Getting a New Cat Friend ....Worried about URI

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oreosmom, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hello All,

We are looking to get a new cat friend for Debbie...and for us! She does miss Oreo a lot. But she is 13 years old and somewhat tempermental. We went to the Humane Society and they said we should be concerned about infecting Debbie with a feline respiratory disease from another cat. Is this something I should be worried about? Is it treatable?

Also, what age of cat would you recommend since Debbie is now queen of the roost! I would appreciate your input.

Warm regards,

Carol in San Diego

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Keep the new cat in a separate room for a week or more and observe for URI. Make sure you was between carings/playing with the new cat and Debbie. Usually URIs just make the cat miserable and they get over it.

3. yogakat

yogakat Member

How sweet that you will be opening your home to another fur kid! And, best of all, you are looking to adopt a shelter kitty. Kitties may act like they are the only ones that exist, but secretly they really enjoy each other's company :smile:

While URIs can be common in shelter environments, I have never had a problem bringing a shelter kitty into our home...we have 7 and they are all shelter rescues. The only concern would be if Debbie has an immune-compromised disorder. Otherwise, you would just want to take you new kitty straight to the vets after adoption for a thorough checkup...they can let you know if s/he needs any meds.

As Debbie is 13, I would recommend an adult (6 or 7+) for a couple of reasons. First, kittens and teens usually have waaaaay too much energy for an older adult, something that could cause resentment. Second, you will pretty well be able to see the 'purrsonality' that your new housemate will have. As you already have another cat, you are looking for someone who gets along with the other kitties at the shelter...not necessarily fawning over them but very okay when others are around. And since Debbie is queen, it is easier to spot a non-alpha adult...because all kittens are crazy little balls of energy! Finally, older cats are not adopted nearly as often and many will have to live their lives in a shelter environment (if they are lucky enough to be at a no-kill). Give a more seasoned girl or guy a forever home!

Also, don't forget that it's very normal for cats to take a good month to get used to having each other around...hissing and a general level of 'I hate you' can be normal at first.

And, since you have had a DK, have you considered adopting a special needs? Most of ours are, and most do NOT require anything special (one has an amputation, one had a mild heart condition that has since resolved, two had severe dental issues that were taken care of, and we've had behavioral issues that really required nothing more than a willingness on our part to get to the root of the problem...everyone is great today!). Oh, and our DK!

As someone who has spent MANY years in the rescue world, I find that older and/or special kitties have more than enough love to give. :RAHCAT

Congratulations on your decision to adopt!

4. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

Hi Carol!

Glad to hear you are thinking of adding a new member to your family. I volunteer & foster for our local SPCA. URI is always a concern--my cats have been exposed several times. Unfortunately URI is quite common in shelter cats, especially this time of year (just like human colds) BUT it's highly treatable and usually not too much worry. I would suggest keeping them separate for 7-10 days which is generally the incubation time for an URI. Our shelter gives a free first vet visit with the adoption, so we always suggest folks take advantage of going to the vet within the first 2 weeks.

As for age I would also suggest an adult cat--depending on how the cat came in to the shelter (surrender vs stray), the volunteers & staff should be able to tell you if the cat has lived with other cats, dogs, kids, etc. As for male vs female--in my opinion personality weighs more than sex of the cat. If you decide on a younger cat (3 yrs or less) I'd suggest adopting two so they leave the senior cat be.

You could also ask the shelter if they have a foster program--maybe foster to adopt?

Good luck! We currently have 6 cats, and a revolving door of fosters. Can't wait to hear about your new friend!

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you do start to see signs of a URI, immediately start giving both cats l-lysine. It will help the new cats get over the URI faster and possibly help keep Debbie from catching it.

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you do start to see signs of a URI, immediately start giving both cats l-lysine. It will help the new cats get over the URI faster and possibly help keep Debbie from catching it.

7. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Thanks All for your kind replies! You gave me a lot to think about when we look for our new kitty. I don't want a diabetes cat right now...though it might be an option later on in our lives.
    Anyway, I will keep you posted on what cat we take home.

Warm regards,

Carol in San Diego

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Stress can allow viruses to re-emerge that are otherwise dormant. By quarentining the new cat for a good week or so, you allow that cat to adjust to the stress of moving to a new environment. You can support the cat's immune system with up to 500 mg of l-lysine, before any symptoms appear.

To prevent transmitting possible infection, wear an inexpensive painter's coverall and booties when you interact with the new cat. Remove these in the room when leaving the room and wash up thoroughly. It is often fomites - infectious particles - on your clothing and shoes which transfer infection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.