Haven't posted in a while for Logan

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Logan & Sandy, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink Just thought I'd say hello,... haven't posted in a while.. Logan is doing ok,, i guess.. he ran high for a while.. then I changed his dose to a .75F.. verses .75,,, i gave him 75F for like 10 cycles or so.. he still was kinda high,,pinks.. so i went to like .90.. the syringe level smack next to the black line but above it, and i dont know if he just bounced or what,,, but he went to bg59 last nite and that was with giving him 1 tablespoon of reg, wet food twice, then the last time i gave him a teaspoon at +6 and at +7 he was bg99 so i knew I could sleep!
    Its like 1 unit is too high and .75 is too low/almost.
    And today for amps bg349 and at +6 his bg is 326! couldn't test earlier.
    Another thought is suppose I DIDN"T feed him the tablespoon twice and Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 10.16.51 AM.png the teaspoon once last nite,, would he have gone hypo/? if i could have stayed awake,.. i was tempted to doing that... shoot,

Hope you all are doing well.. and Deb are your flowers blooming yet?? ours have begun,. take care sandy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Logan definitely earned himself a dose reduction, with that low of 59. Nice surfing in the greens last night. But looks like he is bouncing off those lows this morning, 3/22/21.

Have you ever considered using calipers to measure the dose? They can help you to measure a more consistent dose. There is a Sticky post about how to do that. Dosing with Calipers

I think you would need to switch to U100 insulin syringes, because all the measurements have only been done with those type of syringes. 3/10 cc, with 1/2 unit markings.

No way to really tell how low Logan would have dropped without food. It's safer to give him a bit of food, to bring up the BG levels when he goes that low.

Life gets busy and then spring comes and the yardwork needs to start up. So perfectly understandable that you have been away for a bit.

p.s. Your tulips are lovely! I have some of the early species crocuses, some snowdrops and some eranthis blooming in my yard. No pics, since I've forgotten to get any yet. WAY too early for tulips to be blooming here, as that will be another 5 weeks or so.

Logan & Sandy likes this.
  3. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink thx.. i haven't remotely thought of trying to measure with calipers..... yeah,. i didn't really want to risk him going so low.. and if i fell asleep... i'd never forgive myself.. i will have to read that sticky.. i'm generally pretty good at the measuring tho.. and if he is at say a skinny 1.0 (.90) having the plunger right smack above the 1.0unit line thats easy (prettymuch) but that dose seems to high for him.. didn't take long for him to almost go hypo on me.. So i guess i'm back to .75.. i have a pretty good eye about measurements being an artist.. but but .. theres always human error. Today he's back to pinks again. everything seems ok tho for him.. he's normal and everything.. but i guess looks can be deceiving.. it is what it is.. and spring is here... and just some of our flowers are coming up from just one of our gardens.take care.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

You may be very good at visualizing the amount of insulin in the insulin syringe. But insulin syringes aren't so good at having the markings on the barrel in the exact same place always. It's why using calipers for dosing, with a cat as sensitive to small dose changes as Logan is, may very well be worth while.

I read somewhere, can't remember which thread exactly, that one syringe manufacturer admitted their syringes could be off by as much as 1/2 a unit.

If you do decide to use the calipers, you'll need the U100 3/10 cc syringes. You would need to multiply the dose you are giving of the U40 concentration of Prozinc by 2.5, in order to draw up the correct amount in the U100 syringe. Conversion chart is here. >>>>>> http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm (the link is in the New to the Group sticky at the top of this forum.)

You still record the amount given as the U40 amount when you record how much of a dose you gave on your SS.

It's always worth checking for bubbles in your syringe too, and overdrawing the syringe slightly, pointing the syringe needle facing up to the ceiling, tapping the barrel of the syringe with a couple of quick finger flicks to move any bubbles up to the top of the syringe, and then twisting the syringe plunger to squeeze out any air.

5. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink thxx deb.. I already have my normal syringes on order from chewy and have a boxx of u40 syringes in drawer with less markings on they syringes.. but not the ones you reccomended.. but I do believe i have calipers.. assuming these are them.. this was my dads.. maybe i could try using these calipers with my syringes..? and when you mentioned about twisting the syringe plunger, i hadn't thought of that.. I do flick the bubbles away with my finger tho, thx. calipers.jpg

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Logan & Sandy likes this.
  7. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@Deb & Wink yes these are old..they could have been inherited from my dad.. or he just bought them.. he passed when i was 12 on new years eve 1970...yes he was a draftsman.. that place harber freight is an hour from my house!.. am really not sure if i want to do an addition step in this process.. but if my kitty continues this path I may.. ideally like most of us i just want him to be regulated.. and then OFF of insulin. but we aren't there yet.. and who knows whats in the cards.. arghh.. today for a while he was in the 100s then ofcourse his numbers shot UP//..and my guess he may be in the latter 300s or 400 for pmps.. but yes he seems quite sensative to the insulin.. we shall see. i just want this process to be simple.. but what i want and what i'm gonna get are two different things... argh.. thxx for the link...

Deb & Wink likes this.