headed towards remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ElizabethAmo, Oct 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Hi-new here, been on insulin a short period of time and diet change made if anyone could look at my spreadsheet and see if you think we may be headed toward remission? Haven't given insulin in about 4 days, I realize numbers aren't exactly euglyemic especially given then are from a Relion "human meter". Any thoughts appreciate!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Elizabeth
    Looking at Amo’s SS he is certainly doing well. But he isn’t quite there yet.
    We recommend, to get a strong remission, that you continue with insulin, going down to smaller amounts until you have him in normal numbers (green).
    Can you give us a bit of information please about Amo?
    What type of food are you feeding him?
    Are you giving him a meal before the dose of insulin and are you feeding him snacks during the day and evening? Cats do much better with several smaller meals.
    I don’t use Prozinc so I’m going to tag @Panic

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Bron. Amos still needs some insulin. We taper the dose down gradually. You've seen some high numbers in less than a week. I'd encourage you to aim for a strongwomen remission and keep Amos on insulin for a while longer.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Another autocorrect gem! :D

Mogs

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Elizabeth,

Don't have anything to add on the advice front, but I'd like to add my welcome to you both, and to say that's one beautiful cat you've got there. :)

Mogs

6. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Amo is a 15yo cat weighs 18#, no active medical problems and no meds. Was on dry W/D for years switched to fancy feast chicken pate (~2% carb) approx 1 month ago prior to initiating insulin. He used to eat several small meals with dry food and auto feeder, now mostly been doing two meals a day as I work and to time with insulin, sometimes if I'm around he'll get a snack mid day or before bed. My concern is safely giving him insulin with preshot numbers <150 especially if I'm not at home I've seen him drop his numbers quite significantly at times in response to insulin, maybe the prozinc working against me here instead of a flatter curve? Thanks for the thoughts and kind words.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would think about giving him Several snacks with the autofeeder They take wet food as well
    as dry.

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'm going to tag @Deb & Wink if she has time for dose suggestions. I don't have much experience suggesting doses for blue and green pre-shots. Six days without insulin and hitting greens is a good sign to me though!

9. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

t
    thank you!

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I wouldn't suggest any insulin for Amo right now. I think you should consider that Amo is on an OTJ trial, started at least 3 days ago (10/12/20) with the good BG ranges he has been getting. Looks like he decided to start the OTJ trial without telling you first!;)

You want to see green BG numbers at both pre-shots.

You want to test at +3 to +4 if you get a blue pre-shot. That will show you if the cat's body is producing insulin on it's own, to counterbalance the food intake.

Here is a writeup on how to do an OTJ trial. The guidelines are generic, and cover all the insulins, so read carefully to find the relevant info for Prozinc.
    OTJ Trial Guidelines (These are the criteria we use when following an OTJ Trial.)

Here are the instructions for an OTJ trial: If on Lantus or Levimir, depot has to drain first before trial starts, about 3 days or 6 cycles. No depot with in and out type insulins (NPH, Vetsulin/Caninsulin, Prozinc). The trial starts when numbers are in the range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL), but under 100 overall... with only occasional readings in the 100 - 120 range. Start the trial on the next green pre shot.

If you are posting in the Lantus/Levimir forum, please start a new thread each day which says ‘[Cat name] OTJ trial Day 1 BG xx’ (where xx is the BG reading for that cycle PM), then day2,3 etc. If you are posting in the Main Forum, we don’t require you or need you to do that separate post for each day. In fact, if you have never posted before over in the Lantus/Levimir forum or use a different insulin, you are fine staying in the Feline Health (Welcome & Main Forum). Or in the specific ISG (Insulin Support Group) for your insulin. We’ll cheer you on!

1. Test at your normal AMPS and PMPS times. Remember, you want a 2 hour fast before those AMPS and PMPS test times. Feed multiple small meals throughout the day as much as possible (small meals are less likely to overwhelm a newly functioning pancreas). The morning test is now called the AMBG. The evening test is now called the PMBG.

2. If your cat is green (0-99 mg/dL human meter, 0-130 mg/dL pet meter, 0-5.5 mmol/L) at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time, just feed small meals and go about your day. If the numbers are blue or higher (100-199 human meter, 130-230 petmeter, 5.5-11 mmol/L), feed a small meal and test again after about 3 hours. Food raises BG's. So if the number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!

3. Your cat may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.

4. After 2 weeks, 14 full days, if everything is looking good, we have a party!

Sometimes, the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support by starting the cat with a tiny dose of insulin again. I had to do that with Wink. We simply start the cat back on a tiny dose of insulin to support the pancreas with healing for a bit longer. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to be safe now then sorry later that you rushed it. With just a little more time we will probably get that strong remission we are looking for.

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  11. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Thank you that was extremely helpful and informative, will keep updating SS and see where we go from here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.