? Friend’s cat newly diagnosed. Doing my best to guide her

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah & Sammie, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

My cat Sammie has been diagnosed since 2017 and I’ve had a lot of help over on the Lantus forum.

I have a friend whose cat, Artimus, was diagnosed as diabetic a few weeks ago. He was started on 3 units of prozinc. I’m trying to offer guidance but I’m not sure how much the Lantus protocol differs from Prozinc.

At Artimus’s vet visit on 5/28 his glucose was 400 and the vet increased the dose to 4.5. (This seems like a dangerously fast dose increase IMO.)

He had a follow up visit today and his in office BGL was 57 at AM +2. This is after my friend skipped his shot last night because he wasn’t eating (he finally ate around midnight.) The vet wants to keep him at 4.5 units.

The vet is basing the dosing on in office spot checks and hasn’t done a curve. He did not suggest a low carb diet.

Based on what I know in terms of diabetes and Lantus, I am concerned about the dosage, with that +2 57. I’m also uncomfortable with the fact that the vet is suggesting doses without any data.

Could anyone offer their thoughts on this situation? I want to make sure I’m giving her proper advice.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I believe when it comes to starting dosage they’re both similar. He should be starting at 1 unit not 3 and that increase is way too much way too fast. Will your friend be willing to come here herself? What about home testing? Tagging one of our prozync experts @Deb & Wink ;)

3. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

That is what I thought about the dose and the dose increase. I had her give him some extra food this evening following the shot of 4.5 units. Should I advise her to reduce to 1 unit beginning tomorrow morning?

She is picking up a meter tomorrow for home testing.

I just emailed her links to the forums, including this post. Hoping she will pop by herself.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You are a good friend.
    If your friends would join here we could help
    her.
    3 units is way to high a dose to start a cat on and then to increase to 4.5 is just plain dangerous.
    A test of 57 at +2 indicates the dose is too high, especially if no dose was given last night.
    I doubt the vet knows what he is doing to be frank and is putting the cats life in danger.

I’m not sure what diet your friend is giving but don’t change to a low carb diet while the cat is getting so much insulin.
    My advice would be
    Ask your friend to join here.
    Suggest home testing.
    Reduce the dose to 1 unit IF the Preshot is high enough.
    Find a new vet

5. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

I agree it made me really nervous. I told her if Sammie was 57 at +2 I would be feeding her and testing every hour until she came up.

I tried calling just now but there was no answer. I sent a text instructing her to skip tomorrow AM entirely and to go get a meter. I told her if his PM test is 200+ she can give him 1 unit.

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

What Ale said on the dose being too much too fast.

We help lots of people. Your friend is welcome to join this crazy crew of feline diabetes people, where we share what we know.

7. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

You all have been lifesavers for Sammie and myself!

It’s a lot to take in all at once. I’m happy that I’m able to help her but I’m hoping that she also utilizes the boards as a resource because I still have a lot to learn.

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

You’re a good friend!! Hope she’ll join us soon :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.