Frustrated and Stressed

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Caterina, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Caterina

Caterina New Member

1. Attaching files issues? See this message
      Dismiss Notice
    2. Learn more about supporting the FDMB - click here
      Dismiss Notice
    3. Attaching files issues? See this message
      Dismiss Notice
    4. Learn more about supporting the FDMB - click here
      Dismiss Notice
    Fundraising PageAttachments on Posts
    Start a New Conversation: Frustrated and Stressed
    Preview
    My male 13 1/2 year old cat Bronx has had diabetes since 1/21.He was regulated with 2-3 units of Vetsulin 2x a day.August all hell broke loose. His glucose shot up to 596. He spent two nights in an emergency hospital,as our Vet office had a COVID exposure. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and high liver levels, fever and not eating.He has been home six weeks now . The last bloodwork was normal for all functions liver and pancreas normal.His glucose is extremely high at 711 yesterday.He has been on 8 units Vetsulin 2 x a day. Our Vet is going to change his insulin type . I am waiting to hear today for instructions.Bronx is currently on 2.5 ml of Prednisone every three days tapering him off.Cerenia and Mirataz every other day.He started out at 16 pounds, went to 18 in treatment and now weighs 14.8 pounds. I was told to not worry so much about what he eats to keep the weight on him. He refused to eat the canned prescription food. He will eat fancy feast classic pate and Hills prescription dry food.My husband and I have had a hard time testing his glucose. Bronx has had regular every 5 day Vet visits to have him checked. I am extremely stressed as his last health emergency cost us $5,500 . We cannot afford another crisis.We are 77/ 74 and on a fixed income. I love my cat dearly . I am hoping the new insulin stabilizes him.

2. Caterina

Caterina New Member

My Vet called , Bronx starts Prozinc tomorrow, I think two units. I am relieved, hopefully this new insulin helps

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

ProZinc is a better insulin. I can't really comment on the dose withought seeing numbers. Generally once a cat gets to a 6 unit dose we recommend that you test for acromegaly. (My cat unfortunately had it).

Testing at home would be super helpful. Is he squirming and that's why it's difficult? Or are you just having trouble getting a sample?

4. Caterina

Caterina New Member

Yes, he does squirm . We need to watch some videos on drawing a blood sample. Part of the problem is insecurity on our part. He has been through so much . I know it is necessary. I will research acromegaly. Our Vet has not mentioned it. Thank you for answering my post. I will keep you posted.

5. JanetNJ

I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat at home. I totally get it's intimidating at first. Fortunately my cat is really chill. One thing you can do when testing a squirmy cat is to scrape the drop onto the back of your nail and test from there so you can let him go quicker. Giving a snack after can help too so they associate the test with a treat.

Acromegaly is a tumor on the pituitary glad.

6. Caterina

Caterina New Member

Hi, Bronx was tested yesterday. His glucose was 740 .The Vet. put him on 4 units of ProZinc .We were trying to wean him off of Prednisone 2.5 ml.It was day five without a dose. He wouldn’t eat his morning meal.After some kibble I gave him the prednisone. His appetite increased back to normal. He was on the prednisone when he had pancreatitis.That was back in September.We were able to test his glucose at home. It continues to be high.He goes back to the Vet next week. Today the 3 rd is his first full day on 4 units.

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

4 units is probably too low, but without home testing I can't in good conscience advise starting any higher.

As for the Cerenia and Mirataz you mentioned in your first post - they really are better off given multiple times a day, the every other day probably wasn't doing anything. And many of us find ondansetron to be better for nausea (Cerenia usually better for vomiting).

The prednisone was for pain from the pancreatitis?

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Both meds are once a day only.

9. Caterina

Caterina New Member

We started testing yesterday.The meter( Advocate), only goes to 600.So it read high.He just went to 4 units from 2.5. He see’s his Vet this coming Tuesday (9). His last reading was 740 at the Vet’s.I will talk to the Vet about giving him Cerenia and Mirataz daily instead of Prednisone.We were trying to wean him off of the Prednisone. But it helped him to have an appetite. The prednisone was given to him at the Emergency Hospital when he was being treated for high liver functions, pancreatitis and diabetes.I thought, I could be wrong , that prednisone helps with the pancreatitis inflammation.His last full panel bloodwork was three weeks ago. It was normal on all levels. Our Vet said his concern is making sure Bronx does not lose weight.He is down 4 lbs from the end of July.Thank you for your suggestions. This journey with Bronx has been overwhelming at times.

10. Caterina

Caterina New Member

Bronx weight is 14 lbs now. Sounds high , but he is a big boy.He is not obese.At 18 lbs he was heading that way

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Can you clarify?

At least with what I was given, I was told 2x a day for Cerenia (up to 8mg) and 2x a day with the Mirataz. Cerenia about an hour before meals, Mirataz right before. Is that incorrect? If so boy I am never going back to that emergency vet...

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

If it seems he is in pain, buprenorphine or gabapentin may be a good choice (I prefer buprenorphine)...sometimes they won't eat if in pain, despite the Cerenia and Mirataz. Cerenia has anti inflammatory functions as well but I'm not sure if it's enough for something serious

13. Caterina

Caterina New Member

I was told to give him Mirataz and Cerenia every other day as needed. Which is a worry, I am not sure what to look for . As while he is on the prednisone he eats. I will ask the Vet on Tuesday if I need to continue. I would think so if he is going to get weaned from the prednisone. When Bronx was in the hospital he was given gabapentin. He was pretty goofy from it. I feel his major issue at this point is his high glucose. So far nothing is getting it down. The prednisone probably isn’t helping.

14. JanetNJ

Maraz is once a day. My hyperthyroidism cat stopped eating last week so I got that perscription just recently.

I just looked at the box of cerenia from a few years ago and it says half tablet (8mg) once a day.

15. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah geez. Good to know. Emergency vet said half tab (4mg) twice a day, and Mirataz 2x a day. And that's how I've treated his pancreatitis and such since (as noted in SS). Lesson learned, double check even the most seemingly simple things.

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

FrostD likes this.
  17. JanetNJ

If you are only giving 4mg then twice a day is probably ok. I was giving half of a 16 mg pill so 8 mg 1 time.

I think miraz is only given one a day though

FrostD likes this.
  18. Caterina

Caterina New Member

I give half a Cerenia 8 mg every other day and Mirataz ,rotating them.It makes sense to me to try them both everyday once he comes off the prednisone. I will keep you posted