? General insight for Buddy

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by DArcey and Buddy, Mar 11, 2020.

1. DArcey and Buddy

DArcey and Buddy Member

Hey everyone!

This is my first time posting here. I was hoping that someone could give some advice on Buddy’s numbers. Her AMPS and PMPS is always high (low 300s) and then she drops down to around the 250 range for the most part. Is this normal to constantly be going up and down like that? Should we increase the dose from .75U to 1U this weekend? I guess my thoughts were that after being on insulin for a while her highs would start to come down slowly.

She usually gets about half a can of fancy feast with each shot, and then maybe a quarter can for lunch and a quarter for a late snack. She seems satisfied with that amount, and she has been putting on some weight, just a little though.

Sorry for this being all over the place haha

Juls and Billy and Deb & Wink like this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sure would love you to take 60 seconds and put some helpful information in your User Id profile, including the "Signature" portion.

Go to the top right corner of the screen, click on your user name, a drop down list will appear, select "Signature" from that list. Start typing in the text box that appears and be sure to click on the "Save Changes" button at the end of the text box.

Information like your first name, your cat's name age and sex, DX: (diagnosis date), insulin used, meter used, food fed, and then the SS (spreadsheet) link are so, so helpful to those of us responding to members. That signature information will be "magically" attached at the end of all your posts. Signature and other user profile information can be updated as needed.

While you are there, editing your user profile, if you could update your profile to include your location, that is helpful also.

While you are doing that, I'll go take a look at your girl cat Buddy's SS.

Are you here from our facebook sister site? Where Chris R. is one of the admins.

p.s. The GA prefix in front of your thread title means your cat is dead. Since that is not the case, at least I don't think so, since you are asking for someone to look at the SS, you may want to remove that and put the ? icon as your prefix instead. Tools to edit your thread title are in the upper right hand corner of the screen, after your thread title.

3. Deb & Wink

Yes, it's perfectly normal to be going up and down like she is.

Buddy needs an increase. Nadirs are only down in the Yellow colored range. I'd bump her up to 1U.

Definitely. Starting with the PM cycle for today, 3/11/2020. Why wait for the weekend?

You are testing enough to use the MPM (Modified Prozinc Method). If you are interested. Have you found the new dosing protocol "Sticky" at the top of the Prozinc ISG forum? You might want to print a copy and see the difference between SLGS and MPM for Prozinc users.

The pre-shot tests (AMPS &PMPS) are always the last of the BG (blood glucose) numbers to go down. She has a long way to go down, to get to the "tree green" numbers (2.7 to 5.5 mmol/L) that you want to see. The number range that will let her pancreas heal.

Would you please make notes on the SS as to what + hours you are feeding Buddy, and how much? Differentiate between AM cycle and PM cycle too please. Notes should go on the "World " tab of the SS and will be copied to the US tab, automatically. Thank you.

That will be really helpful information to have when we look at the spreadsheet to comment. Remarks column on the right is a good place for notes like that. :)

Juls and Billy likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Whoa you're fast! You got the thread title changed and the signature information setup before I could type my reply on the dose and other spreadsheet comments.

Thanks for doing that. See my previous reply for suggestions on the dose.

I see no reason to wait for the weekend to increase the dose. Buddy has been on the 0.75U dose for long enough to know it's not enough insulin. Of course, your work/life/responsibilities schedule could preclude your being home to test like you have been doing. That could be a reason to delay. On the other hand, holding a dose too long can lead to "glucose toxicity."

Your choice. You know your schedule better than I ever will.

p.s. Clicking "Like" on the bottom of a post lets us know you have seen and read it.

DArcey and Buddy likes this.
  5. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Deb is already giving you the awesome advice. I just popped in to say you are taking great care of Buddy and you are in the right place to get good advice. You rock!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. DArcey and Buddy

DArcey and Buddy Member

Hey Deb! Thanks for all your great advice. I will discuss with my girlfriend what you have mentioned and we will see about upping the dose to 1U. The only reason we thought to wait for Saturday is that we will be there to monitor her for the entirety of Sat and Sun.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey D'Arcey! Happy to see you over here from the Facebook group!!! This is where the real magic happens!!

I agree with Deb....I think you could go ahead and go up to 1U....You are testing more than enough now so if you can continue testing a couple of times in between the shots, there's no reason to wait.

The sooner you get Buddy into normal numbers, the better her chance at remission is! Between 2.8 and 6.7 are normal blood glucose numbers for cats...we call them "healing numbers" because when our cats are in normal numbers, the pancreas can rest and do some healing!...and hopefully with a little healing, it'll come back to life and resume doing it's job soon!

DArcey and Buddy and Deb & Wink like this.
  8. Deb & Wink

With Prozinc, just like with lantus insulin, the onset or when the insulin starts to work for a cat is usually around +2.
    So getting those +2 tests can help you see the direction Buddy is headed.
    As Chris said, you do plenty of testing now to know if Buddy was going too low.
    Buddy is not even close to those darker green BG ranges, the "tree green" colors.
    Nor is she close to the "Neon green" < 50 mg/dL (2.7 mmol/L) numbers, when you want to take action.
    Still plenty of room for the BG levels to drop at mid-cycle.

Do you have a hypo kit ready, just in case?

p.s. I found you over in our facebook sister site, and made a comment there a few minutes ago. Possibly why Chris came over here to comment.

9. Deb & Wink

D'Arcey, are you the significant other of @Jess092 by any chance?

DArcey and Buddy likes this.
  10. DArcey and Buddy

DArcey and Buddy Member

Yes, we have some maple syrup and honey with some q-tips, a syringe (just in case), as well as some high carb wet and dry food.

11. DArcey and Buddy

DArcey and Buddy Member

Haha Yupp that’s her. Would it be better to only have one account do you think?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Yes. See my response to her here.
    Time for an increase

If I had know you were talking about the same cat named "Buddy", I would not have needed you to add that signature info. Doesn't hurt.

The only reason I noticed, was I was doing "follow-ups" with some of the members in the Prozinc forum that I help, that I had not heard from in a while. I was doing those followups soon after responding to you in this thread.