? Freya Blood Glucose 45 On Human Monitor

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KrustiKakes, Nov 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrustiKakes

KrustiKakes Member

I am not sure if this should be tagged 911 as she is low, but seems normal. I am planning on changing to 911 if her numbers keep dropping.

We have been trying to more tightly regulate Freya's blood glucose, and have been having success. Her overall health seems to be finally improving after a rough September/October. Tonight her PMPS was 127, and we reduced her dose to 1.25 knowing we would have to keep a close eye on her. Based on recent history we figured she might go a little low, but we were hoping she would stay in "safe" range.

At +2 she was at 45 so we fed her some high carb treats/dry food, and have tested her every 15 minutes. She kept staying at 45, and so I just let her lick some corn syrup off my finger tip. I am currently waiting for the next 15 minutes to pass to test her again. This will also mark her +3 point.

I guess I want to make sure there is nothing else I should currently be doing other than testing/feeding. I do not want to cause her blood glucose to sky rocket, but I also want to make sure she is safe.

My other question is what do we do after this episode as far as dosing is concerned? After a hypo event how long should a dose be reduced? If her numbers are high enough 1.75 seems to work well for her, but it often means her next dose needs to be lowered. Is it okay to constantly change her dose, or would she be better getting a constant dose (let's say 1.5) at both her morning and evening shot time?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. KrustiKakes

KrustiKakes Member

Update:
    57 for her +3
    104 +4

I am thinking I overdid the high carb food/treats. At least we are in safe numbers, though it makes me nervous on where she will be in the morning!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA)
    Her PMPS-127. Prozinc
    +2. 45
    +3. 57
    +4. 104
    +5. 115
    Her question is

My other question is what do we do after this episode as far as dosing is concerned? After a hypo event how long should a dose be reduced? If her numbers are high enough 1.75 seems to work well for her, but it often means her next dose needs to be lowered. Is it okay to constantly change her dose, or would she be better getting a constant dose (let's say 1.5) at both her morning and evening shot time?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not a Prozinc user but the way I see it is Prozinc is an in and out insulin so you need to respond to that BG 45 by reducing the dose down to 1 unit.
    She didn’t respond straight away to the higher carb food and you needed to give her some syrup. Freya is telling you that the 1.25 units is too much
    Depot insulins like Lantus need consistency with dosing but with Prozinc it is an in and out insulin and each dose is independent of the other doses.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you Bron, I see she said she let her kitty lick some corn syrup off her finger @+2 Thanks again Bron :cat:

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

This is what you need to feed if he ever drops to low, don't have want a hypo
    Such as

You should always have a few can of these on hand in case you need to bring up

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

You might want to also post this on the Prozinc forum also, just copy what you wrote :cat: so you can get an answer to this question you asked which was

Did you feed anything @+3, +4 , or @+5?

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

One other thing I see in your signature you also feed Tiki Cat Aloha Flavors (varied)

Tiki Cat is good for diabetics, though we don't recommend fish as a daily staple food. Dr Lisa Pierson said this in her food chart:

Fish: I do not favor feeding fish-based diets for several reasons: 1) allergy potential, 2) toxins/mercury levels, 3) PBDE levels (fire retardant chemicals with thyroid-disrupting properties), 4) often high in phosphorus and magnesium, 5) signifcant addiction issues - the cat will not eat anything else.

9. KrustiKakes

KrustiKakes Member

Thank you for pointing that out, I should update my signature. She used to eat the chicken/tuna flavor once a week, and now hasn't had any in months. We will still give her the plain chicken flavor, but mostly stick to Fancy Feast. I am lucky because she is the easiest cat to feed, and will eat ANYTHING. She didn't mind giving up the fish, or her high carb kibble.

I will post to the Prozinc forum, though last time I was sent here to get more eyes on my post. She is going through a bounce today I think. Ahh, the life of parenting a sugar cat. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.