? Hair Ball Remedy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi if anyone uses Hair Ball Remedies can you tell me which brands do you use, and do they come sugar free so it's OK to give to our kitties. I also guess Petroleum and petrolatum-free . I used to use Richards Organics but stopped buying it because it pours out like liquid, don't know what they did to it, also have read many reviews from people who have said the same thing Thanks everyone

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I brush my cat regularly to cut down on the number of hairballs. A little bit of brushing, a couple of minutes in the morning, helps a lot. She still grooms herself plenty, fanatical about keeping herself clean. So, she does hack up a hairball on occasion.

Tried egg lecithin capsules. Didn't help. Tried coconut oil. Didn't help. Laxatone is high in sugars. No good for diabetic cats. Richard's Organics first ingredient is Fructose (a kind of sugar).

You said no petroleum, would you tell us why?

You might try some petroleum jelly (also called white petrolatum or Vaseline ). It's a mix of mineral oils and waxes, nothing to do with crude oil which then gets refined into gasoline and such to run our cars.

You could try a little oil or butter. Any kind of oil.

Try some play time to re-direct any excessive grooming activities.

The Richards' Organics contains no organic ingredients. That is simply a trademarked marketing name. Here is what it has in it: Soybean oil & hydrogenated vegetable oil, dextrose. Fructose, cod liver oil. Fish oil, flaxseed oil, tuna flavoring. Lecithin, vitamin. E, rosemary extract, silica. First on the list is Fructose, a kind of sugar.

If you look at Laxatone ingredients, there are a lot of sugars in there in the inactive ingredients list, so would not be good for a diabetic cat. Here are the ingredients, copied from their website.
    Ingredients in Laxatone
    Active Ingredients:
    White Petrolatum USP, Soybean Oil (providing Omega 3, 6 & 9 Fatty Acids), Light Mineral Oil
    Inactive Ingredients:
    Cane Molasses, Corn Syrup, Gelatin By-Products, Malt Syrup, Maple Flavor, Sodium Benzoate, Water.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Jennifer R. likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Jennifer R. likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Deb the only reason I said no petroleum is because I see some say that so I assumed that was good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.