Guess we did our first curve a day early.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Lyss, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Lyss

Lyss Member

I was planning on doing a curve tomorrow, but ended up doing one today because of he had some very encouraging numbers and was a pretty willing participant.

I was concerned about his high preshot numbers and someone in a Facebook group thinks he's bouncing so I'm dropping him to .75u for a few days and then redoing the curve to see if it helps at their suggestion. I was too busy almost burning dinner to preshot test for his pm shot, but I'll be checking again in about another hour.

Can I get some feedback on his numbers?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IUTVRJGSocTLmPUzPnzqCx1j_EE/edit?usp=drivesdk

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I’ll tag Linda for you to get her feedback!

@MrWorfMen's Mom

One of the nice things with Vetsulin is that you do have some leeway to change the dose and see how it’s affecting the BG much faster than the depot insulins like lantus. When I first started testing Sophie, she was getting high readings, so I dropped the dose and saw lower numbers fairly quickly, which let me know that dose was working better

3. Lyss

Lyss Member

Oh thank you! I meant to tag her and completely dropped that ball.

It's hard for me to believe that a quarter unit can change things so drastically, it's such a small amount. Lol

I'm hoping we have more even numbers by the weekend, I'll be doing a few extra tests Tuesday to see if there's any signs of improvement.

4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Oh it definitely can! If you look at Sophie’s spreadsheet, it made a huge difference. That’s why a lot of the recommendations are to change doses in 0.25 units, as it really can be the difference in an ideal dose or not

5. Lyss

Lyss Member

Look at her off insulin!!!! What a girl!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

6. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Two more days until it’s official, so here’s hoping! It is less common with vetsulin, but possible! I think if I would have been home testing from the beginning and got the ideal dose right, it would have happened much earlier, so hopefully you being so proactive from the get go will really help Pan out!

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Next time you are burning dinner....I suggest you turn off the burner, put out the fire, and then pre-shot test Pan even if it means his test and shot will be delayed a bit.:woot: Shooting when you have no idea of BG level is not safe.;)

I agree it's quite possible that some of the high numbers are from bouncing which can happen when BG drops a lot, drops fast or drops to levels kitty has become unfamiliar with. Sometimes dropping the dose and easing kitty's BG down can be effective but sometimes you need to increase the dose and as kitty gets used to the lower BGs, the pre-shot numbers come down with it. It's a bit hard to see what is happening based on the little bit of data you have right now but I don't think I would have decreased the dose at this point. While Pan got into the blues today, he is right on the edge.

A curve is testing every 2 hours for 12 hours or every 3 hours for 18 hours. We need to see what the whole cycle is doing. Today's testing is more like a partial curve. It's up to you if you want to try the 0.75u for a couple of days but I wouldn't hold the dose too long if his numbers don't improve because that can lead to glucose toxicity and make it harder to get the numbers down. Let's see what the curve on Tuesday brings. You'll have more readings to see what he's up to.

8. Lyss

Lyss Member

No, you're right, I absolutely made the wrong call there. But I am human and still getting a handle on this, and learning as I go.

I decided to hold at .75 for a few days, and this morning his preshot number was the lowest it's been. He's also still declining at +6, or just started going back up. I feel like he's doing better today than previous day's numbers wise. I'll take a slow steady decline over a heavy drop any day.

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

I agree today's numbers do look a little better but it's hard to say if it's all dose change or perhaps a combination of dose and a bounce from that blue reading the other day. I'd hold the 0.75u for another day or two if numbers keep coming down a bit or at least stay steady and then re-evaluate. :)

10. Lyss

Lyss Member

That's our plan. Until Sunday he's basically only going to get preshot tests to give his poor ears a rest. So I'm going to keep him at .75 until then unless by some miracle he ends up below the no shot threshold.

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Please don't assume it's safe to stop testing mid cycle. It's not. You need to know how low the 0.75u dose is taking Pan and right now he may still be bouncing a little which means you may NOT be seeing the full effect of the dose yet. You don't have to test multiple times as long as BG is in good range but getting at least one mid cycle test each cycle between +3 and +6 will help keep Pan safe.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  12. Lyss

Lyss Member

Unfortunately on days I work I'm not home to do the tests during that time. Sunday is my next day off and he'll get a few more tests during the day, but we're gonna do another curve Monday to see how removing his kibble completely goes. His am preshot numbers have been a little high since his curve, but his pm preshot numbers are down almost 200 points since we started testing so he may still be bouncing a little but I think he's starting to level out some.

I work 9-10 hour days 4 days a week so there's not a lot I can do at the moment.

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's fine but if you can grab an extra test before you leave for work or when you get home, it helps. The more data you get the better. At the very least, try to get a test before you go to bed at night or if you get up to use the washroom at night, test then. The lower BG at night may be from lower numbers during the cycle than you think.