glucometer blues-

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Nancy and Cody, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Just thought I better let my high dose gang know what else is going on with us so I copied this from health... It may help with any dose advice I'm getting. the short of it - add about 100 points to all Cody's numbers :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    and yes we went up to 5 today.

I dont even know what to say...glucometer blues
    by Nancy and Cody » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:49 pm

I've been getting surprisingly flat numbers lately so I decided to pull some old meters out of the drawer and compare. These are all from the same spot within 3 minutes of each other.

Freestyle Freedom 269 this is what I like to use because it uses very little blood
    Ascensia Breeze 432 strips might be close to expiration
    One touch Mini 378

I have been testing for years from a cat who couldn't care less, and who bleeds like a champ, so WTH...
    Nancy & Cody (diagnosed 07) & Tenderfoot (civie)
    Cody's spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html
    Cody's profile http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg2p4g7h_2hd8kktf2

Nancy and Cody

Re: I dont even know what to say...glucometer blues
    by Nancy and Cody » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:27 am

This morning's prefood, preshot, all from the SAME DROP of blood:
    Freestyle 258
    one touch mini 348
    ascensia breeze 407

Years ago, after I spent $70 on the Freestyle, I read here that it gave lower readings at higher sugar levels.

I quess so.... 100 points?

Well if that is true I'm a sad bean. We've been cruising along thinking we were below 300. Sometimes I just want to give up.

2. Nancy and Cody

1) Re glucometer issues, Vet said don't panic, let's get a fructosamine and see how that compares.... ($$)
    2) She doesn't think the Prozinc was damaged from the "drop testing" its pretty stable.
    3) Acro test: She took the print out and about the Michigan testing lab and is going to see if she can get it cheaper. She seemed interested. She said the lab they use in Texas told her 2 weeks for results, so I think they take their cut, and send it off again, but then I tend to be suspicious.

She really is a good person, its just hard not to get frustrated with all this when you read about kitties going OTJ. It may be time for a break.

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Ahh texas.. this lab is MSU and bloods in by Wednesday are usually finalized by Friday or Monday of any given week. Don't get frustrated, we're all in this Lifer Boat too, peddling as hard as we can and hoping our kitties get the OTJ chance. We just have a lesser chance is all. The big goal here is to make sure they are feeling good. If they feel good, it's all worth it, isn't it? :)

(((((hugs))))) I know how you feel, and I lack the proper words to help you.

RE Meters.. don't drive yourself crazy with them. They all are allowed up to 20% difference per human standards and as the numbers go higher, the further they are likely to be off from each other. The lower the bg's go towards the 100s, the more likely they are accurate. Just use the same meter all the time and you'll save yourself a lot of stress LOL You've got a good meter in both the FS and the OTU. I don't like the ascensia just because I error'd a lot of strips so I threw it out. Not sure if it's "good" but haven't really heard anything bad about it. OTU, Freestyle, Relion and Accuchecks are all renowned for accuracy. I would personally avoid anything like truetrack or other "true" brands found in drugstores, they can be flaky.

I like your vet :)

4. Nancy and Cody

Thanks...

for letting me vent
    and for the support

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

MSU is the only lab in North America that does the IGF-1 acromegaly test. Vets from Canada even send it to Michigan.

So yes - if the quote was from a lab in Texas - they would send the sample on to Michigan, and take their cut. Really, the test should only cost you about $100 or so. (the lab charges $44 and your vet needs to take the sample and cold-ship it overnight)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.