Friday Five: Spring

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah and Buzz, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

1. Do you do a major spring cleaning each year? If so, when? At the first sign of nice weather? When you can open your windows for the first time? Easter?
    2. Do you garden? If so, what do you plant?
    3. Do you believe the groundhog?
    4. Are you excited about spring or is it just a gateway to summer for you?
    5. What is usually the first sign of spring in your neck of the woods?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

1. Do you do a major spring cleaning each year? If so, when? At the first sign of nice weather? When you can open your windows for the first time? Easter?

Nah, I clean year round so I never have to do a big cleaning. not in the house anyway. the yard gets a major workup come dry warm weather. and i do it as soon as i can put away long sleeved clothing

i trim the already existing stuff that was in my yard when i bought the house. if i buy & plant something, it dies anyway so why bother.

nope

spring & summer out here in cali seem to be the same thing :)

my bones don't ache from the cold

3. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

1-Spring cleaning?!--it never ends with all the fur in this house! lol Usually, its the end of march before we can open the doors & windows for the afternoon---cant wait!

2-I garden like crazy! Re-lanscaped our backyard with all sorts of perennials, too many to list all but my favorites are 'fire & ice' hydrangea, hybrid tea roses, giant pink hibiscus, and pink lavender. My DH just built me proper raised veggie beds last fall and I transplanted my 20 strawberries. This year I will grow beefsteak and roma tomatoes, sweet peppers, carrots, onions, garlic, and lots of new herbs. Charlie loves to help me garden and chases the chipmunks that nest in our yard! (he actually caught one last year--I interceded just in time for the little critter!)

3. I don't believe the groundhog, mostly bc he always seems to see his shadow---luv the movie, though!

4. Any season other than winter is great to me:)

5. My tulips and irisis are starting to poke out of the ground--so I know spring is finally near!

4. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

We usually do semi-major cleaning in the late Fall and Spring. Things like shampooing the carpet, etc.

Every year our garden is bigger. Tomatoes, onions, leeks, green beens, eggplant, peppers, tomatillos, and many more. This year we're trying bok choy. We also have lots of herbs and the catnip is starting to come up (Blackie loves to roll around on it). Last year I planted chamomile and this year we have a hundred of them coming up. I don't know what to do with it all.

No, but I too loved the movie.

I love spring and summer. Bring it on!

We have daffodils and hyacinths coming up, so I know spring is just around the corner.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Ewww, I hate cleaning. I just did last year's spring cleaning in December, lol. Windows are open every day that it isn't raining, although if it's cold they are just cracked. :)

No room. :(

Can't ever remember which is which, so no!

LOVE SPRING!!! Summer is too hot, though I love the long days & oodles of sunshine.

Fruit trees in bloom, yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

Spring cleaning for me is usually outside house stuff and a big yard cleanup. It starts on the first sunny day I can open the windows.

I plan and plant too much I think. Every year it seems like more work to keeps things under control. I have perennials and bulbs everywhere, but every spring I plant annual flowers and herbs, and of course the catnip which is truly trying to take over my yard. I have patches of it everywhere, whether I want them or not!

Nope.

Spring is my favorite; summer's too hot here. I love all two weeks of it!

Oddly, this year it was seeing snails on my patio. Usually it's seeing my daylilies poke up through the ground.

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

1. I usually end up doing some random stuff on the first nice day when I can open my windows: take the blinds down and clean them, or scrub the kitchen grout with a toothbrush (I have actually done that before, but my current kitchen doesn't have grout so...). I like to just air everything out and make it feel fresh. I'm actually bigger on autumn cleaning than spring cleaning.

2. I don't garden. It's embarrassing, because both of my parents are HUGE gardeners. I just don't care enough, I guess, although I love to see other peoples' gardens.

3. I think that the groundhog must have a long history of heavy illicit drug use.

4. I am excited about spring. I love summer, but it can get pretty hot and gnarly here. I love being able to wear jeans and a t-shirt outside, and that is definitely spring-wear.

5. I'm with Gator on this one: flooding. Living at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, plus having another couple decent-size rivers very nearby, spring=flood.

I loved everyone's answers, although I feel bad for all you CA folks who don't really have spring. Sad! :(

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

We have spring!!!! I am further north than the SoCal'ers, guess that is the secret. :) This year we have even had winter, though it's the first in Cali I've seen that I would actually call winter, and still a mild one at that (no snow). I do miss the crocuses though peeking up through the snow, spring that you can REALLY appreciate, but I still like spring here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.