Fructosamine much higher than blood glucose readings at home

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa & Mary, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Haven't posted here for a while and my spreadsheet is way out of date. I ended up adopting Mary and her non-diabetic sister Rhoda from DCIN just before Christmas and they are happy in their forever home. Mary had all her teeth extracted in December and before that and yesterday she had a blood panel that both included a fructosamine as well as the actual labs I was interested in. Her blood sugars are still running high and based on my pre shot testing every day and fairly frequent testing between shots I would have expected her fructosamine readings to be approx 350. The one from December was 450 and the one from yesterday was 540! I know my meter is fairly accurate as when I went to the vet yesterday it was pretty close to their reading with their Alphatrack and the lab results - my meter reading was between the 2 other readings and about 20-30 different from each.

I'm in the middle of an extended curve through the weekend to make sure nothing crazy is going on in the night of in off hours but it didn't last night.

Has anyone ever seen fructosamine readings so different from home testing results or know why this might happen? The vet and I are confused by this and not sure what to make of it. I wouldn't have got a fructosamine but it was included in the "diabetic bundle" that was cheaper and gave all the other stuff we wanted to check.

2. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

Re: Fructosamine much higher than blood glucose readings at

Doh, I have just been investigating fructosamine and realised that the levels the vet tech gave me must have been the fructosamine level and not the conversion to the glucose level. So 540 fructosamine is approx 350 blood glucose which makes sense. I'll check on Monday to make sure

3. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.