? Glucose Test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Colette & Noodles, Dec 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colette & Noodles

Colette & Noodles Member

I've tried a glucose test today, after I caught Noodles eating birdseed, and a peanut shell earlier. It wouldn't work, so I tried it without the safety and I'm gutted that it went right through. Please tell me that I'm not the only one this has happened to. She's fine, I made a big fuss of her, and I'm waiting for the vet to call back. The alpha trak reading was 17.4. I feel terrible about it though :(

2. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

You are definitely not the first person to accidentally pierce your cat's ear! Don't worry, it will heal fast. I pierced so many ears at the rescue by accident when I was learning.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, no you are not the only one who has done this, we have all accidentally pierced our cat's ears, most of us more than once!

Just a poke should heal up just fine, I'd just put a little antibiotic ointment (neosporin/polysporin or similar) on it and not use that ear for tests for a day or two. The vet shouldn't need to get involved unless there's a big tear, and even then it'd mostly be just for cosmetics, really. She'll be fine, don't worry!

Critter Mom and phakewishard like this.
  4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hi. Please Take a deep breath, birdseeds and peanuts themselves just contain healthy fats and protein and no glucose or carbs.

It is the shells that are totally indigestable, even if cats stomach acid is super sour no more than 1 pH, and will need to be passed out through all the intestines without blockage.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Been there. Done that. Bought many t-shirts.

Think of how many times cats' ears get scratched or pierced during cat fights. Their ears are resilient and don't have as many nerve endings as you think they do.

6. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I've done that too.. as late as today.
    It happens. And it won't be the last time either. Just take a deep breath :bighug::bighug:

7. Colette & Noodles

Colette & Noodles Member

Thank you everyone, that's so reassuring! The vet was getting back to me about her hunger. Peanuts, I can just about understand, but eating the shell was not good! She's to get a little more food, so I hope that will help.

She's been a nightmare trying to get blood, but I hope to get her for a glucose curve again after Christmas.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Unregulated diabetic cats cannot process the nutrients in their food properly. Feed her more. A main mail at shot time and snacks throughout, especially during the first half of the cycle.

Some people have success testing the paw pad rather than the ear.
    There is a video link in this old thread.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-the-paw-pads.101745/

Critter Mom and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  9. Colette & Noodles

Colette & Noodles Member

Thanks, I was in two minds about trying her pads, as she hates her paws being touched too, and rarely rolls over any more. Even if I tested her before food, I don't know what to do with the injection. The vet said to keep her on 1.5 units twice a day, he didn't want it increased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.