Frodo New member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paulina, Jul 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulina

Paulina Member

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Paulina and Frodo.:)
    I don’t use Prozinc but I will tag someone who can help you
    @Panic
    @JanetNJ

Paulina likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome Paulina.

I read through your thread on the Prozinc board. Janet provided some very helpful information..

I'd like to make a suggestion. We recommend that you provide more information in your signature (otherwise, we'll keep asking the same questions over and over again) and that you link your spreadsheet to your signature. so you don't have to keep posting it The instructions are in this post on Helping Us to Help You.

Paulina likes this.
  4. Paulina

Paulina Member

Thank You ☺️

5. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hi Sienne and Gabby! Thank You. I made some update in my signature. Pls check if its enough or should i add anything else? Im still very confused about all this so any help is very appreciate!! Thank You so much

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks good!

I think it would be a good idea to try a different feeding strategy for Frodo. It looks like he's dropping pretty fast early in the cycle which just makes him bounce high again.

You might try dividing his Pre-shot meal into 3...Feed 1/3 at Pre-shot, 1/3 at +1 and 1/3 at +2 or +3 and see if we can level him out some instead of taking those quick dives he's doing. Then if he wants a snack later he could have one at +5/+6.

Let's see if that helps!

Paulina likes this.
  7. Paulina

Paulina Member

Thank You Chris. Will try that !

8. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hi!! Everyone - its been a while ☺️ Hope u can spare a minute and have a look in Frodo’s spreadsheet. So i changed his meal routine a bit like it was recommended here - 1/3can at 7.30am, 1/3can at 8.30am and 1/3 can at 10.30am and then at around 1.30 or 2pm little bit more food and nothing until 1/3 can at 7.30pm and then again 8.30 and so on…so he was doing ok I think but not great so I just went up to 2.75 then back again to 2.5u and he was pretty good, in the meanwhile he got very bad readings and turn out it was a tooth so he had extraction (again!) it was about a month ago. So my question is what do u think I should do? as he is slightly higher again on shots time. Doesn’t really matter if feed him bit more carbsy food or not as before he was bit better on more carbsy food than very low carb food (2-3%) - I’m feeling confused and hopeless
    Very sorry for a long post. Hope it’s clear for u all. thank you ☺️

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are a couple of points that leap out at me. Those lime green numbers on your spreadsheet indicate that you needed to reduce Frodo's dose. If you are following the Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) approach with Prozinc, you reduce the dose when numbers drop below 90. This is the sticky note from the Prozinc forum on dosing methods.

It does look like Frodo is seeing good numbers. There may be one of two things that are happening. Frodo may not be getting sufficient duration from Prozinc. You're seeing great mid-cycle numbers but the pre-shot numbers are much higher. This may be duration or it may be a bounce. I'm leaning toward an issue of duration since it's a pretty constant pattern. However, I'm tagging @JanetNJ who has a great deal of experience with Prozinc so she can take a look.

Paulina likes this.
  10. Paulina

Paulina Member

Thank You. I have read the sticky but im still bad in changing the dose and then im sticking to the dose for too long - the days are just flying by and also it takes ages for me to update his numbers as my glucose meter only have one option of readings so I have to convert them from mg/dL to mmol/L which I prefer.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hopeless about what? You are getting nice low numbers. Maybe a touch too low. You may consider lowering to 2.25. It may help some of that bouncing too.

Paulina likes this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

I agree with Sienne. Any time Frodo drops below 90 (on SLGS) you should have reduced his dose by .25

I'd reduce him back to 2.25 and hold it for 7 days (unless he drops below 90 again) and see how he does

Paulina likes this.
  13. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hopeless that I will ever understand how to manage his diabetes proper way…. And also lately he was around 16-20 in the morning and then one day he’s 10.61 even though I did everything the same like the other day. Don’t understand why he has so messed up readings…am I overreacting ?

14. Chris & China (GA)

It's very important to remember that insulin is a hormone. It can act differently each time you give it. Remember when you were a teenager? You could be laughing one minute and screaming in rage the next? Hormones!!

There should be a way to change your meter so it reads in mmol/L. Might want to look at the instructions in the booklet that should have come with it (or owners manuals are almost always online too if you can't find the original instructions)

Lando demando and Paulina like this.
  15. Paulina

Paulina Member

I consider myself as a teenager then as my mood still can swing like that even these days ;)
    Unfortunately the meter I have - the booklet says only mg readings and from the few meters I have (from my pregnancies) this one requires the tiniest drop so it’s a win win atm but I’m gonna look for any update of this model or the price of the strips for the other meter I have as it really takes too long to convert every reading I take….

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  16. Paulina

Paulina Member

So ill start tomorrow morning 2.25u and then if he drops below 90 just once should I decrease again or should I wait anyways those 7days? Sorry for the dumb question [​IMG]:banghead:

17. JanetNJ

He probably just got a longer duration from his insulin that day. Pricing is dissed on how low they go, not how high the preshot is.

Paulina likes this.
  18. JanetNJ

Yes if it goes too low again you drop when needed. You are holding doses for a week before INCREASING. If they need a reduction you do that right away. I see he went too low again yesterday.

Paulina likes this.
  19. Paulina

Paulina Member

Ohh i see. I didnt know that u decrease straight away and wait a week to increase. Thank u Janet! Yes he was 2.4 last night and then again 20,83 in the morning and 13,27 around 10.35am and 12,77 just now which is +10 after morning shot

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Please keep your spreadsheet up to date :cat:

Paulina likes this.
  21. Paulina

Paulina Member

Will do ☺️

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you :cat::cat:

Paulina likes this.
  23. JanetNJ

I like that 5.7 you had. :)

Paulina likes this.
  24. Paulina

Paulina Member

HI!!! Frodo went to 3.8 (70) 5hrs after morning shot. So should i reduce his dose from 2.25 to 2u this evening?? Thanks

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

If you are following the Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) approach with Prozinc, you reduce the dose when numbers drop below 90. This is the sticky note from the Prozinc forum on dosing methods
    I will tag
    @JanetNJ who is familiar with prozinc
    Please add to your signature what dosing method you are using

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Paulina likes this.
  26. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Janet shouldn't she have reduced on 9-23 or 9-24 sinced Frodo dropped below 90 on those 2 days?

27. Paulina

Paulina Member

Its quite complicated as I started with 1u and he was checked by fructosamine test at the vets and I went like this until I started testing myself in may this year. So not sure what method he is but I think it’s slgs….

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Paulina on your US sheet the AMPS is not filled in only on your World,can you fill it in
    Have you read the methods
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

29. Paulina

Paulina Member

I should reduced but i didnt know that and i Just updated all the Numbers on saturday 25th so No one knew about the Numbers up to this day….

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

OK, just fill in the AMPS number for 9-28 today in the US cell

31. Paulina

Paulina Member

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

Okey Dokey, @JanetNJ should be on later on about whether to reduce , if she doesn't come on today, following SLGS I would reduce tonight and give 2 units
    unless someone says othetwise

Paulina likes this.
  33. Diane Tyler's Mom

When you get a chance add SLGS to your Signature thanks :cat:

34. Paulina

Paulina Member

Ok. Will be checking then, its 6pm now where i live and i do the shots around 7.30-7-45pm. Thank You so much

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  35. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see it's around 6:08 PM now you're in Ireland

Paulina likes this.
  36. Paulina

Paulina Member

Yes im in Ireland :joyful::)

37. Diane Tyler's Mom

Can you add that you're from Ireland also in your signature thanks

Paulina likes this.
  38. Paulina

Paulina Member

Done! ✅

39. Diane Tyler's Mom

Don't forget to add SLGS also :cat: I don't mean to be a pain in the butt:p

Paulina likes this.
  40. Paulina

Paulina Member

No worries. I appreciate all the help!!

41. Diane Tyler's Mom

I always thought that the world numbers automatically change in the US
    I guess they don't, you mean you have to go and fill them in manually?
    So today on US it would be 364
    I can ask @Chris & China (GA) or
    @Bandit's Mom about that

42. Paulina

Paulina Member

Im gonna replay to that later on as thats tricky and my battery gonna die and I’m not home yet. :nailbiting:

43. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem at all :cat:

44. Paulina

Paulina Member

He’s 370 now which is 20.55 and it’s time for a shot so I’ll do 2u as no objection from anyone else. Hope thats good ?

45. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Paulina I was hoping that
    @JanetNJ
    Would see the tag, she's a prozinc user, I saw she was on before I guess she didn't see it, so go ahead and shoot 2 units since he dropped below 90 following SLGS
    Just don't forget to fill in the spreadsheet for this morning in the US cell and tonight on both :bighug::cat:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Paulina likes this.
  46. Paulina

Paulina Member

Thanks Diane. So I updated the numbers - and my meter only use US mg/dL but when i fill them in the spreadsheet they won’t convert to world mmol/L it’s only the other way around I think and yet still the morning numbers weren’t visible today. So every reading I get I have to convert myself anyways so I think I’m gonna check the prices for the strips for the other meter I have as it uses world mmol/L because this converting thing takes too much time….:bookworm:

47. Chris & China (GA)

You're right! It's only set up to automatically convert from World to US, not the other way around.

Another option would be for you to just do the US numbers your meter is giving you. The vast majority of us are in the US and people who live in other countries that use mmol/L (and are comfortable giving dosing advice) are used to seeing US numbers too so there's no real need for you to have the World numbers unless it's for your own understanding.

Diane Tyler's Mom and Paulina like this.
  48. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hi Chris! Yes I just feel more comfortable with world numbers as that’s what I had in my pregnancy too so I just got used to it and just easier for me this way….but anyways actually I have other question - how do u fill the date?? It doesn’t fill in automatically does it? It changes year when i drag the cells down. Hope u understand me. I kinda play a bit with the dots and space button to see if it’s any different and it worked although it doesn’t show the day with “0” on the front only plain number but I’m ok with that.

49. JanetNJ

Yes just follow the protocol and reduce.

Paulina likes this.
  50. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hi again! 76 again +5 after evening shot. 1.75 then in the morning ?? :D:cat:

51. JanetNJ

You can. If it stays too high after a couple days then go back to 2.

Paulina likes this.
  52. Paulina

Paulina Member

Hi !! I updated Frodo’s numbers so obviously we r going back to 2u isn’t it? Also I think he’s teeth bothering him again :( so probably that explains his high numbers too (one day particular)…. I booked the vet visit for next week in a meantime I will see if 2u will change anything or not. Pls let me know what ur ideas are. Thank u. :cat:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.