Harley's IAA test - 66%

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Harley and Pattie, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Harley's test came back at 66%. The vet explained (as others on the board had already told me), that anything below 20% was normal. So....once he comes back, I will need to explore this. I know the the primary vet does not feel this changes anything, just that I know what is going on. I also know many people on the board feel more insulin is the way to go.

I am so confused!!!! Can someone shed some light?

Is there any documentation that I can give to my vet to support higher doses. I have read everything here, but I do not see concrete things on IAA. To be perfectly honest, I don't want to deal with this now. I want my guy out of the hospital and back at home before I begin this new venture.

Pattie
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31084

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

You don't need to deal with the IAA yet - just get your baby home. When you can deal with it, send Sharyn/Fiona a PM - I think she's done the most research on IAA. You'll also want to look at the spreadsheets for Sharyn/Fiona, Jan/Buddy, and Sandy/BK (BK had IAA and actually went into remission!). Gayle's Ollie has/had IAA, but as an acro, his ss won't be that useful.

I think Sharyn already gave you the link to Fiona's ss. Here is a link to BK's ss as well as his OTJ party (figured it might cheer you up to know that there is hope).

OTJ Party: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1887186
    SS: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... P-SWuUD1Ew

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Don`t worry about the IAA right now; you will just need to give more insulin and it will be more like just a number. There`s info on IAA, but first Harley needs to get the IBD issues sorted out.
    If you take a look at Oliver's ss, you will see that we had high numbers and his dose kept going up and we used quite a bit of R along with Levemir. I believe that we were aggressive to the point that we smashed that IAA issue and all of a sudden, we did not need the R and we were left with just the acro.
    Right now, just focus on getting Harley back up on his paws and the IBD under control.

In a way, your vet is correct - the results don't really change things. Harley needs insulin so you give him as much as needed to get to decent numbers. You will likely dose more aggressively but remember that IAA can well be temporary, so you beat the IAA back and Harley may end up OTJ like others have.

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hi Pattie,
    I'm so sorry to be so late to say hello to you and your Harley. I am hoping that by now your kitty is feeling a bit better. I don't know if you saw any of the info we have in the HI dose sticky at the top. I hope some of it may be of help to you. There isn't much out there on IAA but we try to collect what we can.

I would like to add you and Harley to the list of names we keep on the sticky if that's ok with you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.