Frustrated and puzzled at results of Clarence's dose increase

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Dee Dee C, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

So, I'm a bit puzzled and more than a bit frustrated at the results of increasing Clarence's dose to 1.25 units. His AMPS was 327. I tested him at +3 and he was down to 261. He wanted his usual second breakfast around +4, so I tested first. His +4 was 232. He got down to 210 at his +5. By +7.5 he was at 204.

The last test I did was a +9 and he was either a 223 or a 240 -- I opened a new bottle of strips and was curious about whether there would be differences and one tested at 223 and the other at 240 -- same drop of blood.

To summarize:

AMPS 327

+3 261
    +4 232
    +5 210
    +7.5 204

These numbers are not that much different than what he had been at yesterday or the day before (except last night, where he was higher). No blues, which was disappointing to me because I was hoping he would have a few blues. But maybe no blues = no bounce? That would be a consolation prize!

Any thoughts whether I should stay with the 1.25 tonight and go ahead and monitor him or drop back to the 1u tonight, depending on what his PMPS is?

Note: All readings are on the ReliOn Prime meter.

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    @CandyH and Catcat

2. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Update: I opted to stay the course and go ahead with the 1.25

His PMPS was 296. I will monitor thru the night as much as I have to and post an update probably shortly after I test him in the morning. I still want to hear your thoughts, tho.

Thanks!

3. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

I'll look tomorrow, tonight I am exhausted and a bit concerned about the unusually high PMPS for Catcat

4. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

No worries, get your rest. Maybe Catcat was having a stressful few moments and sensing your exhaustion. Since I am just learning and have no idea, I'll just think pure positive thoughts for you both.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  5. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

sending some of the same back, I do have a bit of reserve

Dee Dee C likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry Dee Dee. I was out till late last night so didn't check in. I'm glad to see you went with the 1.25u. Bounces can take up to 6 cycles to clear and sometimes when you change doses you get wonky numbers for a cycle or two. While Clarence is occasionally hitting the blues, you want to see more of them and some green as well so stick with 1.25u. Doses often move up and down a bit before you find the "sweet spot".

As for the difference in the BG readings from one strip to another, that is normal. Glucometers are allowed up to 15% to 20% variance (depends on age of meter) so the 223 and 240 are essentially the same.

7. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Hi Linda, thanks for checking in on Clarence this morning.

There was at least a little blue with this dose increase last night, so he gets a star for that! And a bonus for me was that I got to sleep in my bed for a change. Clarence is much happier being outside instead of cooped up inside, so I went ahead and let him stay out. I know it is important for him to be happier in his environment and I try to accommodate that as much as possible, hoping to foster some lower BG numbers. His AMPS was 323, basically same as yesterday's, so only time will tell whether the increase from 1 to 1.25 gets him down closer to where he needs to be. I think once our hyper doggie visitor goes home (late Wednesday), we will be able to get back to our routine. But, it is supposed to start heating up again today, so I imagine Clarence's activity level will slow.

You have a great day. I'll try to get updates posted on his progress...

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I think your doggie visitor may also be playing into those numbers. Hopefully with some time outdoors and once Clarence has "his" inside space back, he'll come down more. :)

Dee Dee C likes this.