Getting Cassie back on track

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by bookw0rm, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

Cassie just come home feom the vet for DKA. We're concentrating on keeping him eating before I start adjusting to low carb wet. He's on 1.5 u PZI bid. His amps was 470 @ 7, but thwn I did a fur shot.

In the feline health thread, Venita said I may be able to adjust his dose at +6 today. Can anyone advise?

The vet said he's been running in the 300s in the last couple days.

2. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Re: Cassie, recovering DKA & furshot HELP

I don't mean to sound like I am questioning you, but are you certain it was a furshot?

Even with furshots, it is so hard to know if "any" insulin got into the cat. Normally, I would advise to not worry about the shot and just reshoot at 12 hours your normal dose. But, with DKA so soon in the rear view mirror, it makes the situation much more complicated.

Let's see if anyone else comes along that can help, but in the meantime, get some spot checks so we can be certain what the blood glucose is doing. This will help make a determination if it would be safe to shoot early.

My Cat, Kitty, also had DKA-- so I know your anxiety about the furshot. I have followed you on the health board.

Please continue to post in PZI, we are a small group, but we like to try and help our fellow PZI kitties.

I will keep a check on your thread to see if you get more responses. Nancy and Payne post here some and she has had too much DKA experience, but she would be a great one to weigh in on the furshot following DKA. There are lots of experienced users that post here--they just sleep late!!!! But, they will be along soon I am sure.

Try to get some test in and I will check back with you.

Kim

3. kse

kse Well-Known Member

One more thing...Are you testing for ketones at home? It is not uncommon after DKA for kitties to throw off ketones, so please continue to monitor Cassie for ketones.

4. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Hello & welcome to our group! I'm not experienced enough to give you dosing advice but hopefully someone will be here to help you shortly. Are you saying AMPS this morning was at 7:00 and BG was 470 and what time zone are you in? If you think it was a fur shot we typically advise waiting till the next shot to give anything. You just don't know usually for sure if/how much any insulin got in. How long have you been shooting 1.5? Have you gotten any mid cycle tests? Are you saying he just got home from the vet today? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I think others will want the info to get a good handle on dosing suggestions? Have you started a spreadsheet? Post whatever other blood sugar readings you have if you haven't started a spreadsheet.

Edit: I see Kim posted also.....hopefully we aren't overwhelming you...listen to Kim. :smile:

5. bookw0rm

At least some of the insulin missed; his fur was wet.

I'm going to check at +4 (about 11) and see how things look. Unfortunately I don't know his "normal" pattern.

I'm going to try to test for ketones, assuming I can find the strips & get a sample.

6. Barbara

So you don't have and blood sugar readings except the one from this morning?

Do you have a Wal Mar near you? If so you can get the strips there, you might have to ask for them at the Pharmacy counter. That's the cheapest place usually to get them but I found them at Target & any other drug store should have them live CVS, Walgreens they will just be more expensive.

7. bookw0rm

He came home last nigjt but I didn't get a pmps (this morning was my first successful test). He was at the vet for 8 days, and they kept adjusting his dose because he wasn't eating, but I think the 1.5 was new yesterday. I don't have any other readings yet because this is all so new; he was only diagnosed a couple weeks ago.

Here's the other thread for more info: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49785

Thanks!

8. kse

kse Well-Known Member

That is the thing with furshots---you know some didn't get in, but you don't know how much! We will help you.

Like Barbara said, you can get the urine ketone strips at Walmart or a drug store. Once a cat is prone to ketones, they will be more prone to having ketones, so you will need to keep Cassie checked. I check my Kitty a lot. She had DKA 5 months ago, and we have only had negative test since then. So, it doesn't necessarily mean they will have ketones again--but, you need to keep a check.

Maybe some of the insulin got in....try to get some checks.

I see you are in West Virginia--Barbara and myself are also on Eastern Standard time!

9. bookw0rm

Thanks, everyone. I know it may be best to just wait till the next shot. Fortunately I can keep a close watch since it's the weekend.

I got some strips & will check once I figure out how to get a sample. I actually asked the vet if I could, she didn't mention it. It'll be tricky with 2 cats.

10. kse

kse Well-Known Member

You need a clean fresh urine sample. The best way to test is to catch Cassie in the box and put the strip under the urine stream.

The reference color guide is normally on the side of the box.

11. bookw0rm

+4 BS 453

I don't think he got much insulin this morning. I'll check again in 2 hours.

12. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa,
    Be sure and get a +6 and if it is still in the 400's you will need to give some insulin because of the DKA. You had a syringe filled with 1.5u this AM? and you are shooting 1.5u 2x a day?

The first week after the DKA is the trickiest ..... you want to make sure he gets enough insulin and has no ketones. (because you DON'T want to do this again!)

I do have a question .... why did he keep crashing at the vets? did they say?

Nancy and Payne

13. bookw0rm

They never said. I think it was because the old vet did not have 24 hour monitoring. They'd dose for the night, leave, he wouldn't eat, so he'd crash. I.honestly think he was better (no ketones since Sat.) but they couldn't regulate his blood sugar until he went to the teaching hospital.

You're correct on the dose. If it's still high around 1 (+6), what do I do?

14. nancy and payne

Let's wait to see what his number is .... if it is high maybe 1u .... but lets see. It is important especially in this first week after DKA that he get's enough insulin because lack of insulin is the #1 cause of DKA ... but don't worry we won't let that happen.

Your on east coast time, so your shot this AM was at 7AM? how is he eating?

15. bookw0rm

+6 440

He's eating well since he came home. He's a grazer-just a bite or two at a time.

So do I give more insulin? 1 u or .5?

16. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I am on my phone, so it is hard to type and drive.. But, post your +6. I agree with Nancy that you might need to give some insulin--but see what the bg is first.

17. nancy and payne

It looks like a true fur shot .... but because of the DKA I would give 1u and check him regularly .... +2+4 and then we'll decide about his last shot later.

18. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I agree with Nancy --just keep her checked. You need to test.

19. bookw0rm

Ok. Going for 1 u. Will test other times & post at new +4 (5 ish eastern) for advice.
    Thanks

20. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Lisa. Great job on getting the testing going so quickly! You are ahead of the game. Many people find that a most difficult struggle in the beginning (and I was one of them!)
    Sounds like you are in good hands herenand getting solid advice.
    KIM, I am sorry if this is none of my business, but I wish you would not type while you are driving!!! Who will take care of Kitty is something happens to you?

21. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa
    Welcome to PZI land..
    Everyone here is so very helpful
    so dont worry you are in good hands

Denise and Shakes

22. bookw0rm

Amps 470 1.5 u, fur shot
    +4 453
    +6 440 1 u
    +2 382
    +4 114

Gonna keep a close eye to make sure he doesn't go too low. Nadir is around +6, right? Then it goes back up?

Still nibbling off & on. I hope I can skip the appetite srimulant tomorrow-makes him jumpy.

23. nancy and payne

Okay Lisa, he got more than we thought in the fur shot .... he is okay but I want you to test him a half hour from the +4, he is dropping quickly. Could you feed him right after you test him, is he eating wet food?

24. bookw0rm

He won't eat wet food; he's eating dry high carb still because he wasn't eating before the DKA or at the vet until they gave him dry. They told me that it's more important that he eats than trying to switch. He free-feeds, but I'll try to get.him.to eat as soon as I do this next test.

25. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn't get more in the furshot then we think....maybe his bid dose was to high at 1.5. Maybe he is a 1 unit cat.....maybe?

I think he will be okay, but keep him checked --some kitties nadir as late as +8.

Your vet is correct about him needing to eat anything, but after this DKA episode and once he stabilizes and you can get him off of the dry---you will need to reduce his insulin dose.

I am in and out of service, but I will stay with you and check in as much as possible.

26. bookw0rm

+4.5 83

Got him to eat a little.

27. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I think he will be okay, but if necessary do you have karo or honey to rub on his gums? You are not there yet and have a ways to go....I just am asking as a precationary. It is better to be prepared---I keep both on the counter at all times.

You are doing good....feed him what he will eat.

28. bookw0rm

I have honey if necessary.

They started him on Hills m/d when he was diagnosed, but he didn't eat it and then got sick. I'm going to try to find somwthing he'll eat (or at least a lower carb dry) as soon as he's stable. I know this will affect his dose.

29. kse

kse Well-Known Member

You will be fine...low numbers are not a problem unless you are not testing and not prepared. Things like Honey and Karo are not necessary until a cat reaches really low numbers.

There are stickies on the top of the Health page that discuss Hypo and the symptoms and how to treat it. I printed the pages out the first day I started insulin for Kitty---and I keep it in the top drawer in the dresser. It is good to read that information, just in case you ever need it.

30. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I have to step out, but just know that if you get in low numbers that you are uncomfortable with...you can post in health for advice. There is more traffic there than in PZI.

I have an Iphone and will keep a check, but it is not as easy to respond.

Please post if you get another test.

31. wombat88

wombat88 Member

I'm around too. I've subscribed to the thread, so I can help if need be.

32. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy!

33. nancy and payne

Lisa, we really need a +5 .... sorry but we need to know which way he is going. Does he seem fine? Did your vet say why he kept crashing at the vets?

Do you have any #'s that you are keeping? You will need to set up a spreadsheet (SS) I think your guy is sensitive to insulin and the 1.5u is probably too much, but you need to keep a SS to figure it out.

It will be fine but we need to stay on top of the drop, don't go too far :) do you know his nadir? that is the lowest point in the 12 hr. cycle.

34. nancy and payne

Wendy he seems to be more sensitive to insulin than we thought, are you caught up because Kim is out to dinner at the shore .... (I had a P&J sandwich :)

35. wombat88

wombat88 Member

If no spreadsheet, where are the other posts that describe his BG levels to date?

36. nancy and payne

Lisa are we at +5 yet?

Wendy he was Dx. around the first of Aug. and has been in ER with DKA , so there are no numbers yet.

37. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Got it. I found the other thread and just finished reading it.

38. bookw0rm

+5.5 61

Still going down. Don't know his nadir-first day of testing. Hoping for upswing soon. He's not acting funny or anything.

He crashed overnight at the vet twice last weekend; he was on 1 unit bid then.

39. nancy and payne

You need to watch him and test again in 15 min. pzi USUALLY has a +6 nadir so he could still go down and we DON'T want him to crash, Ok .... did you read the hypo stuff? if we need to use the honey, no karo? you need to rub it on his gums.

And just wondering if he crashed on 1u why did they raise him to 1.5u?

40. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Do you have some dry food on hand that you can feed him? Feeding a little may keep him from dropping too much more. The full 1U on top of the other dose is a bit too much insulin, I think. The problem with fur shots is you don't know how much they really got. So if you do give more, it is better to err on the conservative side.

Just so I'm clear, he got 1U (sort of) this AM and another 1U at +6? So he's gone from 440 down to 61 in only 5 hours? Definitely want to give him dry food then as that's an awfully steep drop, but you've got two doses overlapping with each other.

41. nancy and payne

He is on dry food. His AM shot was for 1.5u (which she thought was a fur shot) but at +6 he was 440 and is just home from ER with DKA, so we thought because of the DKA to give him 1u figuring he would be past the nadir from any insulin from the first shot.

What we were not aware of that he crashed on 1u b.i.d. at the vets .....

42. bookw0rm

+5.75 64

He crashed at first vet but wasn't eating. They couldn't monitor overnight. Was low (24} Tues. when I took him to the teaching hosp. They didn't start him on insulin again right away. When I picked him up yesterday they had gone up to 1.5 because he was running high & had started to eat. He's.been yoyoing since dx ~2 weeks ago.

43. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Yikes. Mixing dry food with karo might be an option too.

44. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Just keep monitoring every 15 minutes until you are sure he's rising. At least he hasn't dropped more, but with meters there is a +/- 20% variation, so he may be higher or lower than what the meter shows. Keep dry food out for him and if he keeps dropping have the karo syrup ready then.

45. Barbara

Nancy, you're able to stay with her, right?

46. nancy and payne

Still not out of the woods yet, but it looks better ..... Lisa sorry but in 15 min. again. And we will get him figured out.

47. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Maybe he is leveling out. Test again in 15 mins.

You are doing Great.

I agree with Nancy... Why did they increase his dose?

Forget the 1.5 as his dose.

48. nancy and payne

I am here for another hour and that should get us past this .... and Lisa, the 1.5u is probably too high. I know his #'s are high right now but we need to be careful with a kitty who goes low.

49. Barbara

Ok, just make sure she know's when/what dose to give next before you leave!

50. bookw0rm

+6 48

He's still nibbling a bit. Not going to worry unless the next one is lower.

51. nancy and payne

Is he showing any signs of hypo? eyes dilated? groggy? Try and keep him eating .... do you have any canned food that has gravy? you could pour the gravy over the dry. This SHOULD be our lowest point but we don't know his nadir.

Lisa what was the time of his second shot? the 1u. When we get past this .... you are going to want to shoot him 12 hrs. from that time and I wouldn't go any higher than 1u and if he wasn't post-DKA I would go lower.

52. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Keep feeding him---

53. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I would reduce next shot...

54. bookw0rm

No symptoms, just numbers. Still eating.

+6.25 49

First I didn't get enough blood, then I had a geyser. :smile:

The 1 u was at 1:15

55. nancy and payne

I know that happens sometimes and you think .... all that blood wasted! What time was the second shot?

56. nancy and payne

Sorry I must not be able to read ..... you understand this is a tightrope right now. He needs enough insulin to keep the DKA away but we need to make sure he doesn't keep crashing. 15 min. please.

57. bookw0rm

I think I knew that.

+6.75 50

At least he's not dropping. & he's eating (not bad for a boy who needed an appetite stimulant).

58. bookw0rm

+6.75 47

59. nancy and payne

The last # was +7? I need to leave in a half hour, Kim is around and I will be back in two hours.

What you need to think about is how to get back on track once we are past this .... you go to school, right. So your best shot times morning/evening? We need to figure how to get you back. in 15 please and yes, you knew I was going to say that :)

60. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Keep testing. He's still very low. Dry food mixed with karo syrup or honey if he drops any more, or canned food gravy if you have it.

61. bookw0rm

+7 45

Looks like Cassie's gonna be a weirdo was a late nadir.

62. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Still watch him, but he has leveled out.

63. nancy and payne

Unfortunately, a late nadir means he can keep going down, although it does look as if he's stabilizing.

Lisa, you need to set up a SS because the dance with this one is going to be complicated! I have one of those and I also keep a ledger with all her #'s and everything about her. It helps to have everything in one place!

You know what to do .... if he goes any lower, rub honey on his gums, it will make him go higher .... but for a short time, you still need to test every 15 until you get two rising numbers. I need to think about his shot schedule now.

64. bookw0rm

+7.25 48

Actually, I teach, but same principal. Morning/evening is best, complicated by a night class.

I was planning to start a spreadsheet this week; only internet right now is my phone. I didn't expect so.much fun this fast.

65. nancy and payne

Hence bookworm :)
    I will be back in 2 hours Kim is around .... you know what to do, every 15 min. until you get 2 rising #'s.

66. bookw0rm

+7.5 47

He's definitely leveled out, and we're both.getting tired of testing.

By the way, in case I forget later, thank you! to everyone who's been helping, especially Kim & Nancy.

67. bookw0rm

+ 7.75 53

Does this count as as rising? It's not substantially higher.

68. wombat88

wombat88 Member

Normal meter variation is +/- 20% so numerically not really any change. Will you be able to get internet access at home? This cat of yours will be a challenge, I think.

69. bookw0rm

+8 44. darn.

Apparently he nadirs at 6 & plateaus fora couple hours.

70. kse

kse Well-Known Member

He should start coming up soon---+8 is about the latest nadir you will see on Prozinc.

Assuming no insulin got in on the furshot today--and I don't think it did or you would have seen some drop as insulin sensitive as he is--I am thankful you furshot. It would have been way too much.

When he starts rising tonight, I would expect a quick and rapid rise.

71. bookw0rm

+8.25 46

So, do I go with 1 u or .5? Can't really do other subdivisions with u-40 needles I have.

72. bookw0rm

+8.5 52.

This is getting absurd. Isn't it supposed to change?

73. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Don't shoot anything now! You know that....right?

You should not shoot any number lower than 200---just keep checking him. It appears he has leveled off, but he has a lot of rising to do before you can consider what to shoot.

You have 4 more hours before we will know what to shoot.

I use U40s--you can shoot 1/2 units--you just eyeball it the best you can.

74. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Okay 3 1/2 hours now before we can consider your next dose!

75. kse

kse Well-Known Member

"Normally" after a cycle of low numbers like you are seeing, the next cycle the cat will either have a high flat cyle or the cat will be very insulin sensitive. You have had to feed a lot this cycle of high carb dry food to keep his numbers from dropping lower than the 40s---I realize it is the first week post DKA, but I just don't think I would shoot 1 unit again next cycle.

I am not a dosing expert or one of the more experienced people that post here, so I hate for you to go on my advice---but, I would be scared of the 1 unit. We have no way of knowing, but I don't think this cycle of lows is a result of "more" insulin getting in then we thought on the furshot. If that was the case, I would have expected you to see some drop during those 6 hours after the shot---you saw none..it was flat. I think this cycle the 1 unit stands alone. But, we don't know for sure!

Didn't you say he crashed at the vet on 1 unit twice?

76. bookw0rm

I do know not to shoot. ;-)

The vet did say to give him .5 u even if he doesn't, which I found odd. I guess it's the KDA; you worry more about missing.

+8.75 61 (finally, I hope; marginally signifigant).

77. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I assumed you knew not to shoot.....the question just caught me off guard!!! I felt crazy asking, but I had rather sound foolish than assume wrongly!

He is rising, that is good!

Okay, we will wait and see where he goes. He might be at 150 at preshot or 400---it is so hard to predict.

So, the vet said shoot .5? But, he shoots 1.0? Is that correct? Was the .5 recommendation prior to DKA or after it?

78. bookw0rm

His original dose was 1 u sid. He was on it for about a week. I think they switched to bid when he went in for DKA. I know he crashed twice, possibly 3 times. It's all complicated by the fact that he wasn't eating and was force fed 4-5 days so everything was off. He's not transitioned to low carb food yet either.

79. bookw0rm

The last dose instructioms were 1.5 bid, & if he didn't eat, don't skip, give .5.

(oh, looks like I left "eat" out of that sentence. Sorry!)

80. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Wish I could have caught you on the sid---My cat, Kitty, was on sid for 3 weeks before crashing into DKA. The group here tried to tell me to shoot bid---BUT, I listened to the vet instead.......

Once you get Cassie off of the dry food---you really might have a kitty that can go OTJ. With the insulin response to 1 Unit that you got today and eating dry high carb food a diet change might be all you need to go into remission. We will see when we cross that bridge!

81. bookw0rm

+9 75 {whew!)

Can I stop poking him for a bit? He's being a good sport, but still.

That first week I wasn't testing since they said I needed a fancy meter. I was doing a lot of reading though, & was going to ask again. DKA hit a few days before his appointment.

82. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Yes, quit poking him!

Can you test at +11.5--that will give some idea how high he will be at +12.

We need to worry more about the nadir than the preshot when deciding the next dose.

Good Job!

Whew from Me too!

83. bookw0rm

+9.25 92

I'll check back later now that he's rising. Do we need anything before +12 @ 1:15?

+11.5 will be around 12:45. His plateau was 44-50 ish from +6 to +8.5.

84. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

I know I am coming in late to this....
    but Sue told me I am the poster child for fur shots...
    and to remember my experience..
    I thought for sure the sitter gave Shakes a fur shot
    at +5 he was 370, I was going crazy know ing he was so high
    but the next mronig he was 250 pre shot
    always be care ful if you decide to shoot mid cycle

I know you dont need to hear this now but keep up with the testing

I see that you are kind of safe for now..
    keep testing and hang in there

85. kse

kse Well-Known Member

No, you are good....no more test until +12!

86. kse

kse Well-Known Member

I am going to bed, but Nancy will be back and Wendy is on line!

Maybe some of the others will also get involved in your next dose.

I would reduce some off of the 1 Unit, but probably not all the way to .5. See what the others say---I am no dosing expert!

You did Great today! Good Luck tonight.

87. wombat88

wombat88 Member

I also need to get to bed, late here. I agree with Kim though. It appears that 1U is too much, plus your kitty will be very insulin sensitive after this episode. I'd suggest trying 0.75U if you can eyeball it.

88. nancy and payne

I'm back, sorry .... my feeling is to give him a token .25u at 1:00 .... then in the AM get back on schedule and shoot .50u and we'll see how he does.

89. nancy and payne

Lisa I will be here at 1:00 and we'll decide the dose when we know his PS# .... you have done really well today!

90. bookw0rm

+11.5 334

Boy that shot up fast.

91. Re: Cassie, recovering DKA & furshot HELP

I've been working tonight, but have been following this thread all day, and glad that everything seems to be good now.
    One thing you've learned is that Cassie can go into the 40's and still be okay, so that is useful knowledge.

I just have to say, though:

:lol: that's the funniest post of the day. And I read it while driving down the road while working! Hey, but at least I wasn't "Texting while driving"! Isn't it just incredible the lengths that folks here will go to help people when they need help? This place is so amazing!

Carl in SC

92. nancy and payne

Lisa, he's going to be high because of the low.

Because he is so off schedule what would you think of giving him .25u at +12 .... then in the AM (what time do you need to give the shot during the week?) give him .50u? We can move his shots some tomorrow but let's get him back to AM, what do you think?

93. bookw0rm

That's still loqer than he started at 18 hours ago.

I think .25 now seems reasonable. Eventually I'll need to check him at 6 or 6:30, but classes don't start until Wed. We have meetings Mon & Tues so my schedule is a little more flexible.

94. nancy and payne

Okay, why don't you give him the .25u now and then why don't we start his shot at 11:00AM and we can decide the dose then. But for this moment until we get some data, I wouldn't shoot 1u again .... when you get him on wet food, Kim's right he might go OTJ! (off insulin!) but don't change yet!

You did really well today teach! dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

95. Re: Cassie, recovering DKA & furshot HELP

Wow, really facinating thread. I'd concur with the .25, not that you need my vote. I'd like to thank Nancy, Kim, Lisa,and everyone else that posted today (but most importantly Cassie) for the education.

Carl in SC

96. bookw0rm

+12 356

We'll go with .25 u (as close as we can) now & will check @ +6 in the morning. Thanks all! Good night.

97. nancy and payne

Sorry, that is 11:00AM your time, which would be +10 right? He nadirs late it seems. You have until Wed. to get him down to 6AM, right? I'll be on in the AM and remember he will be high but we need to go slow because these lows are not good.

Go to sleep we'll talk at 11:00 AM (your time EST) I need to get up and give my Payne her shot so I'll stay up and we'll work it out with fresh minds. Good night.

98. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

What a great job you guys did today. You are all AWESOME!!!!!!

99. bookw0rm

+6 334

(this is from the .25)

Yes, 11 am is +10, he should be rising then.
    Time for a nap, now.

Attached Files:

100. nancy and payne

Good morning Lisa, I hope you got some sleep. :lol:

We are going to go slow this AM .... did you say we had until Wed. morning for him to be at 6AM first shot? How is he doing this morning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.