Hello from Grifin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Griffin's Mom, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

I wanted to stop in and say hello to everyone.

Griffin was diagnosed about a year ago and I have just recently discovered that I need to get my head out of the sand where his treatment is concerned. When I did ,I discovered this forum, for which I am extremely thankful for.

Griffin has been on Caninsulin since he was first diagnosed. I thought we should say hello.
    He is currently being transitioned to wet food.

Griffin's Intro Post
    Current Post on changing numbers

Moe

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Great you're here! I posted on your past thread just as you started this one. Welcome to this forum!

3. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

Do I use the main health forum at all any more or just stick to this one?

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

If you have a general question about food brands, other health issues, etc. you can post here or on Health or even both. The Health forum tends to be more general info and with the increased presence there, more likely you'll get lots of input for general stuff. The specific insulin forums are smaller but can provide more "specific" info when it comes to the use of specific insulins as they all have their own unique characteristics. Folks do however discuss more general stuff in the specific forums so I'd say it really depends on how much of an audience you hope/need to find if you have questions other than insulin related.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I noticed that you skipped a shot (and he was low, so that made good sense) and that Griffin then zoomed.
    Once you have more data about how much a given dose drops him, you can begin to develop a sliding scale, that is, adjust the dose based on the pre-shot level along with the data that shows how much he is like to drop per unit.
    When you'll be home to monitor, you can test a lower dose when his pre-shot is around 200 if you're prepared to test around the likely nadir (+3 to +4ish in many cats). Right now, it looks like 2 units drops him around 100 mg/dL.
    Given that you're changing his food, be aware that it could drop his glucose 100-200 mg/dL, so be on alert for him going lower (print out the hypo guide so you'll have the signs and symptoms for reference in a hurry, and have a hypo kit of high carb gravied cat food, Karo syrup, oral syringe, etc.).
    Also see my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some additional assessments to evaluate your cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.