From 347 to 259 at +2, more frequent checks tonight?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Whitney and Jonas, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

I'm sorry for so many posts... we are going from one extreme to another :arghh: On the one hand, I am SUPER happy to say that Jonas was at 259 at his +2 check! I love seeing this number but normally he is around the same number (if not slightly higher) when I do his +2. I am taking off work tomorrow because I have been under the weather this weekend, so at least I have some wiggle room though I am very tired from my own issues plus worrying over Joe.

I did his +2 at 10 p.m. and I will stay up until at least midnight. I can set alarms for more frequent checks during the night. Does anyone have any guidance as to where this might be going? I'm hoping he won't have a hypo but I'm definitely worried (as I always am... lol).

I'm not a coffee drinker but I might grab another Coke Zero and get some gaming in to try and stay awake longer :nailbiting:

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see the insulin doing what it is supposed to do. Get your +3 and see. You can feed a snack to slow the drop. Holler if you need to. I likely will not be online. I'm not well.

Does Coke Zero have caffeine? I thought it didn't. Whatever gets you through the night ... Ice cream is popular with forum members.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with @Red & Rover (GA). Get another test and see if it’s still dropping. If it is I would test again.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

He's at 162 at +4... great but I'm nervous as heck now. We really restricted his dry food today when he was so high so I guess that is why. Should I test again in 30 minutes or can it wait an hour? He's never been in the blues at night before (at least since I've been testing). I know it's a good thing, even a great thing, but this is new territory for me.

5. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

121 at +5, giving him some Gravy Lovers now.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He doesn’t need gravy lovers. Just give him a snack of low carb food and test again in 1 hour. He’s doing really well.

7. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

i might not understand but they are good numbers for +4 and 5...

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

What did you fed him?

9. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

They are awesome numbers but it scared me to see them happen so fast... I am not used to this at all. The drop was scaring me. I hope I didn't mess things up by feeding him but I was afraid of him continuing to drop. He ate some chicken feast gravy lovers from FF, it's what we keep stocked up on in case he gets low.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I know it’s scary the first time but those were very safe numbers. Feeding high carb food will shorten the duration of the insulin. But don’t worry. I did much the same the first time. :eek:
    Chalk it down to experience. Next time if the number is over 50 feed a teaspoon of low carb. if you are anxious just test 30 mins later instead of 1 hour.

11. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Thank you <3 I feel like a goof but that definitely startled me... anxious is my middle name :eek:

He is at 117 now at +6, so just a small drop. I love seeing him in those numbers, I was just really taken aback by how quickly it happened.

12. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Also this is a dumb question... if there is a time when I test every 30 minutes, what is the best way to enter that into a cell on the spreadsheet? Shift+enter seems to make it go up to the next cell. Do I just write it in the same line and it will even itself out?

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes just write 117@+6. 102@+6.5. (Or whatever the number is) and put in the same cell. You will have to colour the cell yourself if you add more than the number. If one number is higher than the other always colour the square with the lower number colour as we need to see the lower number colours. Does that make sense?.

No dumb questions here. I would start to test in 30 minutes when the numbers are getting lower (like under 100) and/or they are dropping quite fast. Look at the last hour and see how much it dropped. If it dropped 50 points, look at the current number and mentally take off 50. If that number is getting a bit low, test in30 mins. Remember you can feed during the drop to slow the numbers if needed.

14. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Gosh he is at 103 at +7... I can't believe the gravy lovers didn't do anything? :nailbiting: That was 2 hours ago now.

@Bron and Sheba (GA) Thank you so much for hanging with me, and yes that makes sense I think - so if he were 103 at +7 and 96 at +7.5, I would color him the dark green color that indicates that range rather than blue, right? I am going to test him again in 30 minutes to see where we are at, I really don't want him dropping anymore... and I really need to sleep!!

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes that is how you colour the square. He’s doing beautifully and slowing down with the numbers now.

16. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Great, thank you so much. He is at 117 at +8 so maybe his nadir has been reached? I’m hoping it’s okay for me to go to bed at least for a little bit. I just don’t want him to drop any more but he has to be at the climbing end of his curve now?

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes it looks like he’s reached nadir.
    Don’t be disappointed if he bounces after this as he’s not used to those lovely blue numbers. It’s a normal thing to happen for newly diagnosed cats. Well done both of you!

18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Alt+Enter puts a hard return in a cell, but the column width should automatically take care of it

I'm useless for the rest of this thread lol

19. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Whitney))))) youre doing great!
    And Bron youre amazing. :bighug:

20. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Thank you so much @Bron and Sheba (GA) for hanging with us last night, you are an angel <3 His AMPS was actually down a tiny bit more from that +9, would that be anything to be concerned about? He went from 150 to 134.

@FrostD thank you!! I have never been the handiest with spreadsheets, lol.

@jt and trouble (GA) You are an angel, thank you so much for always supporting us and helping my poor, frazzled nerves <3

21. jt and trouble (GA)

:);)

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m not sure why he dropped lower at AMPS after 150 at +10. I’m not a Prozinc user so don’t know all the little ins and outs. Maybe he just needed some food. You are doing a really good job!
    Keep asking questions!

23. jt and trouble (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.