Ginger could use some eating vines

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dyana, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Last condo

I know it's been forever since I've posted. I've wanted to, but do feel a little out of place.

Ginger is having some issues with eating today. She ate fine last night and this morning, but hasn't eaten since. Not even treats which is totally unlike her. She was outside chasing a grasshopper this afternoon, and she does follow me into the kitchen crying for food, she just only sniffs it or licks it and then walks away.
    I have some old Ondansetron, I could try to get into her, if needed. I'm sure I have some old Mirtz and old Cypro around here somewhere, if needed too.

On August 1st, she had a blood test, and all tests were within normal range, except for her T4 was 5.0 (reference range 0.8 to 4.7) and her Free T.4 was 3.0 (reference range 0.7 to 2.6), and she had another T4 test on Thursday and it was 4.1. She would have gone to Dr. Peterson's Hypurrcat for i131 on this coming Tuesday, but he only treats if they are 5.0 or above.

She has been hiding a tiny bit more than normal, as in, she was outside and laying in the bushes and didn't want to come in today during the hot part of the day, and I wanted her to come inside where it was cooler, but she does love to be outside even when it's hot with all that fur.

I went outside to get her again, and brought treats and she came and smelled them and wouldn't eat them. That is not like her. She then went and threw up a hairball? (looked like a formed poo). I found one of those in my house the other day when I came home from work. I think she is pooing normally, as there is a normal poo in the litter box that is not covered and she is the alpha cat and does not cover. She did drink some water.

She won't eat treats. She ate one treat earlier. And licked the second and left it.

She has me worried. Everyone imagine her eating with gusto like normal, please.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Tons of eating and appy vines going your way for Ginger. :bighug::bighug::bighug: It does sound like she is nauseated. I would start with an anti nausea med like ondansetron before an appy stim.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Do you have Ginger on probiotics? They really helped my kitty Fritz. I give him Renew Life Ultimate Flora 25 Billion Live Cultures per capsule. I capsule a day sprinkled on his food.
    Maybe try some baby food without garlic or onion.How about tuna and tuna juice? Chicken breasts (yum) Do you heat her food? Fritz likes it warm. Maybe a different flavor of food.
    Wonder if it could be pancreatitis? Hope you are able to get her eating again or find out whats causing it. Does she have a URI? How are her teeth?
    Feel better Ginger :cat: hope sh'es ok Dyana:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

julie & punkin (ga) likes this.
  5. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Those hairballs knock my Polly off her feed. But once she gets all the fur urpped up, her appy returns.

I use odansetron when Polly is really turning her nose up at her usual favorites. Works for us. (And I jump on it even before the lip smacking b/c of her pancreatitis tendancies,) In a few hours, she's got her appy plus some back.

Whatever, Dyana...your poretty girl has vines galore coming from here. Nonstop.

Never. You know, we need our Jackson and Ginger fix from time to time.

Marilyn and Polly

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely we need our Jackson and Ginger fix!!
    I hope that it is just a hairball and that Ginger got it out and will be feeling better by tomorrow. Sending lots of "eat yer fuds" vines to your girl.
    I guess her hyperT is borderline. I remember that Stu's hyperT caused him to lose weight even though he was eating. He was also grooming all the time, pulling out his hair and therefore forming more hairballs. Both weight loss and excessive hairballs/grooming are symptoms of hyperT.
    As you may recall, we took him to Dr. Peterson's clinic, but he was too weak to begin the treatment. But what a fantastic place that is, and how wonderful and caring Dr. Peterson is. If you wind up taking Ginger there, she will be in good hands.

Sending lots of hugs to you, Dyana, and scritches to the kitties,

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ella & Rusty

7. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

sending feel better vines, appy vines, eating vines and hugs and scritches too....

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I'd try ondansetron if you have it and I hope you do. It's a miracle drug for Max.:bighug:

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending all kinds of appy vines for Ginger, hope she starts eating again for you soon. It does sound like she's nauseated, hoping the Ondansetron works! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Megan and Boots (GA)

Megan and Boots (GA) Member

Hope some ondansetron will help. Sending vines and hoping she'll eat something soon.

11. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

(((Dyana)))
    I am right now visualizing Ginger eating with gusto.
    My strongest eating vines to beautiful Ginger.
    :bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  12. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie Lola tho tiny is an absolute artist with fur balls, and her appetite is off when she's creating!
    Sending eat-like-a-Hoover-vac vines your way..:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

14. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

I'm sending eating vines to Ginger.
    :cat: Tux

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Sending eating vines to our little buddy, Ginger! I hope she perks up.

I'd try an anti-nausea, I'd also try the probiotics. Have you seen this link about them? McGee was vomiting daily and I started him on Renew Colon Care (80cfu) - the vomiting has stopped completely. For the first month he got one capsule daily (I worked up to it over a few days) then after one month of daily, we switched to every other day. It's been like a miracle for him.

hugs!!

16. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Dyana}}}

I want to add my vote for Ondansetron to the others'. You don't want to go too long with Ginger's not eating, as you risk hepatic lipidosis.

I'm sorry you think you'd feel out of place here. I don't think anyone else would feel that you were. You've been here since well before I joined, so it doesn't feel right NOT having you here.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sending mega appy and healing vines for our sweet Ginger, and scritches to Jackson.

17. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone :bighug: the vines helped to an extend, but she could use some more today.
    She ate some temptations at bedtime, which is our normal bedtime ritual. She acts hungry and follows me into the kitchen. She ate some of her 1st breakfast with FortiFlora sprinkled on top. So far, she only licked a teeny bit of her second breakfast which was served outside on the porch steps. She did eat some more temptations out on the steps. I have the cats inside now, and I guess I will attempt to find the Ondansetron and to pill her.
    I left a message for the vet to call me back to see if they have an appointment this afternoon, since today is a day off. She also goes running into the bathroom, where I used to feed her "special" food when she had a tummy ache. I tried putting food in there and she ate a little. So, we are making some progress.

18. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think I got 1/4 tablet of Ondansetron into her.
    No call back from the vet yet. It's been a half hour since I called. Instead of putting you on hold they now have an answering machine that says all receptionists are busy right now, leave a message ..

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Have you heard back from the vet yet, Dyana?

21. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Ginger did eat some Friskies Prime Filets around 11:00 this morning and a little more around 1:00pm. That's like 1 tablespoon well smooshed down into her plate, or she will scarf and barf. She likes it too much, and I learned that lesson. o_O

We just got back from the vet.

The doctor thought she does have a tummy ache because she cried when she squeezed on her tummy, and she doesn't normally do that.
    She screamed at the first attempt to take her temperature and struggled so much, she had to call a vet tech in to finish it. 102.2.
    I brought the big hunks of freeze dried salmon I had fed her yesterday or the day before (I can't remember which for sure). The vet thinks it might be that the freeze dried salmon I gave her was too rich for her (I gave both cats a bunch of pieces of it. I asked if one was stuck in her or a bone was and she said she would be retching if that was the case.
    I asked for a urinalysis because Ginger has not been peeing as much, and yesterday I had her outside on a leash and all of a sudden she had to go pee, and when I watched her she didn't seem to go very much if at all. She did it via needle in the side. I will get those results later today. I told her mainly I want to know what her USG is and forgot to ask for one at her yearly checkup on August 1st.
    The doctor wanted to give her a shot of Cerenia and said this would sting and was about to give it when I asked if said is she dehydrated? I had checked yesterday when I was checking her mouth for soreness and I thought her gums were dry, but when I did the pull up the scruff test it popped right back down. The doctor she said she wasn't dehydrated but if asked if I wanted fluids and I nodded, and she said she could then put the Cerenia in the port and it wouldn't sting as much.
    I am to call her back in 24 hours to let her know how Ginger is doing.

Ginger was licking her butt for a long time when we got home, getting all that vaseline off.:confused:

22. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Hmmm. I wonder if it's a UTI. Did the vet say she'd do a culture?

If her tummy was painful, maybe she had gas. Did the vet talk about anything to remedy that? I give Harvey infant gas drops. They help.

I am not all that sold on the freeze dried salmon theory. Has Ginger had it before? I've never had a cat have problems with it, and Cinco ate a lot of it!

So you didn't get any anti-nausea meds to give her? Did the doctor administer the fluids there in the office or send you home with them? I don't know much about putting meds in the port when giving fluids, but I assume it would have to be done when the cat was actually hooked up to the bag, right?

I hope you get some answers with the test results.

Sending more appy and healing vines.

23. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Tricia.
    She has had freeze dried salmon all her life. I bought 6 bags of the 3oz cat treats and 6 bags of the 4oz dog treats which are just freeze dried salmon, nothing more, but bigger pieces. She turned the bag over and it says "formulated as a high performance pet treat." and thought they may be too rich for her.

I thought Cerenia was anti-nausea and the shot works for 24 hours, no? Yes the line of fluids was in and flowing when she added the Cerenia. She also got some Ondansetron this morning, and I have more of that leftover from J.D., so it's old.

She called me a few minutes ago and said her urine was all good and no signs of infection. She said her USG was off the charts high and so super concentrated. Me and Ginger were outside having some quality time on the lawn when she called. Ginger ate some treats while out there. When we came back in, she I put some treats in her food bowls with a little food left over from this afternoon and she was working on shining them up.

She has been in the linen closet all day and I had to pry her out to take a walk with me.

I guess USG super concentrated is good? She hasn't gone pee yet, since she got the fluids 4 hours ago. She is heading to the litter box now. I hope she is going to pee.

24. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

She peed.
    I went to the grocery store and bought some Fancy Feast dry food. I am hoping she will eat that, although she is on the bed now, and Jackson is in the dining room and just finished his bowl of dry food and is now working on Ginger's.

25. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Lotsa vines for Ginger. We give ondansetron, 1 mg, BID, and Cernenia pill, 4 mg, 4 times per week, to Tillie.
    Liz

Dyana likes this.
  26. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks Liz. The vet says she should be better in 24 hours. I probably have some Cerenia. I do, I just found 1 tablet from 2014.

She ate some Fancy Feast dry food while laying in my bed, just still not eating her normal amount.

27. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

(((Dyana)))
    I am so glad Ginger is eating a little better today.
    Sending more eating vines.

28. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Healthy appy vines to Ginger!

29. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you. Please keep sending them. I haven't been able to get her to eat anything since yesterday morning.

30. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I'm glad she's eating a little. If the Cerenia were going to help, it would have done so by now. You can try the Ondansetron. As Liz said, it's safe to give both together, or to overlap them.

If she doesn't start eating more soon, you may need to think about assist feeding. I know you're a pro at it, after all the time you spent feeding J.D. We don't want her to get hepatic lipidosis.

Was pancreatitis mentioned as a possibility? I know a lot of vets say a cat would be throwing up if they had it, but Minka rarely threw up, even in the middle of a bad flare.

I hope Ginger is feeling better soon. I know how worried you are.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  31. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.