General bg worry and High level glucose in urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kirsten ACG, Sep 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

I posted over the weekend about my cat who was hypo and received much appreciated help here. I did, read, and understand everything that others wrote to me except that I had adjusted her insulin dose (Lantus) from 3 to 2.5 after the hypo when it sounds like I should have done 2.75. Today my cat had her highest reading yet, 421, at +9. I tested her urine with keto diastix and found no keytones but the highest amount of glucose at 2 or more. I’m worried about the high BG numbers I’m getting after hypo and don’t know what’s happening here. Do I stay the course and do I need to look out for anything to make sure she doesn’t have a big issue? Today she ate well and is acting normal but I’m finding litter all over the places she rests so knew she must have really sugary urine sticking to her paws.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Z9pUb5YFcvIfPcspfXAwLDVNFf11JNosYtSNVMO8xE/edit

2. Denver & Magic (GA)

Denver & Magic (GA) Member

Every time my cat gets low his numbers will ‘bounce’ through the roof for a few days. From what I’ve been told it’s 100% normal and will correct itself and I shouldn’t try to correct it for him or it makes it worse.

Kirsten ACG likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Since the dry food is still in the picture, it restricts your dosing method to SLGS, which means holding the dose for at least 7 days.

That being said, you did reduce more than you should have so there's a good argument to be made to go up to 2.75 tomorrow and start counting your 7 days from there.

5. Kirsten ACG

Kirsten ACG Member

Thank you. Why does dry food lead to the SLGS method? I’m sorry if I have missed that in all I’ve tried to review here. Her numbers were a lot better yesterday so I am planning to hold the 2.5 dose and do a curve on Sunday. Does this sound like an okay plan? My vet told me Wednesday to put her back up to 3 units and I felt I should stay at 2.5. Seems like I made the right decision not to go to 3.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Tight Regulation is the only other choice and it requires a canned or raw food only diet because it's already an aggressive dosing method and there are too many variables if there's any dry food in the picture. Dry takes longer to get into the system and longer to get out, but ECID. The TR Protocol was developed using only canned or raw and since it is more aggressive, we stick to the "rules"

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.