? Green numbers? No insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becki and sox, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hey have any of you guys had problems with your cat sicking up bile?

Sox has sicked up bile now 3 times in the past 4 hours.

His appetite still seems ok his bloods are 4.4 so will not be giving his shot tonight.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think it will depend on what his PMPS number is when the time rolls around. And if he's continued to be ill between now and then. If he's eating and keeping the food in, then I would be inclined to give him the dose. You might try something milder for him to eat until he feels better - plain meat baby food is a good choice for an upset tummy. Just make sure it's just meat and broth - no onions or garlic.

3. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Djamila just edited last post his bloods were 4.4

I've just fed him he's eating but not his usual appetite he's left food in his bowl which is not normal for himself. Maybe due to been sick maybe though.

Were going out in the next half hour which is why I was thinking about skipping shot as were not here to watch him.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  4. Djamila

Sorry I left for a bit. Skipping on that PMPS was absolutely the right decision. I hope Sox feels better soon!

5. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

@Djamila that's no problem still all enjoying our Christmas celebrations.

Yeah I thought best to. I'm hoping he's eaten by the time we get home. Me too hope he feels better can't think what would make him be sick so many times but fingers crossed he's stopped now.

6. Djamila

Sometimes kitties get upset stomachs just like we do. Hopefully it's nothing more than that.

7. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Fingers crossed :)

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sending vines and hoping Sox feels better tonight! I wouldn't get too worried about it unless it persists...as Djamila said our kitties can get upset tummies sometimes for whatever reason. Hopefully Sox gets some rest and it passes ASAP!

Becki and sox likes this.
  9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Becki, how is Sox doing now? Hope he's OK. :bighug:

10. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I came down stairs to a few patches of bile sick again this morning.
    He's still eating his food but not asmuch appetite as normal.

Again I didn't shoot (4.7 reading) as no one there to watch him as were back to work today. Although hubby did message me to say food has been kept down and there's no more sick.

Am I doing the right thing with not giving insulin just worried he's not getting it or should he be ok as he's in the greens anyway?

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t give insulin on such a low number for sure. If he eats and doesn’t continue getting sick I’d just keep an eye on things. If he won’t eat tonight or is still getting sick I’d probably take him in to get checked by the vet.

Either way I’d check for ketones just to be sure. They’re not as likely on low numbers but it can happen so it’s best to stay on top of things.

12. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

So if I keep getting the greens I'm getting just monitor but with out the insulin?

No sick so far today so looking good he kept breakfast and lunch down before hubby went out and ate both fine.
    Other than that he seems fine in him self.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  13. Djamila

Yes, you want to keep skipping the shots unless you see something in the mid-blues. I would say 120, but since he's still sick, I'd be a little extra cautious. And I agree with Rachel, if he is'nt eating better by tonight I think it's time for a vet visit. Throwing up for a day isn't all that unusual, but throwing up for two days is a little concerning. Hopefully DH's report will just continue and Sox is back on the mend.

14. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Great thank you that gives me a rough idea of where to aim.

Well apparently he ate his lunch time food really quick and left no trace of food :D which sounds like usual Sox lol so fingers crossed it might have just been a 24hr thing

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Great news!!

16. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Food seems all good so far. And Sox just tested at 5.8 so still relatively low.
    I'm going with the no shoot under the 120 as djamila recommended.
    So again no shot tonight. Will see how his BG is in the morning.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  17. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Also Will I find that as Sox's BG settles and gets lower will he become less hungry and not eat as much?

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yeah generally that is what happens. They're able to use the food better and therefore, they aren't nearly as ravenous.

19. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That generally happens. If he's below his ideal weight let him eat what he wants in many small meals or by grazing.

20. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Well he's not seemed as hungry the last 2 days so that could correspond with his lower numbers maybe.