GA HELP! Can someone please help this new member

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

2. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If last dose BEFORE today's was Friday, the depot of insulin has depleted. Hence the high numbers. So you need 3 days of consistent shots to rebuild the depot. He will be getting some but some always goes to building the depot up.

With lantus it isn't a really good idea to give "extra" shot, though I understand why you did.

Do you know for sure how much the boarding facility gave, if they skipped any shots or what the time interval was between shots? Can you get copy of his records?

Chimi's Witch likes this.
  5. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

I understand we need to administer insulin regularly, but he hadn't had any intake of food and we thought we shouldn't give it without a meal given he has a history of going hypoglycemic. Midday today was when we thought it shouldn't continue. Are you thinking we should give more since it's so high? Even without food?

He has been home for 2 weeks since the boarding visit, but they kept him generally on the same schedule. Might have been shifted by an hour or so. They gave an additional shot once during the week he was boarded because he had a reading of 690, but that caused a crash all the way to 30. Given what I've read about this sort of erratic response to the insulin it seems like we it is pancreatitis? His condition tonight has us wondering if we can do anything more. ER? He's drinking water, but not eating.

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Have you checked ketones? With numbers so high, not eating, the possible pancreatitis, and current symptoms please be sure to test as soon as you can, I worry about DKA. If you are unable to test at home, I would take to the ER vet.

7. Olive & Paula

Why do you think it's pancreatitis? Have you or can you check for ketones? Either by ketone meter or using a urine dip stik. If he has been this way since Friday and not eating and no insulin you might consider a trip to ER to rule out DKA which can happen very quickly and be super serious condition to treat.

8. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

Ketone screen on Saturday was negative (thank goodness)

9. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

No ketones Saturday at his vet. Could this onset just today, though? That fast?

He was having some discomfort in his abdomen as the vet and the tech were trying to palpate to get a urine sample. Also, I think it was the responses in his blood glucose following insulin administration (not coming down at all or very little, but sometimes suddenly drop to hypoglycemic). She drew blood for SpecfPL test. Hope to know results soon. Stupid Sundays always seem to be the day that things go wrong

10. Olive & Paula

Because they gave 2nd shot was why he went hypo. Lantus can not be dosed like that.

Yes I think an ER trip could be in order.

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Not enough insulin + inappetence + inflammation/infection is the recipe for DKA. Even without food, with numbers that high he needs insulin. I would not give another shot right now, rather 12 hrs from the last one (so midnight of I'm following?)

Even if it isn't DKA, the ER vet could run a SnapfPL to check for pancreatitis. They can also give fluids if he's dehydrated. And he's likely nauseous, will need anti nausea.meds like Cerenia and/or ondansetron. Possibly an appetite stimulant.

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely

13. Olive & Paula

Can happen in a matter of minutes.

14. Olive & Paula

Add pain medication to that list.

15. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

Ok, thank you. Just look back over his paperwork and saw that the DKA scan on Saturday was negative, but sounds like we're not out of the woods on that one.

16. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

Thank you. DKA scan on Saturday was negative, but sounds like that doesn't matter given last 36 hrs

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Don't believe the vet's test for ketones in urine. Use a blood ketone meter or get them - the vet - to test BLOOD for ketones. I have had urine tests negative when there were significant blood ketones.

18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I thought I saw she already gave him Buprenex somewhere?

@Chimi's Witch if have urine dipsticks for ketones or can get them very quickly, please test. If unable to, my recommendation is ER vet.

You may want to try assist feeding as well to get some.thijgnim him, but small amounts at a time. Ideally not his usual food because they can develop and aversion to anything assist fed

19. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

I have administered Buprenex twice (once yesterday post-vet visit and once earlier today). He's coming up on his next dose, but I'm thinking I may just take him to the ER without administering so they can assess and give it.

Have tried to give dry kibble, treats, wet food, wet food watered down in a spoon...he won't go for anything :(

I don't have ability to test for ketones here. Test on Saturday was negative, but I know understand how quickly that can change. Thank you!

Olive & Paula and FrostD like this.
  20. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

We have Buprenex at home and have administered.

Olive & Paula likes this.
  21. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

Thank you all so much! We are heading to the ER. Hope to update with some positive news soon. Appreciate you all!

Olive & Paula and FrostD like this.
  22. Suzanne & Darcy

Good luck. I hope you get good care and answers at the ER. I've been there many times.

23. Olive & Paula

Good luck. Post when you can. I got ER on speed dial. I usually call them when I'm on the road (45 minutes away). And alert them and give history. I also make copies of records to give them, so as soon as I pull in, they could take her right back and not waste time getting all the info.

24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good luck at the ER, I hope you get some answers. While there, maybe pick up some a/d or Royal Canin Recovery. Both are good foods for syringe feeding so you can make sure she gets some food in her at shot time. Some reading if you end up waiting in the car:
    Not all insulin goes towards the carbs in the meal. It is an essential part of helping feed the cells. Cats undergoing anaesthesia who cannot have food are usually suggested to have a half dose, so that's usually an OK amount to give.

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you everyone, I'm glad she's on her way to the ER :bighug:
    Please post when you can. :bighug:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  26. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

Reporting back in, very very sadly to say we had to let Chimi go tonight. It was bad DKA and he was suffering. Thank you all again for your urgency, attention, and compassion. We are heartbroken, but glad he isn't in misery.

27. Olive & Paula

So very sorry for your loss. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Suzanne & Darcy

I am so saddened to read this. My condolences. I know how much this hurts.

29. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear this , so sorry for your loss :bighug:

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

I am so so sorry, my heart aches for you.
    Fly high sweet Chimi ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

31. Chimi's Witch

Chimi's Witch New Member

Thank you, Diane. And for all of your and this community's help. I truly believe my sweet Chimi would have suffered longer without the input I received here. cat_wings>o

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are welcome, please take care of yourself and again, I'm so sorry ♥