Going low overnight?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jamesgatto, Sep 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamesgatto

Jamesgatto Member

2 mornings im a row now James was testing lower then normal would that be caused by him going to low over night?

If I'm not giving him his shot this morning am I able to move up the dose to any time this evening so I can do multiple PM tests to see what's going on?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Some cats do seem to drop into lower numbers during the PM cycle. Rather than skipping, had you given any thought to stalling? If you stall, you do not feed. your cat. You want to test every 20 - 30 min to see if numbers are rising. It looks like you tested at +1 yesterday and numbers had risen. You would have been able to shoot. The downside of stalling is that you end up being off schedule and your next shot is due 12-hours later. You would need to gradually move the shot time back.

Since you did skip. you can move James' shot time without any problem.

Can you also check your spreadsheet? I think you meant to list today ad 9/18 but you have two 9/17 dates.

3. Jamesgatto

Jamesgatto Member

Thank you that is what I will do next time.

I fixed the sheet as well

The scheduling with diabetes is so hard. Today and yesterday I wasn't home all morning to monitor so I paniced and didn't shoot.

Having to be home every 12 hours and being available to monitor if his numbers are weird is so daunting. Most days its fine and I love this cat so I make it work, but having a life doesn't seem as doable.

4. Jamesgatto

Jamesgatto Member

And of course tonight is the first time I had a definite fur shot.

Tomorrow is a new day, feeling guilty tonight though.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I suspect there isn't a person here who hasn't given a fur shot!

I was Gabby's sole caregiver. It was very challenging at times to be working full time and orienting my schedule around her needs. I'm not a morning person but she had an early nadir and was prone to dramatic drops. Our shot time was 5:00 so I could get a couple of tests in before I left for work to insure she wasn't crashing. I also worked close enough that if I was feeling paranoid, I could race home at lunchtime. A lot of my friends were cat parents so they u understood if I wanted to stop home and check on Gabby when we were out for the evening or if I cancelled plans. If the people you care about don't understand, I would simply ask what they would do if this were a child.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

My Dre needed 24 hour care for 2 years before he passed and it was challenging but what I would do for just 1 more day with him....priceless moments in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.