Going to the vet this week-long

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by FurballLover, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Hello PZI Land!! Hope everyone is doing well--spring is almost here and its gonna be warm (50+) this week:)
    Yes, I'm in a good mood--there were a few minutes of sunshine today and the temp was in the mid 40's (felt like a heatwave after a long, dreary winter)

My civie Molly is going in for her annual checkup fri and Charlie is riding along so I can show off his great improvements. I'm going to take along his 'test kit' so I can show our vet how easy it is and hopefully get her to see how much of a difference it has made with his fd. Wish me luck in converting a vet!!

Molly had two teeth extracted last feb (the big ones behind her upper fangs), I'm worried she's gonna need more--her breath is always stinky. She won't let me brush her teeth--she's a typical tortie who doesn't like to be handled. I almost laughed in the vet tech's face the last time we were there and she tried to 'show' us how to do it. Molly does not cooperate.
    After her extraction last year--one of the vets almost lost an arm trying to get her out of the recovery cage and back into her carrier. He had to use a blanket to 'cover and scoop' her and then she went into the carrier--blanket and all. I had to return the blanket later that day 'cause the growls and hisses were enough to keep us all from reaching into that carrier to remove it. Yes, this is the same kitty who almost puked on my head once (see this mornings "charming" thread from sarah & buzz) glad to know I've won the prize in that category. :twisted: This is also the cat who I have a 94% chance of being murdered in my sleep by. (via online quiz sent to me by DH). :eek: I hope she never develops diabetes--can't imagine the amount I would spend on neosporin & band-aids trying to test her (yes, those supplies would be for me!)
    She really can be a sweetie--but mostly only to DH. At night, after dinner, he will lay on the sofa and she will climb up on his chest and give the loudest purrs, the biggest niches, and look at him like he's a greek god! As for the rest of us, well she 'tolerates' our existence!
    Molly will be 10yrs old later this month, and except for the dental issues--she's in great shape, super playful, silky soft fur, bright eyes!
    I'm going to be taking a lot of the vet's time---again---so I want to have a list of important questions, info, etc. at the ready. We will also be getting an estimate on surgery for the drooler (she has 'fat lumps' non-malignant, but one is in her armpit and causing discomfort). I wanted to have her surgery done in feb, but Charlie's hypo er visit took the budgeted money--Drooler said she didn't mind waiting a little longer, she loves her buddy.
    So anyway, I'm printing out a copy of "Convert a Vet" to give to her, in addition to C's SS, and I was wondering if there is any other info that might sway her towards hometesting? If I had not been so persistent, and went ahead with it on my own (and with the help of everyone on fdmb), big C would still be receiving too much insulin and eating kibble, instead of hangin' out at the falls for the last 5 weeks! I know my vet is big on nutrition (I think it was her field of study before vet medicine), so I was wondering if there is any relevant study info about low carb food that I can give her?
    Are there any other questions I should have her answer about C's care for now? He's doing great (keep your paws crossed he continues on this track). After his near death experience in jan, I'm learning to be much more proactive in his care. Plus, all the info I've learned in the last few weeks on this board have made me a little paranoid about complications. :( I just want to do what's best for the big guy, and hopefully for others who come along.
    Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post! I'm finally feeling better after a week long battle with the flu, and I guess I have some extra energy tonight!! (I should probably clean--but it will keep another day!)

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I don't have any advice, but now I'm dying to take the online quiz & see what my odds are of being murdered in my sleep by one of my (I have 2!) torties!!!

Glad you are feeling better - that flu is h*ll!

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

When you mentioned that your vet is big on nutrition, of course it immediately made me think of Dr. Lisa, who is big on that also. Have you read her site about switching to low carb food? I think you were probably steered to it when you first arrived, as most people are. If not, it can be found here: http://www.catinfo.org It has many excellent facts and scientific reasoning, and of course it's written by a vet, which should make your vet take it more seriously. ;)

Additionally, Dr. Lisa has written about two of her tough cases in the switch to low carb canned diet. I found the stories fascinating and a real tribute to just what the proper diet can do for a kitty. They are linked there on the cat info site, but here is the direct link: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.h ... d_Bennie__

As far as hometesting, Charlie's hypo episode should be enough to convince her that home testing is needed. There are so many other stories like that here, you could probably fill up a book. I have one, too, and the short of it is this: Buzz's first day on insulin and vet recommended 3u SID. I had done a little bit of reading on this site already and I knew that insulin is supposed to be dosed BID but I was a novice still and I thought I would just give my vet a chance. I mean, she's in the white coat, maybe SID really was okay. I shake my head at myself now, but back then, I was scared and overwhelmed and wanted to trust the doctor. Anyway, luckily for us we were home testing (very sporadically and oftentimes unsuccessfully) because I allowed the vet to give 3u at the office. We went home and I tested her 4 hours later. She was at 39. Not ONE symptom of hypo (nor has she ever shown a symptom since). If I hadn't tested her, she would most likely be dead. We rushed her back to the vet and by the time we got there she was 81. They gave her some Nutrical and all was well. And like I said, there are so many stories like that here.

I just don't understand why a doctor would be against something that people do on their own, in their own home, on their own time, that is LIFESAVING for these patients. I understand not knowing much about it, not being very up to date on FD (I think it's a shame but I get it), but for a DOCTOR to actually be AGAINST something that saves lives...it baffles the mind. I wonder if a lot of vets just know their patients' beans and figure people aren't going to want to do that and don't want to argue about it with them, or if it's financially motivated (my vet charges $18.50 for a BG test and wanted us to bring Buzz in every week, not to mention the $116 for a fructosamine test) or what.

Molly sounds like a character, that's for sure. ;) And I wanted to find out if my tortie is going to kill me. So I found the quiz online here: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1jCv1D/ww ... z/cat_kill

It tells me that I only have a 76% chance of being killed by Buzz, so that's a relief. Poor Joanna, the odds are really stacked against her with 2 torties. Let us know your results, Joanna! ;)

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I think sometimes doctors don't trust us to do the right thing. My vet was really scared I'd shoot the wrong amount with the U-100 syringes, was worried I would overtest (which at times I did), and worried I would over-obsess with the dose and just make things worse (which at times I did). She is the one who turned me on to home testing though, but I can see how they might find it worrisome, or opening a can of worms, when in their minds perhaps they think they already have protocols & processes that work just fine (Bix was considered "difficult to regulate" [turns out that was the dry food.... arghhhh] that's why home testing came up, since we couldn't get things under control after 5 months of trying w/o hometesting).

One of the best arguments I can think of is that with human diabetics it is STANDARD that people would learn to hometest - doesn't matter if they are reluctant, not too bright, don't follow instructions well, whatever, that's too bad, the humans have to do it anyway. So if one is willing to take on that extra job with your cat, why not? Doesn't mean the vet has to push it on other clients if they don't want to go that far, but heck, why stop someone from doing it? (Not to say that your vet wants you to stop, but I think that came up with someone else recently, and I'm already on my soapbox & not quite ready to step down yet! :lol: ).

Ok, more importantly: QUIZ RESULTS!!!!! 78% chance I will be gone by morning... uh oh!!!

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Sarah-
    Thanks for the links, I don't know why I didn't think to go to Dr Lisa's site--perfect! Printed it out and will give it to the vet.
    So glad you found the quiz! Molly:93% Charlie:72%--guess I'll have to watch my step!! Also found out only 53% of my body can be recycled after I kick:(

Joanna-
    I remember talking to the vet about hometesting when C was first dx, and she had some arguments against it that weren't completely unfounded. She said that she doubted many people would take the time/or be successful testing for various reasons, and that the meters, in her experience, are up to 30% off in the results. She talked about how they tested with a meter, and then with an IV sample in her office once, and she didn't like the variation. I also wonder if vets aren't 'afraid' people might make too big adjustments on their own and hurt the kitties. But, I think she might see that even though the numbers aren't exactly perfect--at least we have a close idea of what their levels are. For example, Big C has been testing around 62 the last few days. If his #'s are actually 30% higher--he is still only at 80.6--well within the 'no shoot' & regulated range.

I have to say that I love my vets, they are wonderful, and caring. Our primary vet cried with us when we had to put down my brother's dog. It was a horrible incident where the dog was only 2, and a neighbor had put antifreeze out in his ditch to kill the raccoons that were getting into his garbage. (outrageously dangerous & illegal in IL). We didn't realize in time what had happened, and had to end her suffering. Our vet was with us through the whole, horrible incident, and even took a paw caste of the wonderful puppy for us to keep as a memento of such a sweet life that was taken far too early. (not to mention the dog was a gift from a favorite aunt who had passed from cancer).
    I love my vets, they are caring and compassionate. She recently remodeled, and expanded the practice and they have state of the art facilities. I love that there are separate suites for droolers and kitties. Their techs are gentle, friendly, and caring; and even the woman in charge of the grooming & boarding wing is fantastic. I am loyal to them for many reasons which is why I am hoping to show her there are newer and better ways to deal with fd. I am respectful that she is the professional who knows far more about vet medicine than I ever will, but am hoping to show her that it can work and help treat the sugarcats in a much better manner!! Wish me luck tomorrow!

6. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I know that personally my vet was not keen on home testing for the very reason you list - they were afraid I would make wrong dosage choices and try to do it all on my own. The last sugar kitty patient they had died because his mom tried to do this, so they were worried. I just did it anyway, and I bring in my spread sheet with me to every visit for them, and they have come to absolutely love it. As long as they learn that you are going to work with them, there is usually no longer a problem.

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Jen, your vet(s) sound(s) wonderful! I am glad you have found such a good place, and hopefully she will see that you are being cautious and doing your research instead of just blindly shooting and making dosing decisions. :) That is really sad about your brother's dog. :( Someone here (I think it might have been Victoria) said once that when choosing or deciding to keep a vet, one of the things you have to think about is whether or not you would be comfortable saying goodbye to your pet with that vet. And that is sad to think about, but also true. If you are comfortable with that, you know that it's because you feel your vet truly cares about your baby and about you.

Joanna, I hope you made it through the night! Did you wake up to anyone watching you, perhaps plotting? :)

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Well, there was a kitty on the pillow this morning (Noora, civvie), but since my propane ran out at 5am (hate it when that happens!!! I only have a small tank so I always push it to the limit) I was happy to have the extra warmth!!!

I like that note about having a vet you would want there with you when you say goodbye. That's what I love most about my vet - not only knowing that she is good with the cats and doesn't stress them any more than necessary, but also that she has been an amazing sounding board when I have had to make euthanasia decisions (3 with her :sad: ), helping me to see my choices more clearly and make decisions that I feel comfortable with. Stuff like that is invaluable, and if we tussle a little over the diabetes plan now and then, so be it.

Jen, hope things go well tomorrow, and Molly's teeth pass the test!!! We will all want to know how Charlie's showing off goes - I hope he enjoys it, but I'm suspecting not.... cats! ohmygod_smile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.