Happy's Insulin journey

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Elizabeth.Conder, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Elizabeth.Conder

Elizabeth.Conder New Member

Happy is 15 years old this year and has lived a very healthy life up to this point with only one UTI as any major health issue. She's always been plump at about 13 lbs but with work, I got her down to 11.5 and was content with that weight as she is a good-sized cat. She was diagnosed in late April with numbers in the 400s. Started on prozinc. She had a horrible hypo event shortly after starting insulin. It was my fault and still bothers me but she made it and is doing great now. I dropped her to 1 unit BID and started home testing. After little improvement, I increased her dose to 1.5 units BID and around this time moved to fancy feast pates which as it turns out is one of the very few wet foods Happy actually likes. This produced a huge change and I dropped her dosage back to 1 unit. Even at that, her numbers would drop quite low after a dose so we tried giving her a couple of days with no insulin but her numbers went right back up. So I dropped her dose to 0.5 above 200 and with caution would give her about .25 on days that her BG was between 160-200. Those days I checked her blood sugar frequently to make sure she did not go hypo again. After about 2 weeks of low doses and skipped doses her BG made a huge change. We are just under a week with no insulin. Her highest BG before eating has been 134. But it has slowly gotten lower than that. She is now happy to eat just 2-3 cans a day instead of the 4+ she had been when on insulin. She is no longer drinking an exorbitant amount and plays so much more. So I am getting hopeful that she may be considering remission if she holds steady, however is it to early for that? I have noticed my last reading before bed has been quite low. As in the 50s or very low 60s. Without getting insulin she is not technically going hypo though correct? I use the alpha track typically but have on occasion run out of strips so used the relion prime then which I note on my spreadsheet
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UO6cj_P0yjWJLEUsYan33CUrnSpsnwqEQCkXCyrLLXY/edit?usp=sharing