Hartz Delectables Pate snack Tuna and Chicken

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mikey’sDad, Jan 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I discovered these Pate lickables on Chewy and my guy loves them as a treat. I don’t see anything problematic that would increase numbers. But I wanted to check. They are grain free.
    Thoughts. Thanks,
    Tom

ingredients
    Water,Tuna,chicken Natural and Artificial Flavors, Tapioca Starch, Carrraggenum, Extract Color, Tuna Flavor

crude protein 8%
    Crude fat O.1%
    Crude Fiber 1%
    Moisture Max 90%
    Ash 3%

2. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

Hi Tom, as far as I know, the Tapioca Starch is not great and can raise BG. Also, did you mean Carageenan? That is also a carb, but I'm still learning all the effects of this stuff, and apparently carbs can affect cats differently (no cat is the same). If it doesn't spike your kitty's BG, then I guess it's fine for him, but maybe someone else can comment who knows better. Sorting through the food issue is so stressful :eek: I'm dealing with it myself right now. Glad you brought it up.

3. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I googled Tapioca Starch and it can raise BG. His has raised a bit since I used it. I am testing him in an hour and will see. It also said that the carb content is 1.97. But you can’t trust google!
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Lauren and Loki likes this.
  4. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

That’s where I get all messed up, because there are “low carb” foods, but then they will have an ingredient that causes the BG to rise. It’s so frustrating! I thought I could just go by the fact that a food is low carb, but apparently not, I also have to look at all the ingredients. :banghead:

Polly Pitcham likes this.
  5. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I hear ya. My cat does not like wet cat food so I buy 2 kinds of low carb dry and he does well. He will eat a bit of FF pate but he is not happy with it . The whole food thin is frustrating. His number was 185 after 4 hours which is ok for him. He hangs out in the 130 to 230 level with occasional low numbers. He is not going to be a remission guy. I may use up these Delectables sparingly because he loves them

Tom

6. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

I know there is a way to determine carb levels but it is very confusing to my senior brain If anyone can do that based on my information, I would appreciate. I was trying to post the label but the forum will not allow me to post the picture.

I find the logistics of this group archaic and frustrating

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

For the foods that are generally available, this food chart has most of them listed along with their carb counts. It only included canned foods. If you need to get an approximate percentage of carbs for a food that's not listed, you can Google "cat food carb calculator" and there are several on the web. This is the calculator that I use.

Please be aware that if you are using the values much like you listed above which are typically minimum or maximums listed by the manufacturer, the carb amounts will be approximates. The manufacturers typically list the guaranteed analysis values and not the "as fed" amounts. To get the latter, you would have to contact the pet food company.

Lauren and Loki likes this.
  8. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Thanks so much. That Cornell tool you included will be so helpful! I do use Dr Pierson’s chart but snacks are not listed.
    tom:)

9. Lauren and Loki

Lauren and Loki Member

Hi! Can you tell me if we are supposed to go by the “As fed,” “dry matter basis,” or “metabolic energy (ME)” values? What is the difference between these? I’m having a hard time understanding this. And also the Guaranteed Analysis is not any of these??

Weruva lists all three on their site on the same page, good example here:

https://weruva.com/nutrition-landing/bff-play-ni/

Just wondering which I should be looking at? I wish every food site had this info!

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.