Getting a sudden longer insulin duration??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EmmettsMom, Jun 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmmettsMom

EmmettsMom New Member

We are using Novolin n which has been going pretty well, surprisingly. Emmett's nadir has been pretty consistently at +5 or +6, but for the last two days it looks like he's been getting a longer, slower duration.

I know that's a good thing, especially for an insulin known to drop hard and fast, but now I'm befuddled. He had an AMPS of 126 this morning so I'm stalling and testing again in an hour, but I'm thinking that a reduction to 1.5U would be wise for a week or so to see how he does. It's nice to see a flatter longer curve so I don't necessary want to jump too soon to a lower dose if this one is working for him. I haven't caught any super low numbers yet which is good, but I know they can sneak in there so I'm trying to be cautious.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Stall for 20 mins or 30 mins then test.
    1 hour is too long without testing at shot time.
    I’m not a Novolin user so can’t help but I do know that 126 is too low to shoot.
    Do you usually feed then wait an hour before giving the shot?

3. EmmettsMom

EmmettsMom New Member

Yes I feed three hours before his AM shot at 5:30am (he's usually very hungry) then 30-45 mins before. Tested again now and got 137 so it's going up, but not fast. I'm still stalling and will skip if his numbers stay this low for much longer.

4. EmmettsMom

EmmettsMom New Member

Decided to shoot a half dose (1U) 1.5 hours late to try to keep him in these nice low numbers. He had a BG of 197 and rising. I'll be monitoring closely throughout the day for him to drop too low. Have high carb food at the ready.

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m not familiar with your insulin either, but I if it works like most you should not feed before the test. When you feed 30-45 minutes before the shot is that also before feeding? because otherwise you may be getting higher numbers due to the food and that 126 could be even lower :bookworm:

6. EmmettsMom

EmmettsMom New Member

It's so confusing because with Novolin and all the other NPH type insulins everything says that you are supposed feed them 1 hour before shooting so the sudden drop isn't as steep. For all other insulins you're supposed to feed then shoot immediately. :confused:

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Food has to be on board because the insulin hits hard and fast. It's also helpful because you wouldn't want kitty to eat, shoot, and then kitty for whatever reason pukes and suddenly has no food in the system. The other insulins are gentler and slower, so that's why food doesn't have to already be in the system. :) Vetsulin is the same way (as NPH).

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

So testing needs to happen an hour before shooting too right?

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, so you can stall feeding if necessary! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.