Glargine dosage question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Zebib, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Zebib

Zebib New Member

Hi, I just found out that there was a Lantus forum too. I have started transitioning my cat from Caninsulin (4.5U) to Glargine (3U) yesterday. Should I be worried that this is a high dosage to start with? The vet suggested it based on her weight. I have posted a spreadsheet with both, Caninsulin and Glargine. Some guidance would be appreciated. I did read the yellow sticky note about the dosage but, if possible, I would appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

Panic likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, that was a highish dose to start, for the Caninsulin too. My girl started at one unit and weighed just under 6 kg, but was on an all low carb diet. What are you feeding now? And how much?

3. Zebib

Zebib New Member

Urru is diabetic since 2009. Back then, we started at 1 unit, she reached 4.5 units over the years. She was at 3units for many years. I am feeding no grain dry food (Young Again, Zero Mature and Orijen Regional Red, she eats maximum 1 spoon per day), Canned Purina Essential care Senior Formula mixed with Wellness Turkey no grain, 85g twice a day. She has free access to this food during the day, she eats small meals every hour or so.
    Can someone help me?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Reason for edit: Help needed
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's a little too soon to know what the Lantus is going to do. It takes 5-7 days for the depot to fill and show you how the 3U dose is going to work.

In the meantime, if you can get an extra test or two in during the day, that'll only help and you need to always get at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle.

Half of what's going on happens on the PM cycle so it's important to get tests then too.

5. Zebib

Zebib New Member

Ok, will do the before bed test and extra tests during the day. Thank you very much.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

Since my girl likes to dive late at night (PMPS +9 or so) I try (although hasn't been working lately) to make sure I grab a few late night/early morning tests as well and fill in any blank spots on the spreadsheet. It's been very helpful. Other than that, the ladies here are great at offering sound advice when starting on the new insulin.

Zebib likes this.