Gandalf 1/24 ~ too many schedule changes!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

His numbers have been horrible. One bright spot this AM, he was 133, which I predicted to myself last night. Not following my own advice, I shot lower, 1U instead of 1.2U which I went up to because he's been throwing 300s.

To recap, I've had to ratchet his shot times earlier by 5 hours within 4 days. A cycle or 2 is fine to have to do that, but having to move shot times earlier every time for 8 shots makes everything unreliable, so I'm trying not to be upset about the numbers. I thought for sure he'd get some decent numbers out of it because of the extra shed but changing the shot times every time was just too much.

Of course, he did get a decent number - this AM when I had to shoot the earliest at 5AM. HIs mid cycle wasn't too bad, not sure why it went south so fast.

Read about lipohypertrophy where the fat accumulates under the skin where you inject insulin. I try to move his shots around in areas on his sides, but will try to go further back. 5 years is a long time to be getting insulin in such a small area. Wondering if we're seeing inaction because of the injection site sometimes.

BTW, his 5 year anniversary with FD is January 31st.

2. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

That's rough having to change the shot times so much. I can't imagine how Tigger would react to that. He doesn't mind a half hour or even 45 minutes occasionally, but what you are having to do makes it real difficult. Are you going to be able to get back on schedule now?

"Read about lipohypertrophy where the fat accumulates under the skin where you inject insulin. I try to move his shots around in areas on his sides, but will try to go further back. 5 years is a long time to be getting insulin in such a small area. Wondering if we're seeing inaction because of the injection site sometimes."

Absorption is a big deal as we discussed on the old board a couple of times in different threads. Are you using short needles? Tigger had some sort of skin thickening thing when we were using PZI but it went away when we switched to Levemir. We always shoot in the scruff rotating from side to side.

And congratulations next week on the five year anniversary!

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Thanks! Now I know why people make a big deal over longtime anniversaries on the board.

I am using short needles. I can't shoot in the scruff because he gets fluids there. I've always done the sides behind his front legs, I try to rotate it and there's only an area on his right side (which I'll admit I shoot more on) where the skin feels poofier underneath. I try to avoid that area.

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

+14 second split PS 398 .6U

Well, he didn't go over 400 at least! I started his monthly Clindamycin therapy tonight, 1.5cc SID for 5 days. He needs a dental - it's been a year. There goes my tax refund money. I also gave a little more than 50ml fluids tonight.

I did splits tonight to get him to 7AM/7PM shot schedule or thereabouts. When is Standard Time coming back again? Is it first week of march now? Please say yes. You have no idea how happy I was to drive home at 5:15 last night and still get some daylight.

Would that be extraneous commentary???? Would it not be extraneous if I said I can draw my doses much better in daylight???

5. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Re: +14 second split PS 398 .6U

Does he absolutely need a dental? Even though it has been a year, does it really have to be done again so soon? I know that cleaning is encouraged and should be, but how really important is it with these older cats to have it on such a set schedule as every year? Going under GA is not a thing to be taken lightly (I know you aren't saying that) so I just wonder. So I am just asking, is it really necessary? Maybe in Gandalf's case it is, I don't know.

Oh crap, my calendar is downstairs and I am being lazy. I think the third week in March? We got rain today and it melted much of the snow! It is so nice to see green grass again. :) Ahh spring, hurry up!

LOL

6. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Re: +14 second split PS 398 .6U

Truthfully he could use a dental every 6 months. His teeth accumulate tartar very quickly, not that there are FORLs but for some reason he gets food in his teeth - I change his water bowl every day because of the food particles he leaves behind after he drinks. His breath smells now and the Clindamycin is to keep down the bacteria under his gums. Remember he's not eating raw food - it's being syringe fed to him, so it's liquified, there's nothing for him to chew, so that's not helping. And boy does raw food stink! I made the mistake with the last batch of leaving it in warm water too long, so I had to throw out a half cup this morning.

I agree about the dentals being a risk for older kitties. With the Clindamycin, he could probably go a while longer, but in March we have to do another ultrasound and I'd rather not have to pay for both things that month. One thing I like about scheduling a dental is they do a full blood panel and it's factored in to the price, so it's almost a 2 for 1 deal. I bet it's gone up though, like everything else.

Edited extraneous stuff.....

7. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

That whole thing about the time change was extraneous.... :roll: (pssst... it's Mar 14th).

I wonder about the injection site issues now that you bring them up. I was never able to bring myself to just inject directly into Beau's side the way others do, using short needles, or course.

Maybe he was upset by having his routine discombobulated? These guys like routines and here you changed things each time and then you were gone at work at the "wrong" time too.

8. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

I will be reading up on lipohypertrophy, thank you Vicky for bringing that to my attention.

Given the inconsistent dose times, yeah, you should be proud of your boy! (and i totally understand the need for them).

In the future, please try to edit the extraneous stuff - see, i didn't sound too much like an unwitting cheerleader there did i? :RAHCAT : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.