Getting Cassie back on track

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by bookw0rm, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

Re: Cassie, recovering DKA & furshot HELP

+10 482

He seems fine. We're all having a lazy morning.

Yes, I have until Wed to adjust to 6 am. So, now what? .5?

2. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

All in all, not bad .... yes, give him .5u and I would normally say a lazy day would be a good day to do a curve but after last night .... why don't you check him at +6 and +8 and post with the numbers, please. He seems to nadir late. Then his shot tonight will be 10:30PM and moving by half an hour each shot.

Any problems and come back on, I will be in and out but I will keep an eye on you. Have a great day!

3. bookw0rm

Can do. .5 now, check in at + and +8.

Now maybe I can go work on my office like I'd planned yesterday.

4. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Good job you two. I will be in place in a few hours and will check in with you, in the meantime I will check on you with my phone to be sure everything is going smoothly!

I agree, not a bad 10 hours on just .25U.

5. Ginny & Alex

Ginny & Alex Well-Known Member

Lisa,
    I just caught up on your thread. Good luck with everything and finding doses that work.

My Alex was DKA about a month ago and seems to be doing well.
    This group has been very supportive.

I know others have already said it, but don't forget to keep checking for ketones.

6. wombat88

wombat88 Member

I see what you were doing. I forgot about his being way off schedule. Doing a token dose makes sense, in addition to the fact that he seems like he may have been getting too much insulin and would be hypersensitive anyway after the extended greens. Glad you were on top of it, but of course you would be! Off to read the rest of the thread.

7. nancy and payne

Hi Lisa, I know I'm tired but are we not at +6 ...... ohmygod_smile

8. bookw0rm

Sorry, yes. I thought I'd just post all at once.

+6 437
    +8 457

Too high, of course. I even managed a ketone test. I carried him to the litter box & set him down. He gave me a funny look, and let loose. Ketone = 0 :D

9. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Some of these high flat numbers today might be a reaction to the low numbers yesterday. It is not uncommon to have high flat cycles--irregardless of the dose (within reason)--after a cycle like you saw yesterday. So, while we might want to assume the .5 dose is way too little--we need to be careful. We know 1 Unit was strong--assuming no insulin got in on the furshot...so, I can't imagine that .5 would produce no drop, unless bounce/rebound was involved.

Good on the Ketone test!

10. bookw0rm

So are we thinking .75 tonight? Keep in mind we're trying to wigglr the schedule so they'll be closer than 12 hours.

11. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Let's see what Nancy says. I think she is setting it up to get you back on schedule.

12. nancy and payne

So the basics .... you shot first shot at 8AM? (we will stay on EST) then your shot tonight would be at 7:30PM.
    We are going to move him a half hour closer to your time frame for his shots normally. (starting Wed. AM?)

We knew he would be high today .... however you want to frame it. That is one of the reasons doing a curve today would be pointless, you want to do a curve on a normal day ....

It seems as if he has a late nadir? but we need data to know that. It is important to know how the insulin works in him. My Payne has a nadir between +4 and +6 and she is very prone to ketones. I have things that I do and it is important to know how the insulin is working in her.

Since you got a +4 and +6 on the first shot .... maybe after his shot tonight you can get in a +2 and if possible a +4 ... that will show us some things.

The dose tonight .... maybe I'm spooked ohmygod_smile but I would err on cautions side and do .5u again, then if everything seems fine, up it to .75u for his AM shot at 7AM ....

A lot to take in, I know but we will even him out but the timing is really important. But no ketones!!!

13. bookw0rm

Actually, his shot today was at 11 am est. We're still off sync.

14. nancy and payne

When I typed it, it didn't seem right, now I've got it.

So then your tonight shot is 10:30 PM, then tomorrow AM 10:00 AM first shot, then PM shot 9:30 PM ... and so on .... you are moving each shot by 1/2 hr.

Do you agree on the dose? Remember you have the cat .... we can only guide you but the decisions are all yours. He is very sensitive to insulin and that might be because he was over-dosed too much in the beginning or he doesn't actually need much, only data will tell. I think it is prudent now not to keep giving him too much. Look what he did with the .25u! My Payne would spit that out like what's the point! :lol:

Sometimes the slower approach is better in the beginning, especially if we don't need to worry about ketones at the moment.

15. bookw0rm

I'll try .5 tonight and see what hsppens. Want to see some lower numbers (but not as low as yesterday), though.

16. bookw0rm

Shot .5 @ 10:30.

PS 435
    +4 262
    +6 259

I like these numbers better. Next shot will be either .5 or .75, depending on PS #. Of course, I have to go back to work today and now I wish I'd gottwn more sleep. ;-)

Found out I can't update the SS on my phone so it will have to wait until I go to work.

17. kse

kse Well-Known Member

This is a good reaction to the insulin and good drop on the .5.

I think I would be very careful increasing to .75 based on these numbers. Remember, he appears to have a late nadir--around +8, so he probably will drop some more. You have to be real careful basing your dose on the preshot. The nadir is as important as the preshot and you must consider the two together.

An increase to .75 would be a 50 percent increase on your .5 dose---that is a big increase based on your numbers this morning.

If you do think you need to increase, I might would try to just do a Fat .5---a "little" more!

Eventually, once he settles down and you get on a "normal" shooting schedule you can concerntrate more on getting him in better numbers. With so little data, and the events on one unit and the "crashes" at the vet---I would be leary of .75.

Okay, I just felt a need to say that! Others might disagree, and I do agree that eventually you might see a need to increase to .75--but, I am not sure I would increase to that on the next cycle. I would take smaller increases and see where it led me.

I am no dosing expert----

Are you going to test him around +8? If so, post your test results--some others will be along and I will check back before 10:30.

You are doing Great....keep checking for ketones!

Just my thoughts!

18. nancy and payne

Good morning Lisa, nice #'s on very little insulin .... As Kim said, staying with this dose a little longer is very prudent, especially since he really should be running a little higher for a few days and yet we are still getting decent drops.

Hope your day at work goes well! I love teachers! Maybe when you get home and post, you would want to start a new thread .... this one is getting LONG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.