Freya TR regime - different am/pm doses ok?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SwedishLiz, May 29, 2023.

1. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

Finally, we seem to have pushed Freya into a kind of steadily increasing ‘good’ BG zone during the day (albeit, only day 2 so far), but her BGs are still spiking overnight. Whether this is because of her daytime bounce, I have no idea but on TR (which I am coming to regret) can I reduce one dose while maintaining the other?
    It seems to me that I need to maintain Freya’s current PM dose, but if she keeps dropping fast & low during the day, am I ok to reduce her AM dose by .25 units? If this has a knock on effect of her PM BG levels, any advice can only be a good thing, surely? As always, any advice is gratefully received!

Deb and Sylvester likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

The short answer is no. It just doesn’t work like that. Lantus likes consistency.

Deb and Sylvester and SwedishLiz like this.
  3. Deb and Sylvester

Deb and Sylvester Well-Known Member

If TR is making it difficult, why don't you just do SLGS? It sounds like it would work better for your schedule.

Lantus needs to be given consistently at the same time and same doses for it to effectively work the way it should.

SwedishLiz likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

SwedishLiz likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Agreed, with higher dose cats, SLGS is not the answer. With the dosing methods we use here, consistent dosing works best. Her numbers do seem to be getting better these last couple days. :)

SwedishLiz and Deb and Sylvester like this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. SLGS is not the answer for Freya.

SwedishLiz likes this.
  7. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

Thanks for all the replies! Fwiw, the only reason we chose TR was because Freya had already been prescribed 2 units as her start dose & I hadn’t discovered this forum until days later, so figured that it was too late for a SLGS regime. If I’ve caused Freya issues that she didn’t need or if it’s too late to change regime just because of my ignorance, I’ll never forgive myself!
    If I’ve chosen the wrong regime (which seems entirely likely), can we recover from this? If so, how? If it’s too late to change regime, how do I mitigate/minimize the dosage fluctuations that Freya is suffering?
    As an aside, I feed the cats ham on a Wednesday (a treat after they’ve survived the hoover monster!) but whether Freya’s BG levels are spiked because of the ham or the stress of the vacuum, only time will tell…

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nothing looks like you have overshot a good dose for her by starting at 2 units. I think you've done great by Freya so far. :bighug:

Dose fluctuations are completely normal. If you want to follow TR (which I recommend), just follow what the dosing methods tell you to do. It is possible to change dosing methods at any time, I just wouldn't do frequent changes.

Ham is fine as a treat, unless it's honey ham or brined with sweetener of some type. Deli ham tends to have some sort of sugar in it.

SwedishLiz likes this.