Has Vetsulin Changed?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by The Mama, Dec 7, 2018.

1. The Mama

The Mama New Member

I am starting to wonder if there is something different about my recent Vetsulin vials.
    My cat has been on Vetsulin for several years.
    I have had to increase my cats dose from 1 unit to 3 since purchasing the last bottle in October.
    I got this bottle from a local vet and normally I buy it online. I am in the US.
    Does anyone know if it all comes from the same place or if it is mixed by the pharmacy?
    I did notice right away that the white strip of medicine at the bottom when unmixed seemed thinner than I remembered and it expires in Feb 2019. I have not paid any attention to the expected date previously but this seems a bit sooner than expected.
    I wonder if I just have a bad bottle but can't really afford a new on until next month and now I am hesitant to get it from the local vet.
    Her nadir is even later and drops far less on this bottle. Maybe there is something going on with the cat but I just feel like it might be the insulin.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's more likely that your kitty's insulin needs have changed over time. That's very normal. If your insulin is stored and handled properly and is gently mixed before using it should be fine. Buying from your vet shouldn't be a problem if they have fresh stock and store it properly. Vetsulin is a brand name and is manufactured under strict conditions. In the past some of the compounded insulins (Vetsulin isn't one of them) like PZI have had variable potency.

3. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

I am an awful critic of VETSULIN and spend 2-3 times/week on phone with merck/vetsulin techs but have not quit using it yet..Shake..don't shake...VETSULIN is the only suspension to "shake thoroughly" to the best of my research..WHY???They have no answers on unpredictability..FBG of 300 one day..150 the next..nadirs 10 am/pm that change to 2-3 am/pm I have had 10 full nights of sleep since 7/2017 only because I went to visit my daughter one week and to N.O. for 4 days...Poor me..NO POOR SUZIE!!! On 3/2, we started a new way of feeding AFTER the vetsulin injection that seemed to be working to slow down the drastic BG drops but in the meantime over past 3 days...Suzie MIGHT have gotten into a bag of cat food, eaten a dog chew 40 calories X2 over 3 days..and I do not know how long this affects the BG levels. ..I want to go back to Lantus(I think) but just bought 3 more Vetsulin vials. Vetsulin (merck) reps are very careful and disregard any potential of instability. and claim they do not know why Vetsulin needs to be shaken vs other suspensions. Good luck!!
    SS:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AN6D_M3AYT6_kgqbHE7JWo6kSM/edit#gid=811447094