided he was going nowhere, Iris loved him from the start, Fred tolerated him, and now the two boys are good buddies, they don't cuddle much together, but they play a lot and hang out together. We have a lot of room at home which I think helps, they can all find their own space, even if BFG has one of his 'all the beds are mine' days.

Beth 73 and LizzieInTexas like this.
  33. Bobbie And Bubba

Try some exercise and see if that helps to level him out. Or maybe you can “borrow “ a kitty. :)

LizzieInTexas and Beth 73 like this.
  34. Beth 73

He has you fighting his corner ❤️ You are one of the best kitty mommas ever ...watched it first hand with precious Gizmo❤️ You WILL figure this out and Frankie WILL get past this !!!!!!

35. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

I’ll second Jackson Galaxy. He’s got a lot of ideas I’ve never heard that have helped integrate my new cat and stop some aggression.

36. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

The hissing is not an unusual thing between cats. Cats are very judgmental of other cats at first, unlike most dogs who are ready to be best buddies! They have to establish who is the boss - first things first with cats! And they will test each other from time to time. I have 6 cats and I see what the pecking order is. So don’t be discouraged by this one interaction!! The environment makes a world of difference as well with regards to stressors for a cat. But be careful of shelter kitties as some have viral issues and you wouldn’t want to endanger Frankie! Be careful and leery of clear runny eyes and/or nose or those that seem to be sneezing a lot! Herpesvirus and calicivirus can run rampant in some facilities especially if they have no quarantine area for the new incoming kitties. Just an FYI for you to be aware of. :cat::cat::cat:

37. Marje and Gracie

While I definitely think a kitten...not too young...might help, it has to be the right kitten. It cannot be a shy or easily intimidated kitten. You would need to watch kittens together and get the one that is the most outgoing and can handle the others playing rough.
    You might also want to consider a female kitten.

When we got Liv for Tobey, we had the choice between her and another female. Tobey loves to play but he is absolutely not aggressive. Still, we knew we needed a kitten that could hold her own because he’s a big boy. Liv had one brother and the other kitten had three. Liv’s birth brother was twice her size and when we saw her take him down, we knew she was our girl :woot::smuggrin: She and Tobey were a perfect match from day one.

PS we also used the AC to help us.

38. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Hi Lizzie! Glad your work is calming down, but sorry Frankie is being difficult.
    I agree with @Charlotte’s mom. He was probably separated from mama too early, before she could teach him proper social skills. I found both Scooter and Toby at about 3 weeks old (2 years between finds). Toby does much the same as Frankie, just not quite that extreme. Scooter does not. I think some of it is just natural temperament too. Scooter has been super laid back from the time I picked him up and put him in the pick up. Toby crawled all over me and meowed all the way to the house. I have no suggestions better than what everyone else had said. The only thing I can add is, if he had bit too hard or jumped on his mama, she would have bit him back or slapped him with a paw. I think it’s a matter of finding a way to let him know his behavior is unacceptable. At 5 yrs old Toby, now knows the meaning of NO and will settle down if I tell him no. We used time outs and a water spray bottle. He still has to go to time out sometimes.

39. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hi Lizzie, good to hear from you. Glad your work load has eased. I don't have answers regarding Frankie.