? Free home testing kits

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Melinda S, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melinda S

Melinda S New Member

Concerned about 16 year old diabetic cat that keeps loosing weight. I've just got him successfully eating only wet food,, Friskies Pate. but he is always hungry. the vet said feed 2 time a day with insulin. can he have a snack of chicken or turkey in between feedings? or goatsmilk?? also trying to find link to free home testing kits. I haven't started home testing yet.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Many people split the daily food ration into two larger main meals AM and PM and a number of smaller snacks. Vets often give the instruction to feed twice a day but it doesn't suit all cats. Cats tend to be lactose intolerant so I would think that goat's milk, like cow's milk, isn't the best choice for them.

Many people here use human glucose meters to test blood sugar, often the ReliOn brand from Walmart. They have a few models but you want one with test strips that require only a tiny drop of blood. Many pharmacies will give you the meter free when you buy the test strips. You could do some checking about this where you live.

What insulin dose are you giving?

3. Melinda S

Melinda S New Member

Vetsulin insulin is what we are giving him, vet didn't offer another option.
    He started out at 16 lbs. And lost to 10.8 when diagnosed. Had a large fatty cyst, which is now gone, I guess his body reasorbed it as energy? But he is now down to 8.6 lbs . Not a huge cat, normal size, was overweight to begin with.

If they get snacks does it require another insulin shot afterwards?
    Have him finally eating Friskies pates and just a few bites of a grain free dru food as a reward.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No insulin is given only twice a day. The snacks are to satisfy their diabetic kitty hunger. There are freeze dried meat treats that are very low carb so are good to feed as a reward. Pet Smart carriers Pure Bites brand. I give my guy Orijen freeze dried treats, another brand.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Only give the shot twice a day. If he's loosing weight and hungry, please feed him more. He can mid day and over night. If you are not home testing yet you really should start as it sounds like he is not regulated at all yet. We can walk you through that if you need help with it. It's actually quite easy (after the first few times) and is the best way to get the most beneficial dose and keep your cat safe from deadly hypoglycemic events.

Grain free does not equal carb free. They put things like potatoes and Peas in place of the grain. Most are 20-30% carb.

All meat snacks are a better choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.